Facts and Events
William Mann was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA:
- Pg. 38 - Land Survey, William Man, 49 acres, Jackson River. March 3, 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 15].
- Mann, William - Jackson's River below Back Creek - 49 acres - 1765. ["A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia", By Oren F. Morton].
- Pg. 283 - Land Survey, William Man, 485 acres, Greenbrier River. May 9, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 96].
- Pg. 283 - Land Survey, William Man, 110 acres, Greenbrier River. 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 96].
- William Mann bought of Jacob Persinger and Catherine his wife, 1772, for twenty-four pounds, 115 acres on Indian Draft of James River.
Disposition of Land:
- James Elliott bought of William Mann and Jean his wife, 1773, for fifty-five pounds, forty-nine acres on Jackson's River below the mouth of Back Creek.
- Mann, William. Will probate November 1778.
- Names wife Jeane and children: Moses, Thomas, William, John, Catie, Jenny, Sarah and one unborn.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 59].
- I, William Mann, of the county of Botetourt and colony of Virginia, considering the uncertainty of mortal life, and being of sound mind and perfect memory, thanks to Almighty God for same, do make and publish my last will and testament in the form and manner following: that is to say, I give and bequeath my soul to Almighty God and my body to receive a decent Christian burial at the discretion of my Executors, hereafter named; nothing doubting but I shall receive the same agan at the General Resurrection. Imprimus:
- I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Jane, one black mare and colt and saddle, two sows and all the household furniture and wearing apparel, and her living upon the land I now live on, during her life.
- I give and bequeath to my oldest son Moses, one tract of land containing 235 acres being formerly possessed by James Boggs, with a survey over the mill, on the new road of 160 acres and one mare and a yearling, a two year old colt and one black mare known by the name of the Morris Mare.
- I give and bequeath to my second son, Thomas, one plantation nigh to Second Creek Gap, purchased of Isaac Burns, and another tract of land lying at Wolf’s Creek Knobs, if obtained, now in dispute with James Ewing; if not obtained then he is to have two other tracts of land, the one lying on Sinking Creek where it sinks and the other on the Sinks, purchased of Christopher Bryan, and one valuable breeding mare when ten years old.
- I give and bequeath to my third son William, the lower half of the plantation I am now living on, except 15 acres (the upper parties to have most) and one small survey adjoining the lower end, and an entry along the side to go with the lower end.
- I give and bequeath to my fourth son the upper part of the plantation I now live on.
- I give and bequeath to my oldest daughter, Ealsie (Alice), one little wench, Venus, and fifty pounds cash. If said wench should die before she is of age; then to be given the valuable breeding mare.
- I give and bequeath to my second daughter, Jinny, one mare and colt known to be called hers and seventy pounds in cash.
- I give and bequeath to my third daughter, Sarah, one hundred pounds in cash.
- If my wife Jane is with child, as supposed to be, if a boy to receive one hundred and fifty pounds in cash; if a girl seventy pounds in cash over and above. I give to my daughter, Ealsie, one bay filly with a star and white feet, and the price of a saddle. As to all the rest of my personal estate, goods and chattels of what kind so ever, I leave to my executors to be equally divided among my sons.
- If it should please God that any of my sons should die, their part or parts to be equally divided among the rest of the brothers; and likewise, with my daughters if they should die.
- A certain tract of land lying in Indian Draft containing 115 acres, before omitted, to be equally divided between my two sons, William and John, and each to pay the estate thirty pounds after they become of age.
- All of which legacies I have given to my sons and do bind them, their heirs and assigns forever.
- I appoint my trusty well-beloved wife, Jane, executor with Thomas Mattison, James Graham, and Robert Armstrong, whom I appoint whole and sole executors of this my last will and testament, revoking all former wills by me made.
- In witness whreeof set my hand seal this third day of Feb. one thousand seven hundred and seventy eight”.
- (Signed) William Mann (Seal)
- Witnesses: Richard Morris, John Stevenson, John Scott Bondsmen: John Sevenson, John Ballor (Bollar), James McCallister
- This will was admitted to record at the November term of the County Court of Botetourt in the year of 1778, Fincastle, Virginia.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - McClintic vs. Mann--O. S. 270; N. S. 95--Bill, 26th July, 1807, by Robert McClintic and Jane, his wife; W. H. Cavendish and wife, Alice; Alexander McClintic and wife, Sarah; which Jane, Alice and Sarah are daughters of William Mann, Sr., deceased, and sisters of William Mann, Jr., deceased. William, Sr., died, testate, will dated 3d February, 1778, and recorded in Botetourt. William Mann, Jr., died 1794 under age. Moses and John Mann are sons of William, Sr. Deed, 10th December, 1799, by Moses Mann and Sarah; John Mann and Archibald Mann, devisees of William Mann, deceased, of Bath County to Alexander McClintic, 163 acres, patented to William Mann 15th September, 1789, in Bath on Jackson's River. Recorded in Bath County, December, 1799. William Mann, Sr., had a son Thomas, who had a son William Thomas Mann. Will of William Mann of Botetourt. Wife, Jane; oldest son, Moses, infant; second son, Thomas, infant; third son, William, infant; fourth son, John, infant; eldest daughter, Ealse; second daughter, Jenny; third daughter, Sarah. Thos. Madison, James Graham, Ro. Armstrong, Jr., executors. Dated 3d February, 1778. Recorded in Botetourt, November, 1778. Jane Mann deposes, at house of Robert Kincaid in Bath, 28th April, 1808. William Mann died 20th March, 1778. Jane is the widow. Their son William died an infant. William, Sr., also had a son Archibald. Wm. H. Cavindish married the widow McClintick Jane's daughter. John Kincaid deposes, at John Mann's house on Jackson's River in Bath County, 6th June, 1818, remembers that he came to this section 12 or 18 months before battle of Guilford, at which time Mrs. Mann, mother of defendant Moses, was in possession of the land.
Information on William Mann
Husband: William Mann
Born: 1731 at: Ireland possibly County Tippera
Married: ABT. 1755 at: probably Bath Co VA 2
Died: 20 MAR 1778 at: Botetourt Co., VA 2
Wife: Jane Hamilton
Born: BEF. 1737 at: possibly Co Tyrone Ireland
Died: 1813 at: Bath Co., VA 1
Other Spouses: William Marcy
Name: Moses Mann
Born: 17 JAN 1761 at: Bath Co., VA
Married: 4 MAR 1779 at: Bath Co., VA
Died: AFT. 10 OCT 1820 at: Alleghany Co., VA 3
Spouses: Jane Kincaid Sarah Lewis
Name: Alice Mann
Born: 5 DEC 1762 at: Falling Springs, Bath Co., VA 4
Married: 2 MAR 1782 at: Bath Co., VA
Died: 11 FEB 1858 at: Bath Co., VA 4
Spouses: William Alexander McClintic, II William Hunter Cavendish
Name: Jane Mann
Born: 7 SEP 1764 at: Falling Springs, Bath Co., VA
Married: ABT. 1782 at: Bath Co., VA
Died: 14 FEB 1855 at: Greenbrier Co., (W)VA 5
Spouses: Robert McClintic
Name: Sarah Mann
Born: 16 JAN 1769 at: Falling Springs, Botetourt Co., VA 1
Married: 6 FEB 1788 at: Falling Springs, Botetourt Co., VA 6
Died: 1 OCT 1840 at: Warm Springs, Jackson River, Bath Co., VA 1
Spouses: Alexander McClintic
Name: Thomas Mann
Born: 8 MAR 1771 at:
Married: BEF. 1794 at: Virginia
Died: 1794 at: Kanawha Co., WV
Spouses: Elizabeth Armstrong
Name: William Mann, Jr.
Born: 4 OCT 1773 at:
Died: 1794 at: Stretcher's Neck, Fayette Co., WV
Name: John Mann
Born: 2 DEC 1775 at:
Died: at: Falling Spring Run, Alleghany Co., VA
Spouses: Jennie Johnson
Name: Archibald Mann
Born: 29 AUG 1778 at: Bath Co VA 1
Died: APR 1803 at: Bath Co VA 1
Spouses: ? Armstrong
1) Steve McClintic Info
2) WV News Greenbriers 160th Anniversary Edition
3) Descendants of McClintic
4) Norman C. Dorman
5) Helen Stinson-Letter
6) Augusta Marriage Records 1770-1853