Person:William McClanahan (7)

Watchers
Find records: birth marriage
William McClanahan
d.19 Nov 1819
m. Abt. 1730
  1. Elijah McClanahanabt 1730 - bef 1796
  2. James McClanahan1733-1758 - 1761
  3. John McClanahan1733-1758 -
  4. David McClanahan1733-1758 -
  5. Robert McClanahan1733-1758 -
  6. William McClanahan1738 - 1819
  7. Jane 'Jenny' McClanahanABT 1743 -
  8. Hannah McClanahanBEF 1749 -
  9. Mary Polly McClanahan1748 -
  10. Nancy McClanahan1758 -
  • HWilliam McClanahan1738 - 1819
  • WSarah NeelyBef 1751 -
m. 07 Mar 1769
  1. Col. Elijah McClanahan1770 -
  2. Nancy McClanahan1772 - 1820
  3. Jane McClanahan1774 -
  4. James McClanahan1777 -
  5. John McClanahan1780 - BEF 1819
  6. Washington McClanahan1782 - 1816
  7. Green McClanahan1782 - 1820
  8. Sarah McClanahan1788 -
Facts and Events
Name William McClanahan
Gender Male
Birth? 25 Dec 1738 of Augusta County, Virginia
Alt Birth? 25 DEC 1740
Marriage 07 Mar 1769 on the creek east of Salem, Virginiato Sarah Neely
Death? 19 Nov 1819

William McClanahan was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia

Contents

Welcome to
Old Augusta

Early Settlers
Beverley Manor
Borden's Grant
Register
Data
Maps
Places
Library
History
Index

……………………..The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky

__________________________

Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA

Early Land Survey in Augusta County:


  • Page 48 - William McClanahan, 50 acres, Jackson River. April 19, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 19].


Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:


  • Page 71.--11th September, 1769. James Neelly and Jane to William McClenachan, 400 acres on Roanoke; Griffith's line; Evans' line. Teste: John Neelly, Peter ( ) Ginder, John Reaburn. (Note: James Neely was the father-in-law of William McClanahan).


Disposition of Land in Botetourt County, VA records:


  • Page 60. February 14, 1770. William McClanahan and Sarah his wife to Hugh Bareley. 500 pounds. 2 certain tracts of land on Cedar Creek, on the forks of the James River. 104 acres and 100 acres. Witnesses: Alexander McClanahan, James Cloyd, James McGavock.

Will of William McClanahan

  • Page 159--Will of William McClenachan, of Botetourt. Wife, Sarah; grandsons, Wm. and Charles McClenachan, sons of deceased son John; granddaughters (John's daughters), Mary, Sarah, Jane and Lucy; John's widow, Lucy McClenachan, and her sons Wm. and Charles; sons Elijah, James, Green, deceased son Washington; son Green's wife, Elizabeth, and sons Washington and John; grandsons, Wm. McClenachan, Wm. Cook, Wm. Lewis, Jr., Wm. Markle; grandsons, Wm. McClenachan, son of son John; son, James. Dated 25th September, 1819. Recorded 9th November, 1819. Bill, July, 1831.

Information on William McClanahan

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=mabry&id=I2679


2. William McClanahan was born 25 DEC 1738 in Augusta County, Virginia, and died 19 NOV 1819. He was buried in or born 25 Dec 1733. He was the son of 4. Elijah McClanahan and 5. Ann Ewing.


3. Sarah Neely. She was the daughter of 6. James Neely.

Children of Sarah Neely and William McClanahan are:
i. Elijah McClanahan was born 1770. He married Agatha S. Lewis, daughter of Andrew Lewi
ii. Nancy McClanahan.
iii. Jane McClanahan.
iv. James McClanahan.
v. John McClanahan.
vi. Green McClanahan.
vii. Washington McClanahan.
viii. Mary McClanahan.
1. ix. Sarah McClanahan.

Advisory: Some sources have stated that this William McClanahan's father was Robert McClanahan, but since this William McClanahan (that married Sarah Neely) named his eldest son Elijah (perhaps following traditional naming patterns after his father), and did NOT have a son named Robert, it seems more likely that he was the son of Elijah McClanahan and not Robert.


http://www.archive.org/stream/mcclanahans00whitgoog/mcclanahans00whitgoog_djvu.txt

William McClanahan, Sr., seems to have been prospered in business. He gave a farm to each of his children, as we have seen. It seems that these farms were in the woods for the most part and that they built their own dwelling houses. Four of these houses still stand (1894), *• e -> Green's, on Glade Creek ; John's, on the Franklin pike ; Elijah's, about three miles north of Roan- oke city ; James' , one mile southwest of Roanoke city.

Mr. Wm, McClanahan, Sr., died about 1820, from amputation of the leg, rendered necessary by disease which began in the foot. His wife, the mother of all his children, survived him, and died about 1824. In person she was slender, and in old age suffered from palsy in the head. They both died in the old homestead and were buried in the old burying ground near by. This vener- able cemetery was the only one within a radius of sixteen miles, as Mrs. il Betsy McClanahan " per- sonally testified to Mrs. Colonel Thomas Lewis, and according to her memory, " the whole hill was covered*Jgraves. ' } Mrs. "Betsy McClanahan" personally testified to Mrs. Blanche White also, that a pine tree had grown up between the head and foot stones of the grave of her father-in law, Colonel Wm. McClanahan. Mrs. White remem- bers this tree. It wafc blown down, and a snag of its stump (root) may now (1894) be seen between these stones.

After the death of Mrs. Wm. McClanahan, Sr., the homestead was inherited by her grandson, Charles McClanahan, who sold it to William, son of James McClanahan, who sold it to Colonel J. R. Richardson, who sold it to Thomas Tosh, who sold it to Elijah McClanahan, son of Green and grandson of William, the senior. He afterwards (i860) bought the Big Spring mill on the place and removed a deed of trust that had long been on it. His widow, Emma S. McClanahan, bought it at the sale, and sold it to a land company in 1889.



http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=mabry&id=I2679


2. William McClanahan was born 25 DEC 1738 in Augusta County, Virginia, and died 19 NOV 1819. He was buried in or born 25 Dec 1733. He was the son of 4. Elijah McClanahan and 5. Ann Ewing.


3. Sarah Neely. She was the daughter of 6. James Neely.

Children of Sarah Neely and William McClanahan are:    i. Elijah McClanahan was born 1770. He married Agatha S. Lewis, daughter of Andrew Lewi
   ii. Nancy McClanahan. 
   iii. Jane McClanahan. 
   iv. James McClanahan. 
   v. John McClanahan. 
   vi. Green McClanahan. 
   vii. Washington McClanahan. 
   viii. Mary McClanahan. 

1. ix. Sarah McClanahan.


http://www.archive.org/stream/mcclanahans00whitgoog/mcclanahans00whitgoog_djvu.txt

IV. — William McClanahan.

He was the fourth son of Robert, the founder. He was born December 25, 1740, and died in 1 8 19. He moved from Augusta Couuty to Bot- etourt before the battle of Point Pleasant, and settled on or near what is now the McAdamized road, three or four miles east of the present site of Salem, in Roanoke County. The farm was afterwards owned by one Cavell. All the land around there, called afterwards "The Barrens,'* was covered with scrub oak and scrub pine, over which a deer could leap, as Colonel James McClan- ahan, son of William, said in 1865, to a social company, of whom I was one.

The Indians were sometimes seen lurking about. This fact greatly alarmed the family on one occa- sion when the lad, Elijah McClanahan, was belated after nightfall while returning, with a bag ot corn meal, from the mill. Their joy was equally great when a diligent search in the night, in which all the neighbors joineVi,' was rewarded by his being found.

William McClanahan was married to Sarah Neely, March 7, 1769, at the home of her parents, on the creek east of Salem, between that town and the present city of Roanoke. This place was owned, until within a few years past, by Mr. Jerry Pitzer. Her family afterwards moved to Tennessee.

Mr. McClanahan removed to the south bank of Roanoke River, about 1780, beside " the Big Spring, ' ' as it was called for nearly a century and a half. It is now known as the Crystal Spring, at the foot of Mill Mountain, on its southwestern side, 'and supplies the city of Roanoke with water. Here he built a house of hewn logs, with two large rooms on the ground floor, and a passage between, one and one-half stories high. After a while two rooms were added. The two chimnies, built of stone, at the ends of the house, were large and contained large fire-places. The house stood northwest and southeast ; in front of the right or chamber window of the present house (1894), and distant from it about sixty feet. The northwest end was a few feet to the right of the present walk, which extends from the front door of the house now occupied by Wm. S. McClanahan to the yard gate. It had a porch in front, facing Tinker Mountain. Port-holes were cut in the log walls, through which to fire upon attacking savages. The stairway was within the house. In later years the log walls were weather-boarded. So it stood until 1855, when it was removed by E. G. McClanahan.