Facts and Events
Listed in "Canadian City and Area Directories 1819-1906" for 1866, Page 62 - Lindsay Needler & Sadler [William Needler & Thomas Sadler] proprietors, Lindsay saw and grist mills, Kent St., East.
"Lovell's Canadian Dominion Directory 1871" - Lindsay Dominion 474 Directory [Province of Ontario] Needler & Sadler, mill owners, Kent St. East Needler, William of Needler & Sadler, Russell St.
The walls of the Needler/Sadler mill can still be seen on the south side of the Scugog River just east of Lindsay St. and north of Kent. The following description can be found on the internet: " The stone structure was built to replace earlier mills destroyed in the fire of 1861. The old mill, containing a stone flour mill as well as a lumber mill, was built in 1869 by William Needler and Thomas Sadler. There was a tramway built across the river to the railway tracks and from there the finished lumber and flour were transported to larger centers. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1978 which left the building in a state of total ruin."
Needler and Sadler had at least one real estate transaction as evidenced by the sale on February 28, 1871 of Lot 28, south of Ridout St. and west of Georgian in the town of Lindsay to Joseph Demara. The deed is on file at the Victoria County Historical Society, catalogue #2011.119.1
1900 Bell Telephone book: Tel. # 125, Needler, Wm., residence Mill & Lindsay.
William Needler's sister, Sarah Ann, was married to Thomas Sadler.
William is buried at Lindsay's Riverview Cemetery.