Facts and Events
William Mann was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA:
- Pg. 38 - Land Survey, William Man, 49 acres, Jackson River. March 3, 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 15].
- Pg. 283 - Land Survey, William Man, 485 acres, Greenbrier River. May 9, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 96].
- Pg. 283 - Land Survey, William Man, 110 acres, Greenbrier River. 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 96].
- Mann, William. Will probate November 1778.
- Names wife Jeane and children: Moses, Thomas, William, John, Catie, Jenny, Sarah and one unborn.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 59].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - McClintic vs. Mann--O. S. 270; N. S. 95--Bill, 26th July, 1807, by Robert McClintic and Jane, his wife; W. H. Cavendish and wife, Alice; Alexander McClintic and wife, Sarah; which Jane, Alice and Sarah are daughters of William Mann, Sr., deceased, and sisters of William Mann, Jr., deceased. William, Sr., died, testate, will dated 3d February, 1778, and recorded in Botetourt. William Mann, Jr., died 1794 under age. Moses and John Mann are sons of William, Sr. Deed, 10th December, 1799, by Moses Mann and Sarah; John Mann and Archibald Mann, devisees of William Mann, deceased, of Bath County to Alexander McClintic, 163 acres, patented to William Mann 15th September, 1789, in Bath on Jackson's River. Recorded in Bath County, December, 1799. William Mann, Sr., had a son Thomas, who had a son William Thomas Mann. Will of William Mann of Botetourt. Wife, Jane; oldest son, Moses, infant; second son, Thomas, infant; third son, William, infant; fourth son, John, infant; eldest daughter, Ealse; second daughter, Jenny; third daughter, Sarah. Thos. Madison, James Graham, Ro. Armstrong, Jr., executors. Dated 3d February, 1778. Recorded in Botetourt, November, 1778. Jane Mann deposes, at house of Robert Kincaid in Bath, 28th April, 1808. William Mann died 20th March, 1778. Jane is the widow. Their son William died an infant. William, Sr., also had a son Archibald. Wm. H. Cavindish married the widow McClintick Jane's daughter. John Kincaid deposes, at John Mann's house on Jackson's River in Bath County, 6th June, 1818, remembers that he came to this section 12 or 18 months before battle of Guilford, at which time Mrs. Mann, mother of defendant Moses, was in possession of the land.
Information on William Mann
Husband: William Mann
Born: 1731 at: Ireland possibly County Tippera
Married: ABT. 1755 at: probably Bath Co VA 2
Died: 20 MAR 1778 at: Botetourt Co., VA 2
Wife: Jane Hamilton
Born: BEF. 1737 at: possibly Co Tyrone Ireland
Died: 1813 at: Bath Co., VA 1
Other Spouses: William Marcy
Name: Moses Mann
Born: 17 JAN 1761 at: Bath Co., VA
Married: 4 MAR 1779 at: Bath Co., VA
Died: AFT. 10 OCT 1820 at: Alleghany Co., VA 3
Spouses: Jane Kincaid Sarah Lewis
Name: Alice Mann
Born: 5 DEC 1762 at: Falling Springs, Bath Co., VA 4
Married: 2 MAR 1782 at: Bath Co., VA
Died: 11 FEB 1858 at: Bath Co., VA 4
Spouses: William Alexander McClintic, II William Hunter Cavendish
Name: Jane Mann
Born: 7 SEP 1764 at: Falling Springs, Bath Co., VA
Married: ABT. 1782 at: Bath Co., VA
Died: 14 FEB 1855 at: Greenbrier Co., (W)VA 5
Spouses: Robert McClintic
Name: Sarah Mann
Born: 16 JAN 1769 at: Falling Springs, Botetourt Co., VA 1
Married: 6 FEB 1788 at: Falling Springs, Botetourt Co., VA 6
Died: 1 OCT 1840 at: Warm Springs, Jackson River, Bath Co., VA 1
Spouses: Alexander McClintic
Name: Thomas Mann
Born: 8 MAR 1771 at:
Married: BEF. 1794 at: Virginia
Died: 1794 at: Kanawha Co., WV
Spouses: Elizabeth Armstrong
Name: William Mann, Jr.
Born: 4 OCT 1773 at:
Died: 1794 at: Stretcher's Neck, Fayette Co., WV
Name: John Mann
Born: 2 DEC 1775 at:
Died: at: Falling Spring Run, Alleghany Co., VA
Spouses: Jennie Johnson
Name: Archibald Mann
Born: 29 AUG 1778 at: Bath Co VA 1
Died: APR 1803 at: Bath Co VA 1
Spouses: ? Armstrong
1) Steve McClintic Info
2) WV News Greenbriers 160th Anniversary Edition
3) Descendants of McClintic
4) Norman C. Dorman
5) Helen Stinson-Letter
6) Augusta Marriage Records 1770-1853