Facts and Events
Records of William McMahon (McMechen) in Orange County, VA
- Wm. McMachen (among many others including Robert Wilson, John Calvert, Thomas Willson, William Hoge) signed a petition for the Court to "suspend an order to build a waggon or cart road from the forks of the Sherendo (Shenandoah) River over the Blue Mountains, which they conveive impossible to be made without so much expence and trouble that the advantage thereof will not countervaile the same, the said mountains being so irigullar steep, hilly and rocky", in 1736. [Orange County Virginia Judgements, 1736, Dorman, pg. 100].
- William McMahan mentioned in the will of John Calvert as follows: "My loving wife Jane Colvert and my beloved sons Robert and Isiah Calvert and my friend and brother Wm. McMahan my executors. William also posted bond in John Calvert's probate proceedings. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 19].
- Wm. McMachen signed the estate inventory of Peter Faulkler on 24 May 1739. The appraisers were David Vance, John Frost and Hugh Parell. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 23].
- Wm. Machen signed the Estate Inventory of John Calvert on 23 May 1740. The appraisers listed were David Vance Senr., Robert Allen and David Vance Junr.. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 24-25].
- Wm. McMahon listed in estate sale of Micah Shepard on 23 9br [Nov.]. as follows:
- Wm. McMahon. - To a hat at - £0.11. 3. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 28].
- Wm. McMahon listed in the estate sale of Edward Glover on 27 May 1742 as follows:
- Wm. McMahon - To one candle stick and buckett at - £1.10 [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 44].
- Pages 196-98 [195 blank]. 20-21 June 1739. James Wright of Opeckan in Orange County to John Cheadle of Caroline County. Lease and release; for £9 current money. 219 acres upon the drafts of Opeckan and on the west side thereof, known by the name of James Wright's and John Littler's tract of land, taken up betwixt them by survey 438 acres by patent 12 Nov. 1735. (signed) James Wright, John Littler. Wit: Thomas Farmer, Wm. McMachen, Robert Calvert. 28 June 1739. Acknowledged by John Littler. Proved by Thomas Farmer, Wm. McMachen and Robert Calvert. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 3, Dorman, pg. 14].
- Page 497. 10 March 1743. Commission to Morgan Morgan, David Vaunce, Marquis Calmes and Wm. McMahcn of Frederick County to take the acknowledgement of James Smith, wife of Robert Smith, to deeds of 14 Mayu 1740 for 295 acres, lying in Orange County before the division of Frederick County from Orange County, to Robert Wilson of Frederick County.
- 26 March 1744. Jane Smith relinquished her right of dower before William McMachen and David Vaunce. 30 June 1744. Privy examination returned. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 3, Dorman, pg. 33].
Records of William McMahon in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1747-8-- page 14, Wm. McMachen, in Frederick County.
Information on William McMahon
From Genforum.com post:
(Colonel, also Gentleman) William McMachen (McMahon), b 1690-95(?) in Scotland, m ca 1720-23 Elizabeth _____ in Wales, d 1749 in Winchester, Fredrick Co. VA. [Elizabeth (Blair?), b ? in Wales, d ? (living? in Yohogania Co VA in 1778 when an Elizabeth McMahon appeared in court 26 May 1788, court held on Andrew Heath farm. Her son, Richard appeared in court on the same day, also Andrew Heath was her grandson).] Wm, and his family, probably came to Am between 1733 and 1737. He was a Justice in Orange Co. and also in Old Frederick Co. VA after it was split off from Orange Co.
- Children (all born in Ireland) were:
- 1. John b ca 1723 m Isabella Barnes
- 2. Richard b ca 1725 m Agnes (Ann)Lilburn
- 3. William b ca 1727 m (1) ____ ____?
m(2) Mrs. Elizabeth Cartmell)
m(3) Christian ____?
- 4. Margaret b ca 1729 m James Bruce
- 5. Agnes (Ann) b ca 1731 m Capt. Henry Heath
- 6. Jane b ca 1733 no record
- Source: http://genforum.genealogy.com/mcmahon/messages/1125.html
- Judy & Gary Griffin, email@example.com. Hutchinson - Laird - Griffin - Eggleston and Related Families.
Help fund new features!