Facts and Events
||to Jane Cooper
William McCampbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
William McCampbell's land (Borden Tract SW, 309 acres, 1770) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: Andrew McCampbell's tract (brother of William) is located nearby to the west of this land).
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA ==
- William McCampbell patented 309 acres of land in the Borden Tract in 1770, as shown on the J.R. Hildebrand Map, above. The deed for this acquisition is apparently not included in Chalkley's transcriptions, which do not include all of the Augusta County deeds that were recorded.
Records of William McCampbell in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 259.--9th October. 1765. Charles Hays and Barbara to Andrew Hays, Jr., £10, 90 acres in Borden's tract; corner John Miss Campbell's on James Anderson's line; walnut on the bank of Back Creek. Teste: Andrew Hays. Sr., John Hays, Wm. McCampbell.
- Page 247.--15th October, 1765. Henry ( ) Miller and Elenor ( ) to Andrew Hays. Gent., £55, 231 acres in Borden's tract, John Walker's line by edge of Moffett's Creek, Oak on Back Creek, the forks of Walker's Creek. Teste: Andrew and Wm. McCampbell, Andrew Hayes.
- Page 261.--17th May, 1767. Robert ( ) Allison to Andrew McCampbell, £80, horses and house furnishings and clothes. Teste: Wm McKemey, Wm. McCampbell.
- Page 332.--1st January, 1770. Borden's executors to John Wiley, £30, 236 acres, part of 92,100; corner Robert McElhenny on Carr's Creek; corner William McCampbell. Teste: Lew Bowyer. Delivered: John Wiley, 18th October, 1785.
- Vol. 2 - Page 133--Wm. McCampbell deposes, June, 1811, in 1756 he was on the land then occupied by And. Fitzpatrick. Wm. came to Borden's Grant in 1753. Andrew and Saml. Davis were brothers-in-law. Wm. is in 72d year. (Note: this record establishes William McCampbell's birth as in 1739).
- Vol. 2 - Dunn vs. Pandall and West--O. S. 249; N. S. 87--In 1794, Levi Dunn (orator) bought 150 acres in Rockbridge from James Dougherty by deed recorded there, part of Borden's 92,100. James bought from Dominick McKann in 1778, who had a deed from Borden's executors in 1763. Andrew Fitzpatrick resided on the land in 1745, as shown by depositions of John McClung and William McCampbell, two of the oldest and most respectable of early inhabitants of Borden's grant. Andrew sold to Dominick McMourn. On 7th February, 1806, orator sold to Gabriel Pendal (Pandel). Deed, 8th September, 1780, by Dominick Moran and Elizabeth of Rockbridge, to James Dougherty, 150 acres. Recorded in Rockbridge, 3d April, 1781. (This name is endorsed McMourn. In the deed from Borden it is "Moren.")
- Vol. 2 - Jno. Wiley vs. McCampbell--O. S. 79; N. S. 27--Bill, 1804. John Wiley bought land on Carr's Creek from Borden and got deed in 1770, which he divided between his sons John and Andrew. The description calls for the lines of William McCampbell. Edward Gaylor deposes that in 1753 he lived with Frank McCown on the land in dispute.
- Vol. 2 - William McCampbell vs. Bordens, Exrs.--O. S. 256; N. S. 90--Bill filed 6th November, 1811, to quiet title--Rockbridge--Copy deed 3rd June, 1788. David Tedford & Mary of Rockbridge to Wm. McCampbell. Deed 14th September, 1784. Saml. McDowell, Att'y for George McCown, of Lincoln Co., to Wm. McCampbell of Rockbridge.