William Walker, of the Conodogunit
- H. William Walker, of the Conodogunit1691 - 1757
- W. Mary
Facts and Events
- Source:Egles Notes and Queries
- Source:Weiser, 1898
- Cumberland County Orphan Court 16 Aug 1768
- Cumberland County Orphan Court 7 Sep 1768
- Notebook:Walker Land Records in Lancaster County
- Analysis:Immigration date of the Letterkenney Walkers
- Analysis:Is the William Walker who died at McCormicks Fort William 186?
- Pexton Manor, Cumberland, PA
- McCormicks Fort, Huntingdon County, PA
- List of Records for William Walker in Chalkley's Chronicles
William Walker is believed to have been born about 1691 in Ireland, and to have immigrated to America with his father Person:James Walker (160), and several uncles, sometime before 1734.  Unsourced materials suggest that William married Elizabeth Curry in Philadelphia, prior to 1715. This implies that the date of immigration could have been no later than 1715. If correct, this raises the question of where William was living prior to his appearance in what is now Cumberland County in 1734. Direct documentation of this marriage has not so far been located. William was part of a large extended family known as the Letterkenney Walkers. Examining early records for other members of this family may give insight into the timing, and whereabouts of their settlement in early years.
Some of the Letterkenney Walkers settled on the east side of the Susquehanna in what would become Lancaster, Dauphin, and Lebanon Counties. William, and his brother Robert, settled to the west of the Susquehanna, in the area that would become East Pennsboro Township, Cumberland County. In 1734 William entered a survey for a parcel on Conodoguinet Creek, a tributary of the Susquehanna. This area would later become East Pennsboro Township, Cumberland County, PA. Williams land lay a few miles northeast of Silver's Spring Presbyterian Church.
|March 18, 1733/34. William Walker, 400 acres, on the south side of the Conodoguinet, three miles above Pexton Mannor,  "where he had liberty from the honorable Proprietor to settle October last". From A history of Cumberland Valley, citing the Blunston licenses.
Elizabeth is believed to have died sometime before 1757, whereupon William remarried to Mary, last name unknown. Direct evidence for Elizabeth's death, and the remarriage to Mary is not at hand. If, however, this is accepted, then subsequent orphan's court records show that William died by 1768, and that the administerix of his estate was indeed a "Mary". Four children are identified in these records:John, the eldest son, William, Thomas, and Samuel. The later is identified as a minor in 1768, age 14, giving him a DOB of c1754, for whom a guardian is appointed by the court. These records show that Mary has remarried, to a James Stuart. These facts suggest that Mary is indeed William's second wife, otherwise records for the William's four sons would not have appeared in the Orphan's court, nor would a guardian have been appointed for Samuel.
An account in the Pennsylvania Gazette of 13 May, 1757 notes that a William Walker was killed by Indians near McCormicks Fort on the Conodoguinet. The exact location of McCormicks Fort on the Conodoguinet is not known. 
May 13, 1757, William Walker and another man were killed near McCormick's fort, at Conodoguinet.
Mirror of olden time border life By Joseph Pritts, Alexander Scott Withers.
<||The identity of this William Walker is somewhat problematic. There were a number of related William Walkers in the area, and genealogists have at various times used the 1757 DOD for different William Walkers.
This date (1757) is commonly cited as the DOD of William 186. See Analysis:Is the William Walker who died at McCormicks Fort William 186?. This is particularly plausible since William's land on the Conodoguinet is directly opposite land owned by Samuel McCormick. A reasonable case can be made that "McCormick's Fort" was on their land.
- ↑ Source:Egle's Notes and Queries gives his date of death as prior to 1768, probably based on probate documents. A DOD of 1757 is sometimes cited, based on newspaper articles of the time of the death of a William Walker at McCormick's Fort on Conodoguinet Creek. This is thought to be unlikely. See Analysis:Is the William Walker who died at McCormicks Fort William 186?
- ↑ Source:Egles Notes and Queries.
- ↑ See Index to the Blunston Licenses, and Notebook:Walker Land Records in Lancaster County. Lancaster County Deed Abstracts by Mayhill, 1973, lists several deeds involving William Walker, for land on Conodoguinet Creek, beginning 1744. See [http://books.google.com/books?um=1&q=%22McCormick%27s+fort%22+%22Conodoguinet%22+Walker&btnG=Search+Books Indians, Indians, by Hayes R. Eschenmann, 1992.
- ↑ Pexton Manor was a 7000 acre tract reserved for the use of the Indians. It lay in the general area between modern Camp Hill, Lemoye, and New Cumberland. See:Google Maps
- ↑ McCormicks Fort on the Conodoguinet should not be confused with a similarly named fort constructed in 1778 by Robert McCormick in the Juanita River Basin. See McCormicks Fort, Huntingdon County, PA
- ↑ There appear to have abeen two separate forts known as "McCormicks Fort". The newspaper account of 1757 clearly places McCormicks Fort where William Walker was killed in Cumberland County on the Conodoguinet. Report of the Commission to Locate the Site of the Frontier Forts of Pennsylvania places a "McCormicks Fort" in Huntingdon County, near Neff's Mill. This location is west of the Blue Mountains, so NOT on the Conodoguinet, and dates to a period 20 years later.