m. Bef. 1702
- William McBridebef 1702 - Bef 1754
- Thomas McBrideEst 1703-1712 - 1754
Facts and Events
William McBride was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Survey for William McBride
- November 7th 1749 Then Survey d for William McBride a certain Tract of Waste and ungranted Land Scituate in Augusta County and on the Lost River of Cacapehon and Bounded as followeth Beginning at three pines Francis McBrides Corner and runs thence with his Lines S° 62° East Three hundred poles to three white Oaks another of his Corners thence N° 28° East Two hundred and Six Pole to three white Oakes thence N° 62° West Three hundred poles to two pines & a red Oak On a steep Hill from thence to the Begining E. [Source: "Journal of my Journey over the Mountains", by George Washington, while surveying for Lord Thomas Fairfax, Baron of Cameron in the Northern Neck of Virginia, pg. 82].
Will of William McBride
- Page 26.--14th December, 1750. William McBride's will, laborer--Wife. Sarah; son, Francis. Executors, son Francis and Joseph How. Grandchildren, Margaret and Sarah McBride, 1 plantation between Francis McBride and the Bigg Cow Run on Capecappen in Augusta County. Teste: William Warden, Mary McBride, Ann Dunharr. Proved, 21st March, 1754, by Mary and Ann. Joseph How refuses to execute and Francis McBride qualifies, with sureties Jacob Gum and James Thomas. Francis' mark.
- Page 270.--18th August, 1758. Wm. McBride's appraisement, by John Dunbar, Robert Denton, James Thomas.
Records of William McBride in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- MAY 24, 1750. - (373) Joseph How directed to set up sign posts and keep it up with these: John Elswick, Andrew Viney, John Dunbarr, William McBride, Francis McBride, Robert Denton, James Thomas, James Scot, James Hamilton, William Miller and Valentine Sevier.
Information on William McBride
From "The History of Hardy Co, 1786-1986", by Richard McMaster:
"The Augusta County Justices ordered a road from the county line to John States' mill. Joseph How was directed to set up sign posts and maintain the road with the help of John Elswick, Andrew Viney, John Dunbar, William McBride, Francis McBride, Robert Denton, James Thomas, James Scott, James Hamilton,William Miller, and Valentine Sevier. John States' mill was the same as Wallin's Mill, wince William Walling sold his land and grist mill to John States in 1748."
"William McBride was a laborer, although he and his son (Francis) had adjoining tracts of 386 acres. It is possible that he was living with his son by the time he died in 1758 (bef. 1754) and had distributed everything he owned within the family. It is also possible that the appraisers saw no reason to include the furnishings of a pioneer cabin, as having too little market falue. It is also possible that McBride had lost all he owned in the Indian raids that swept the Lost River Valley. Since we know how few people lived along Lost River in the 1750s, it is obvious that McBride's death involved all his neighbors in some way."
"On November (1752) he (George Washington) surveyed two 386 acre tracts for Francis and William McBride."