William Wilson, of Jackson's River, Augusta & Bath County, VA
Facts and Events
William Wilson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- "Annals of Augusta County, Virginia", by Joseph Addison Waddell, pg. 417
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
William Wilson had land surveyed (100 acres on Jackson's River), near the Cowpasture in 1754, and also had additional land surveyed in 1765. [Annals of Bath County, Virginia, pg. 33]
The following Chalkley's record mentions William Wilson on Jackson River, next to Joseph Mays:
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1753. - Joseph Mays vs. John Lewis.--In 1746, Mays bought 500 acres of Lewis in Cowpasture, and on Jackson's River, latter adjoining William Wilson, surveyor, was James Trimble, alias Turnbull.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 227.--18th March, 1767. Wm. Willson and Barbara to Duncan McFarland, £30, 100 acres on Jackson's River.
From "Abstracts of the Wills and Inventories of Bath County, Virginia, 1791-1842, by Jean Randolph Bruns:
- Pg. 49. Will of William Wilson, dated Sept. 11, 1794.
- Wit: William Wilson, Jr., Stephen Wilson and Robert Given
- Probated February 1795 court
- Exec: son John and daughter Susana. The Rev. William Wilson to be overseer and guardian of heirs
- Beq: to daughter Susana parcel of land including dwelling house and other buildings on and near the mouth of Stoney Run
- to daughter Elizabeth another tract on Stoney Run
- to daughter Barbara land containing "the big spring of mineral water"
- to Susana, Negro woman Phoba and little mulatto girl Sally
- to Elizabeth, Negro woman Pat and Strother a mulatto boy
- to Barbara mulatto woman Lucy
- Negro man Jerry to Susana for life, then Elizabeth, then Barbara: "after the deaths of all three, Jerry shall be a free man"
- 5 pounds to son John from debt owed by Stephen
- 1 to daughter Margaret Green
- two-year old heifers to grandaughter Jenny Green and grandson William Wilson
- yearling heifer to nephew William Wilson, son of Stephen
- "to the poor of the county three pounds to be divided to them by the overseers of the poor"
- to Susana a chest of drawers and corner cupboard (she to pay Elizabeth and Barbara 20 shillings for this).
- stock to the three daughters, also saddles, beds, furniture and cash, and any balance remaining.
- No appraisal to be made
From: "Annals of Augusta County, Virginia", by Joseph Addison Waddell, pg. 417:
Note: based upon other sources, the birthdates for William Wilson, Barbara McKane and their son Col. John Wilson are incorrect and much too early, and may be confused with other Wilson settlers to Augusta County
William Wilson and his wife, Barbara McKane, were married in Dublin, Ireland. They came to America about 1720, and settled at Forks of Brandy wine, Chester county, Pennsylvania. At that place, their son John, mentioned above, was born, in December, 1732 In the fall of 1747, this family came to Augusta, and settled near New Providence church. John went to school to Robert Alexander, and became a skilful surveyor. The Rev. William Wilson, of Augusta, was a cousin of William Wilson and wrote his will.
In 1762, William Wilson and his family removed to Jackson's river, now Highland county, near Stony Run church. The next year they were assailed by a band of Indians, supposed to have been a part of those who perpetrated the first Kerr's Creek massacre. [See "The Raid upon the Wilson Family."]
After this Indian raid the Wilsons returned to the neighborhood of New Providence, and remained there till the close of the Revolutionary war, when they went back to Jackson's river. William Wilson died in March, 1795.
At the outbreak of the Revolution, John Wilson entered the military service, and he is said to have commanded a regiment of militia at the siege of Yorktown. Previous to the war he married Isabella Seawright, but she died childless in a short time. In .December, 1785, he married Sally Alexander, daughter of his old teacher. He was one of the first justices of Bath, when that county was established, in 1791. His wife died in 1808, and he on the 21st of January, 1820.
The children of Colonel John Wilson were a son, William, born January 9, 1787, at the house of his grandfather, Robert Alexander; and two daughters, Peggy, who married Mr. Hanna, of Greenbrier, and Esther, who married Major John Bolar, of Bath.
William Wilson, Jr., married Sally McClung. His children were John, who died unmarried, Susan, who married Washington Stephenson, and Sarah, who married Adam Stephenson, of Highland county.
- History of the WILSON Family
In 1729 William WILSON the founder of this WILSON family in America, then a young man, left Dublin Ireland to seek his fortune and new home beyond the braod water. On the ninth of Aug. he landed in New Castle DE. And recorded the fact and date with his own hand, in a book he brought with him. And which is the same old book above mentioned and now before me.
The family traditon is that he smuggled this book out of Ireland, it there being contrary to law to bring such books out of the country and to America.
William WILSON soon moved to Chester Co. PA where he married. His wife was an orphan who had been reared by an uncle. Whose property she inherited at his death, he being childless.
But little is now known of them after ((?)) while they remarried in Chester, except that they reared a family of two sons & three daughters, ((You'll notice there are 4 dtrs listed)) married as follows: John, William, Margaret, Elizabeth, Susan, and Barbara.
Early in 1753 the family removed to Augusta Co, VA where they at first located in the settlements while the sons John & William went into the wilderness some 20 miles or more from other settlements when they located on the head waters of Jackson River at a point now in Hardy Co. VA. Here they ((?)) and some land and planted and raised a crop of corn, thus securing what was known as a "corn-right title" to so much and, say 400 acres.
In the following year (1754) William WILSON Sr. and the remainder of the family all moved to this settlement, for a permanent home--- Here they lived in conformative peace and quiet with such comfort and contentment as a frontier settlement afforded until 1760. When the youthful Shawnee Brave Cornstalk afterwards to become so famous a historical character led his memeorable Indian raind against the fated Greenbriar and Jackson River settlements.
After exterminating the Muddy Creek and Big Level settlements about one hundred souls, all told, a portion of the raiding party (?) on up the Greenbriar river through what is now Pocahantas Co. and crossed over to attack the Wilson settlement and others on Jackson River.
Just at this time, the Wilson's were erecting a new and longer log house than the original cabin that had hitherto served them.
John had gone to Dickinson Fort, not far away to get some help for the house-raising. Next day while William had gone to little mill about a mile distant, to get some meal ground for the house-raising party.
Two of the sisters, Margaret and Elizabeth were out on the riverbank, washing some flaxton. Mrs. Wilson, who was in feeble health had walked out to where they were at work. An Irishman, who was a weaver, had a loom in the yard and was weaving, two of the sisters, Susan and Barbara were in the cabin ironing the family clothes. And the father, with some other men were at work on the new house logs. When the attack was made.
William WILSON Sr. who lived to beyond 90 left this farm to his three unmarried dtrs and when they passed away it fell to the children of his son, John WILSON and his (Wm WILSON'S) eldest daughter Margaret or "Peggy" who had married Mr William GREEN. She left an only child a daughter who married Mr. John STEVENSON.
Help fund new features!