|Alt names||Alburwic||source: Wikipedia|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Edlingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Edlingham, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Abberwick is a village near the River Aln in the English county of Northumberland. It was known as Alburwic in the 12th century. The name is Anglo-Saxon Old English 'Aluburg's dairy farm'.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Abberwick was a township in the ancient parish of Edlingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into Edlingham.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Abberwick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ABBERWICK, a township in Edlingham parish, Northumberland; on the river Alne, 3½ miles W of Alnwick. Acres: 1,673. Population: 133. Houses: 26."
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.