William Jordan, Sr., of the Cowpasture
Facts and Events
||William Jordan, Sr., of the Cowpasture
William Jordan, Sr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 28.--20th November, 1770. James Young and Mary ( ) to William Jordon, £10, 98 acres on head branch of Cowpasture, a branch of James River, patented to James, 14th July, 1769. Teste: Thomas Fimster, William Young, James Gambel. Delivered: Anthony Johnston, 15th April, 1777.
- Page 475.--Patent to William Jordan, Sr., 1st March, 1773, and by him conveyed to Anthony Johnston. Delivered to John Erwin by order of Wm. Jordan, 26th June, 1794.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 194.--6th September, 1777. William ( ) Jordane, Sr., to Anthony Johnston, 90 acres patented to James Young 14th July, 1769, on head of Cowpasture, 90 acres adjoining, patented to William Jordan 1st March, 1773. Delivered: Mr. Readman by your order, 26th June, 1792. Teste: John ( ) Jordan.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 311.--17th May. 1759. Samuel Scott's estate settlement, by Robert Scott and Robert Hooks, executors. Paid Thos. Stevenson, Christopher Zimmerman, Robt. McFarson, David Nelson, Henry Downs, Saml. Wilkins, Wm. Craig, Wm. Snodon, Margaret Fowler, William Jordan, Jno. Vought, Patrick Cain, Doctor Harrison, Hugh Thompson, Jonathan Gibson, Jas. Beard; 1 coffin for Samuel Scott; 1 coffin for George Scott; keeping 3 negroes one year, nine months, bv R. Scott. Vendue to, viz: David Crighton, Jno. Paul Fought, David Logan, Jas. Underwood, James Berkley, widow McDonald, Patrick Quin. Joseph Kinkade, John Love, Bernard Man, Jacob Pence, John Wilkins, Ann Scott.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 18, 1766. - (337) These added to tithables--viz: Wm. Jordan, James Jordan, Anthony Johnston.
- Vol. 2 - 1767--Tithables added by the Court: William Jordan, James Jordan.
- Page 487.--Patented to David Bell, 16th May, 1771, and by him conveyed to William Jordan.
- Page 67.--14th September, 1772. Mark Swatley's estate appraised by Robert Davis. Christian Ruleman, &c. Henry Pickel's bond, George Evab's bond, Godlove Gabert's bond, Frederick Props' bond, William Jordan's accompt, Zeacriah Rexrode's bond.
- Page 334.--29th August, 1777. List of those indebted to the estate of Roger North-- Wm. Jordan, So. River. (listed among many others)
- Page 8.--18th March, 1778. Mark Swadley's estate in account with Mathew Patton and Sebastian Hover--Paid Leonard Simon, Richard Beven, John Jordan, Nicholas Seamans, Christopher Crommett, Margaret Dyche, Peter Smith, Cutlip Gabbart; received William Jordan's account; Lewis Bakers' do.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 18, 1780. - (226) William Jordan, Thomas Gifford and Charles Floyd exempted from levy.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1781. - (349) William Jordain exempted from levies.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 20, 1781. - (356) John and William Jordane exempted from levies.
- Page 355.--Archibald Gilkison's estate to Wm. Young and Hugh Brown, executors, Dr.; November, 1783, paid Enos Jones' account; November, 1783, paid Wm. Jourden account; 8th March, 1791, settled.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER 1, 1785. - (253) Called Court on Peter Flack, charged with horse stealing from William Jordan, Sr.--Guilty and sent to General Court.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1785--MARCH, 1786. - Commonwealth vs. Fleak.--Wm. Jordan, of Augusta, recognized to appear as witness, 22d September, 1785. Peter Fleak was charged with stealing William's horse.