William Matthews, Saddler of Beverley Manor
Facts and Events
William Matthews was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 270.--19th May, 1761. Same (From John Kerr and Lucy) to Willam Mathers, £10, 112 acres, part of a survey of 275 acres surveyed for John Kerr in Beverley Manor on a branch of Middle River; Manor line. Teste: William and Jes. Kerr, John Hind. Delivered: Henry King per order of Wm. Mathers, 29th December, 1774.
- Page 190.--16th November, 1768. Archer Mathews to William Mathews, £100, his part of 299 acres willed to William and Archer by John Mathews, Sr., deceased, in Forks of James, on Mill Creek, corner Richard Mathews, William McBride's line; corner John Murry; corner tract belonging to John Mathews, Jr.'s heirs. Delivered: William Mathews, 18th March, 1771.
- Matthews, William. Will probate Nov. 1772.
- Names: wife Frances and children: Ann, Elizabeth, John, Joseph and James.
- Brothers Samson and George Matthews.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 59].
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
- Page 280.--1760: Processioned by Joshua Mathews and John Armstrong, in Capt. John Maxwell's Company: For Michael Finney, for John Berryford, for Pat Porter, for Wm. Haldman, for John Harger, for Arthur McClure, for John Armstrong, for Paul Whitley, for Jonathan Whitley, for James Todd, for James Davis, for John Poage, for James McGavock, for John Maxwell, for Michael Dougherty, for John Mitchell, for James Gilmore, for James Bates, for John McCallum, for Richard Woods, for Edward Sharp, for Audley Paul, for Wm. Mathews, for Richard Mathews, for John Mathews.
Records of William Matthews in Augusta County, VA
- Marriage License in Augusta County, VA - 1763 - November 28, William Mathews.
- MAY, 1767 (B). - We, John (mark) Roberts and Robert (mark) Brown promise to pay to William Mathews, sadler, etc., 23d September, 1765. Test, Fanney Mathews.
- AUGUST 22, 1767. - (257) Wm. Mathews, Wm. Anderson and George Moffett, to value improvements of John Archer on 260 acres and 83 acres.
- Page 331.--18th May, 1768. John Kerr and Lucy ( ) and William Kerr and Martha ( ) to James Laird, £50, 124 acres on Middle River of Shanando, 100 of which is part of 400 joining Beverley Manor and patented to said John 30th July, 1742, the other 24 acres patented to said William 2d June, 1760, joining the former tract; corner John Allison. Teste: Edward Rutledge, Alexander Walker, Wm. ( ) Mathers. Delivered: James Laird, February, 1770.
- OCTOBER 19, 1769 - (32) George and William Mathews and John Maury appointed guardians of John, Moses, William, Ann and Elizabeth, orphans of John Bowen.