Facts and Events
William McClung was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
William McClung's land (Borden Tract NE, 2 Tracts: 1) 314 acres, patented in 1746; 2) 165 acres patented in 1754/64 (as shown on the J.R. Hildebrand Map)) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 207.--19th March, 1746. Benj. Borden to William McClung (sold in lifetime of Benjamin); 314 acres, 3 R., 25 P., for £9.7.0, part of 92,100 acres; John Stevenson's line; Andrew Baxter's stake. Witnessed and acknowledged as above.
- William McClung acquired a 165 acre tract, possibly in 1754, as shown in the J.R. Hildebrand Map, adjoining his 314-acre tract previously acquired in 1746.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 75.--20th March, 1759. Wm. McClung to Jno. McClung, £10, 26 acres; corner Stephenson's land. Teste: James Wellch, Andrew Crop.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 276.--1760: Processioned in Capt. Moore's Company by John Stephson, Nathaniel Evins: For Nathaniel Evins, for Wm. McCreerey, for Thos. Willson, for John Stevenson, for John McClung, for Wm. McClung, for Alex. Moore, for Adam Reed, for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Paris, for Thomas Bard, for John Cunningham, for Mathew Huston, for John Mountgumery, for Wm. Moore, for Wm. Lockridge, for Thomas Boyd, for John Boyd, for Thomas Hill, for Robert Ware (Wire), for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Beard, for Wm. Wardlaw, for Andrew Steel, for James Steel, for Joseph Kennedy, for John Lowry, for Samuel Huston, for James Eakins, for John Hanly, for John Logan, for Alex. Logan, for Alex. McNutt, for James McNutt, for John Rosman, for Andrew Dunkin, for John Wardlaw, for Wm. McCanless, for James Cowdan, for John Moore. (Note: William McClung and his father John are likely the ones listed in this processioning list).
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 513.--15th September, 1748. Andrew Baxter's will. Wife, Margaret. 100 acres during her life, then to Andrew Stevenson, adjoining Wm. McClung. Legatee, Nathaniel Evans; legatee, Andrew Evans; legatee, John Pal; legatee, Jacob Anderson. Teste: Wm. McClung, George Stinson, David Moore. Proved. 15th August, 1753. by all witnesses; administrator granted Andrew Stevenson, who qualifies, with sureties Geo. Stevenson. David Moore.
- Page 699.--1st February, 1749-50. Benj. Borden to Thomas Paxton, joyner; corner Wm. McClung in John Stevenson's old line; corner George Stevenson, John Paul's corner; corner Andrew Stevenson, William McLung's line. 410 acres. Delivered: Wm. McClung for Thos. Paxton, June, 1752.
- Page 336.--28th November, 1750. Samuel Dunlap to David Dunlap, 170 acres, part of 559-1/2 acres, conveyed by Benj. Borden in Orange, 27th August, 1742; Richard Cousart's line; corner Wm. Loughridge. Teste: Wm. McCaules, Wm. McClung, David Moore, Jno. Lowrey.
- Page 183.--2d January, 1756. John Gatton (signed Patton and order says Patton). John Patton's will--To wife, Agness; five children, viz, William, James, Margaret, Isabell, Agness (infants); elder children are already portioned off. Executors, wife Agness. Alex. Miller, John Wardlaw. Teste: Wm. McClung, Jno. Stevenson, Mathew Lyle. Proved, 16th March, 1757. by the witnesses. Alex. Miller refuses to execute. Agness qualifies with Mathew Lyle and Alex. Miller.
- Page 529.--10th March, 1764. Same [From Borden's executors] to Alexander Moore, £10, 120 acres, part of 92100; corner William McClung's new survey; Widow Cowden's corner. Delivered: Samuel Hight, 28th September, 1796, by order M. Coalter.
- Page 192.--16th June, 1757. John Patton's appraisement, by John Lyle. John Stevenson, Wm. McClung.
- Page 286.--16th November, 1774. Recorded. John Makey's appraisement by Archibald Alexander, Wm. Alexander, John Lyle, Jr., William McClung.
- MC CLUNG, WILLIAM
- Rockbridge Co., Va. Will filed May 4, 1784.
- s. James McClung
- s. John McClung
- s. in l. Samuel Lyle
- g.s. Thomas McClung
From World Family Tree Cd#16, Tree #1003:
!BIRTH: b Ireland (R.D. Campbell, CAM 100);
!MARRIAGE: Spouse is unknown;
!DEATH: d 1784 (R.D. Campbell, PAX 001, p 3);
!MISC: Quote from R.D. Campbell's "History of the Campbell Family (CAM 100):
"William McClung and his children arrived in Lancaster County, PA around
1745-46. The family seemed to immediately scatter to Delaware and Virginia.
At least one son stayed in Upper Leacock Township, in Lancaster County (PA).
William's oldest daughter was Elizabeth McClung.";