Place:Abberton, Essex, England

Watchers


NameAbberton
Alt namesEdburgetunasource: Wikipedia
Edburghetunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.833°N 0.9°E
Located inEssex, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Abberton is a village in Essex, England. It is located approximately east of Abberton Reservoir and is south of Colchester. The village is in the borough of Colchester and in the parliamentary constituency of North Essex. The town is served by Abberton and Langenhoe Parish Council.

There is a post office in the village.

Abberton is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086-7 as Edburghetuna and as Edburgetuna in the Hundred of Winstree, when it was part of the lands of Count Eustace in Essex, held by Ralph de Marcy and further held by Ranulf Peverel in demesne; it was held by Siward, a free man, as a manor in the time of King Edward before the Norman Conquest of 1066.

Abberton is among the villages which suffered damage from the 1884 Colchester earthquake.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Abberton, Essex. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.