Facts and Events
William Oldham was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 369.--20th August, 1771. Patrick Hamilton and Agness (signed Ann) to William Oldham, £20, 90 acres on Middle River of Shanandore, joining George Lewis, corner to that small piece of said tract laid off for said Lewis; corner Robert Reed. Delivered: Alexander Reed, August, 1779.
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond: 1769-- October 11, William Oldham. (Note: Bride's name not listed).
Will of William Oldham
- Pg. 141 - Will of William Oldham, dated Sept. 20, 1797
- Wit: Joshua Ewings and Aron Ewings
- Probated September 1799 Court
- Exec: John McNeel, Abraham McNeel and James Robuck "of which trouble they will receive no recompense until the resurrection of the just"
- Beq: to wife Jean all land and personal estate for life
- lands to sons William, Thomas, Joseph and David
- to four daughters, Serah, Nancy, Elizabeth and Rose a horse and saddle and featherbed and, when his wife dies, an equal share of the "movables" and any cash
- to sons Edward and Henry five shillings each
- [Abstract of Wills and Inventories of Bath County, 1791-1842, Bruns, pg. 17].
- Pg. 150 - Inventory - William Oldham - 661 pounds, 33 shilling
- Submitted October 1799 Court by William Edmiston, Samuel Gilliland and David Hannah
- Cattle 16, hogs 5, sheep 12, horses 5, geese 25, loom, 3 bedstands, 3 spinning wheels, 4 featherbeds, furniture, farm tools, note of Henry Oldham, account of John Blair of Augusta.
- [Abstract of Wills and Inventories of Bath County, 1791-1842, Bruns, pg. 19].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records: (unless otherwise listed)
- Page 207 - George Lewis, 106 acres, Middle River. Adjoining Robert Read, John Patterson, William Oldham, William Hamilton. December 9, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 75].
- Page 474.-(undated, appears to be abt. 1773) - Patent to Robert Reed, adjoining William Oldham. Mortgage.
- Page 227 - Samuel Erwin, 167 acres, Middle River. Adjoining James Allen, Barbara Smith, William Oldham, William Hamilton. July 1, 1773. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 81].
- Page 212.-(undated, appears to be abt. 1774) - Tract on which William Oldham now lives.
- Page 524.-(undated, appears to be abt. 1774) - Tract whereon William Oldham now lives.
- Vol. 2 - Delinquents, Augusta County Levy for 1779: Wm. Oldham, gone to Greenbrier.
- ↑ Ancestry.com Public Member Trees.
Note: this Ancestry Member Tree claims William was born in 1720 (no sources or rationale listed). He was likely born later, perhaps bet. 1735-1745. More research needed.