Facts and Events
William Snowdon was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 210.--14th May, 1754. John Wilkins, of Province of Carolina to Wm. Snoden, 200 acres, part of 1,265 acres. Acknowledged in open court.
- Page 129 - William Snowden, 467 acres, West Fork of Cooks Creek. Adjoining Edward Shanklin. Mentioned John Wilkins and (Alexander) Herron. January 24, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 47].
- Page 182.--28th March, 1763. Samuel Wilkins, of Anson County, North Carolina, to William Snodden, £15, 70 acres, part of 1,264 acres patented to Robt. McCoy and Co., 26th March, 1739, and conveyed to Samuel by McCoy & Co., on west branch of Cook's Creek; coroner Alexander Heron's land; corner said Snodden's land. Delivered: Wm. Snodon, March, 1769.
Records in Virginia
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records (unless listed otherwise):
- Page 288.--23d May, 1751. Robert Rallstone and Martha, to Thomas Bradshaw, 364 acres, Moffett's branch of Cathey's River; corner John Smith; patented to Robert, 15th December, 1749. Teste: William Snadon, Alex. Gardner. (likely this William Snowden)
- Page 311.--17th May. 1759. Samuel Scott's estate settlement, by Robert Scott and Robert Hooks, executors. Paid Thos. Stevenson, Christopher Zimmerman, Robt. McFarson, David Nelson, Henry Downs, Saml. Wilkins, Wm. Craig, Wm. Snodon, Margaret Fowler, William Jordan, Jno. Vought, Patrick Cain, Doctor Harrison, Hugh Thompson, Jonathan Gibson, Jas. Beard; 1 coffin for Samuel Scott; 1 coffin for George Scott; keeping 3 negroes one year, nine months, bv R. Scott. Vendue to, viz: David Crighton, Jno. Paul Fought, David Logan, Jas. Underwood, James Berkley, widow McDonald, Patrick Quin. Joseph Kinkade, John Love, Bernard Man, Jacob Pence, John Wilkins, Ann Scott.
- Page 75.--19th August. 1761. Daniel Smith's settlement of estate of Jacob Sivers approved--Paid Woolrick Conrod, Gabriel Kyle; paid 1 clerk's note for swearing into your commission; paid Jno. Wright for crying the vendue; paid Henry Pircy for liquor; paid David Rule; paid Christian Lower (Sower?); paid Paul Shaver; paid Horrical Hufman; paid Henry Baninger; paid Sarah Harrison for liquor for vendue; paid Margaret Johnson for appraising the estate. Sale bill, viz: To John McCoy, Valentine Butcher, Henry Smith, Wm. Snodon, Saml. Briggs, Robt. Gragg, Jno. Dunkle, Ludwick Waggoner, Jno. Skidmore, Jonas Friend, Nicholas Havener. Received of Benj. Hagler, Robt. Minnis, Henry Penigar.
- Page 191.--20th March, 1766. Robert Shanklin's will--To brother Edward's five daughters; to Elizabeth Evans; to brother Thon; to Edward and his son Robert and his youngest sons; to brother Jhon; to Richd. Shanklin; to Jonathan Evans; to Elizabeth Evans; to sister Margaret; to Robert and John Shanklin; to brother John; to Ro. and John Edwards' two sons and his son John. Teste: John Fairbairn, Darkis Snodon. Proved, 22d March, 1769, by the witnesses. Edward Shanklin qualified executor. with Wm. Snodon, Andrew Johnston.
- Page 188.--2d October, 1768. John Shanklin's will--To sister, £5; to sister Margaret, £4; to cousin Elebth Evans; to cousin Richard Shanklin; to Margaret Shanklin; to sister Ann; to cousin Joseph; to cousins Evan and Jonathan; to brother Edward, executor. Teste: John Fairbairn, Wm. Snodon. Proved, 22d March, 1769, by the witnesses. Edward Shanklind qualified, with Wm. Snodon, Andw. Johnston.
- Page 145 - William Herron, 225 acres between Cooks Creek and North River. Adjoining Snowdon, McClure and his own land. January 24, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 52].
- Page 129 - Alexander Herron, 750 acres, West Branch of Cook's Creek, 498 acres, being part of a larger tract of land containing 1,200 acres granted by patent to Robert McKay and others the 26th day of March 1739 and then transfered to Samuel Wilkins who at sundry times conveyed the said 498 acres to the aforesaid Herron. Adjoining Patrick Quin (on the East side of Cooks Creek) Johnston, William Snowdon, Trotter, Harrison. January 28, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 46-47].
- Page 5 - John McGill, 242 acres, North River. Adjoining James Munay, William Herring, Snodden. May 19, 1780. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 98].