Facts and Events
Early Land Acquisition in Orange County, VA
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 240-45. 20-21 Feb. 1737 . Zachary Taylor of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, Gent., to James Lindsey of St. Mary's Parish, Caroline County, planter. Lease and release; for £48 current money. 600 acres, part of 1,000 acres granted to Zachary Taylor 28 Sept. 1728... corner to Thomas Ham... corner to David Williams... corner to James Stodghill... corner to Thomas Ham near the foot of Parker's Mountain... (signed) Zach Taylor. Wit: H. Bell, John Ransdell, Joshua Lindsey. 23 Feb. 1737  Acknowledged by Zachary Taylor, Gent. Elizabeth his wife relinquished her right of dower. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 47].
- Pages 2-3. 21 Aug. 1738. Zachary Taylor of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, Gent., to John Rucker of same, Gent. For £5.10.-. 27 acres on a branch of Pamunky River, part of a tract whereon the said Zachary Taylor now lives... by a branch side the lower corner of the said John Rucker's... in George Anderson's line... (signed) Zach. Taylor. Wit: Robert Green, John Pagans, Robt. Stuart. 24 Aug. 1738. Acknowledged by Zachary Taylor, Gent. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 3, Dorman, pg. 1].
Estate Records of Zachary Taylor
- Pages 391-94. Mr. Zachary Taylor. Inventory. 29 March 1768. Appraisers sworn by Capt. Rowland Thomas. Total valuation £910.1.9, including 26 slaves valued at £792.10.0. (signed) Robert Terrell, William Bell, Andrew Shephers. 28 April 1768. Returned. [Orange County Virginia Will book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 78-79].
Records of Zachary Taylor in Spotsylvania County, VA
- Oct. 1, 1734. James COWARD, of St. Mark’s Par., Spts. Co., planter, to John ZACHARY of par. and co. afsd, planter. £30 curr., 100 a. in St. Mark’s Part., spts. Co.—part of a pat. to Wm. PHILLIPS and Nicholas CHRISTOPHER. Robt. SLAUGHTER, Zach. TAYLOR, Benja. POWELL. Oct. 1, 1734. Elizabeth, wife of James COWARD, acknowledged her dower, etc. [Spotsylvania County Deed Book C, 1734-1742].
- June 4, 1734. William x EDDINGS of St. Mark’s Par., Culp. Co., planter, to William JORDAN of Lunenburg Par., Richmond Co., Gent. £60 surr., 349 a. in St. Mark’s Par., Spts. Co.—part of two tracts of land, one granted EDDINGS by pat. June 30, 1726, the other bought by EDDINGS of Wm. MCCONNICO, the sd. two tracts sold by sd. EDDINGS to Duncan BUCHANNAN and repurchased from sd. BUCHANNAN by sd. EDDINGS, as by Deeds, Novr. 2, 1731. G. HOME, Zach. TAYLOR, Jno. WILLSON. June 4, 1734. Rebecca, wife of Wm. EDDINGS, acknowledged her dower, etc. [Spotsylvania County Deed Book C, 1734-1742].
Information on Zachary Taylor
Established Meadows Farm plantation and acquired 26 slaves.
- ↑ Roberts, Gary Boyd. Ancestors of American Presidents. (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009), p. 33.
Grandfather of Pres. Zachary Taylor: 4. Zachary Taylor, Orange Co. 17 Apr. 1707-Orange Co. ante 29 Mar 1768, prob. Northumberland Co, Va., c. 1734.
- ↑ Anderson, William Kyle. Donald Robertson and his wife Rachel Rogers of King and Queen County, Virginia: their ancestry and posterity : also a brief account of the ancestry of Commodore Richard Taylor of Orange County, Virginia, and his naval history during the War of the American Revolution. (Detroit, Mich.: unknown, 1900), p. 235.