Facts and Events
Zachariah McKay was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Land Records in Augusta County, VA
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Deed Book No. 15- Page 52.--22d June, 1768. Zechoriah McKay (and Lydia), Moses McKay (and Mary), Robert and James McKay, of Frederick County, to John Lincon (Linkhorn), £250, 600 acres on Linvel's Creek, part of 1,200 acres patented to McKay, Green and Hite, 26th March, 1739, and by them convey to Robert McKay, 20th June, 1746. and by Robert devised to grantors here; corner Tunis Vanpeet's land; Boman's line. Teste: Michael Waren, John ( ) Jackson. Delivered: John Linkhorn, December, 1768.
- Deed Book No. 15- Page 57.--23d June, 1768. Robert, James, Zachoriah and Moses McKay,of Frederick County, to Tunis Vanpeet, £__, 300 acres on Linvel's Creek, part of 1,200 acres above; corner Thomas Bryant's; corner John Lincon. Delivered: Tunis Vanpeet, December, 1768. Page 474
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 18, 1746/7. - (168) Road ordered from Caleb Jones's mill down to County line, James McKay, Moses McKay, Henry Harding, John Hill, Philip Crine, Thos. Land, Wm. Hursh, Thos. Burk, Wm. Harrel, Thos. Grubbs, Wm. Hawkins, Zachery McKay, Joshua Job, James McNeal, Adam Cunningham, Jacob Sterrell, Charles Coxe, Charles Burk, Ephrm. Leech, Caleb Job.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 28, 1751. - (571) Road ordered from Caleb Job's to James McKay's, crossing the river at a place called the Brush Bottom Ford, and so along the river by Henry Spears' plantation, and that the said Spears, with Mason Combs, John Sallers, Richard Sheitz, William Hurst, William Overall, Thomas Hues, Zachariah McCoy, Torrance Carroll, Wm. Dickenson, Steven Philips, Alexr. Gunnod (?), James McNeal, John Hawkins, Benj. Grider, Ephraim Leath, Charles Williamson, Josiah Parent, Wm. Parent, Thomas Parent, Edmond Bollen, Adam Coningham, Francis Grubbs, keep it in repair.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752. - Petition of inhabitants of the North side of the South River of Shenandore for a road. About 3 years ago it was ordered to open a road from Caleb Job's plantation down the South side of the said North River to James McCoy's plantation, which road is not suitable, and prepare a location on North side crossing the river at a place called the Brush Bottom Ford and so along the river by Henry Speer's plantation. Prayer for survey: Mason Combs, William Hurst, Zachariah Mackay, Stephen Phillips, John Hankins, Charles Thompson, Thomas Parent, Adam Cunningham, John Sellers, Wm. Overall, Terence Corcal, Alexander Gunnel, Benjamin Guden, Josiah Parent, Edmon Bollin, Thomas Grubs, Richard Shirley, Thomas Hues, Wm. Dickerson, Thomas McNeal, Ephraim Leeth, William Parent.