William Lockridge, of the Borden Tract, Augusta County, Virginia
Facts and Events
||William Lockridge, of the Borden Tract, Augusta County, Virginia
William Lockridge was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
William Lockridge's land (Borden Tract NE, adjoining tracts (265 acres acquired in 1742 (apparently mis-labeled as 250 acres) & 250 acres acquired in 1755) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land in Orange County, VA Records:
- Pages 114-118. 25-26 June 1742. Benjamin Borden of Orange County to William Lockridge of same. Lease and release; for £7.19.4 current money. 265 acres 1 rood 31 pole, part of 92,100 acres by pattin (Patton) 6 Nov. 1739... corner to Samll. Dunlap's land... George Henderson's line... corner to John Moore's land... line of William McCurlass' land... Benja. Borden. Wit: John Moore, Robt. Dunlap, James Eakins. 26 Aug. 1742. Acknowledged by Benjamin Borden, Gent. [Orange County Deed Book 8, pg. 72]. (Note: this tract is apparently mis-labeled as "250 acres" on the Hildebrand Map, shown above).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 65.—8th May, 1755. Borden's executors to William Loughridge (Lockridge). £4.2.4, 250 acres, part of 92,100 on Halfway Creek; corner Thomas Hill; said Wm. Loughridge's corner; Moore's corner; David Moore's corner, east side of the Great Road in the patent line; corner Robt Weir.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 284.--16th March, 1756. William Loughridge to Thos. Hill, 5 sh. 1/2 d., 6 acres in Borden's 92100, opposite said Hill's old survey, on Halfway Creek, Robert Weir's line. Teste: Robert Wiear, Wm. Buchanan, Nathaniel Steel. Livery.
- Page 116.--11th December, 1762. William Lockridge and Agness ( ) to David Steel, £100, 244 acres on Halfway Creek in Borden's tract; cor. Thomas Hill; Moore's cor.; David Moore's cor. Teste: Samuel and Robert Steel, Patt. Campbell. Delivered: Samuel Steel, June, 1766.
- Page 485.--23d October, 1765. William Lockridge and Agness ( ) to Jno. Wier, £131, 266 acres in Borden's tract; corner Beard, Wm. Moore's line; corner Alexander's land, McCanlees line. Teste: Benj. ( ) Blackburn, Samuel ( ) Wier, Robert Alexander, Thos. Bowyer, William Crow, David Stewart. Delivered: Robert Steel, 15th March, 1813, by order of John Wier.
Records of William Lockridge in Augusta County, VA
Note: some of the last records listed could be William Lockridge's nephew, William Lockridge:
- Page 39.--24th April, 1748-9. John Huston's will--Wife (to act with advice of John Moore); sons, Samuel and Mathew (infant); rest of children; Mary Blair to have a share with the rest (of the children). Executors, wife and John Moore. Teste: James Eakin, Joseph Kennedy, Walter Eakin. Proved, 15th May, 1755, by the witnesses; wife Margaret and John Moore qualify, with sureties Mathew Lyle and Wm. Lockridge.
- Page 518.--20th June, 1751. John Patterson's vendue by Agnes Patterson. To George Henderson, John McCroskry, Robt. Stewart, Wm. Henry, James Anderson, Wm. Laughridge, John Moore, Jacob Anderson.
- Page 110.--17th February, 1762. Margaret Gay and Andw. Lockridge's bond (with Wm. and Robt. Lockridge), as administrators of Robert Gay.
The following two records listed consecutively:
- Page 381.--7th January, 1765. James Eakin's will--To wife Agness; to daughter Mary; to son John, 30 acres that John's uncle Walter formerly lived on; to daughter Margaret; to son James; to young sons Andrew and Samuel; testator's brother, Walter Eakin, and Jno. Wardlaw. Teste: Jno. Wardlaw, Jno. Montgomery, Jno. Eakin. Executors, Agnes Eakin, Mathew Huston. (Note: James Eakin's son John married Elizabeth Lockridge, daughter of William Lockridge, nephew of this William Lockridge. The Eakin family obviously had a close relationship with the Lockridge family)
- Page 388.--19th March, 1765. Executors above qualify, and will proved by the witnesses. Sureties, Wm. Lockridge, James Henry.
- Page 241.--30th April, 1774. Robert Graham's estate appraised by Robert Bratton, William Lockridge, James Bratton--To money due by Wm. Anderson, overseer for Thos. Adams.
- Page 118.--16th March, 1780. Lanty Graham's estate appraised by Andrew Hamilton, Wm. Lockridge, Wm. Meteer.