William Johnston, of Beverley Manor
d.bef. March 1769
Facts and Events
William Johnston was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
William Johnston's land (Beverley Manor NE, 100 acres, 1742) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
William Johnston's land (Beverley Manor NE, 156 & 269 acres, 1749) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 120-24. [Page 118 (119) blank]. 23-24 March 1741 . William Beverley, Esq., of Essex County to William Johnston of Orange County. Lease and release; for ₤2 current money. 100 acres in Beverley Mannor... below George Anderson's corner on Cathee's River... cross the Brushey Neck... (signed) William Beverley. Wit: James Cathey, Robt. Ramsey, Charles Campbell. 25 March 1742. Acknowledged by William Beverley, Esq. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pf. 7].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 473.—23rd February, 1749. Same (From William Beverley) to William Johnston. Delivered: Zachariah Johnston, 1st June, 1773. 156 acres and 269 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner to William Wright. Corner John Thompson, Alexander Henderson's line. The Barrens. Platt. Teste: Alexander Wright, Samuel McCune.
- Page 432.—27th February, 1749. Same (From William Beverley) to William Johnstone, 100 acres in Beverley Manor on Cathey's River. George Anderson's corner. (Note: this seems to be a duplicate of the 100 acres previously patented to William Johnston in 1742, appears to be the same location).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 458.--1st November, 1754. William Johnston and Ann to Zachariah Smith, £5, 160 acres in Beverley Manor; Alexander Henderson s line; oaks in the Barrens.
- Page 336.—20th March, 1769. Zachariah Johnston and Ann to Thomas Calbreath, £5, 241 acres, part of 270 in Beverley Manor on Long Meadow of Middle River of Shanando, formerly belonging to William Johnston, who died intestate; descended to Zechariah as his eldest son and heir, joining Thompson's land. Delivered: Wm. Galbreath, 26th June, 1794.
Record of Importation to Orange County, Virginia
Early Settlers, who transported themselves to the colonies, over the age of 16, were given "headrights" (grants of 50 acres of land per "head"), if they appeared in the Court of Common Pleas in the county in which the land was granted. The following persons appeared in Orange County, Virginia court on in July 1740:
- Wm. Johnson, Ann, Elizabeth & John Johnston; Samuel Brawford (from Ireland)
Records of William Johnston in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 421.—23rd February, 1749. William Beverley to Samuel McCune. 176 acres in Beverley Manor. Said McCune's old plantation. David Edmiston's line. Teste: William Johnston, John Lin, James Frame.
- Page 372.--27th August, 1751. David Edmondson's appraisement, by Wm. Finley, Wm. Jonston, Samuel McCune.
- Page 158.--12th August, 1756. John Johnston's appraisement, by Andrew Russell, Wm. Johnson, John Hutchison, Jr. (Note: was John Johnston possibly a brother?)
- Vol. 2 - Page 209.--17th August, 1758: Orphan Alex. Martin bound to Wm. Johnston.
Information on William Johnston
From USGenWeb query:
CALBREATH, JOHNSTON posted by Glenn Smith on Monday, February 2, 1998
Need more information on William and Ann JOHNSTON, who were early members of the Tinkling Spring Church in Augusta County. They had two known children; Margaret JOHNSTON, b. abt. 1740, who married Thomas CALBREATH, and Zachariah JOHNSTON, b. abt. 1742, who married Ann Robertson. I would like to exchange documented information on these families. gsmith@@azalea.net
William JOHNSTON was born about 1712. He married Margaret SMITH.
Margaret SMITH was born about 1716. She married William JOHNSTON.
They had the following children:
- M i Zachariah JOHNSTON was born 1738.
- F ii Margaret JOHNSTON was born 26 Oct 1740 and died 17 Jan 178
- F iii Jane JOHNSTON was born 1, 2, 3, 4 21 Jan 1737/1738 in Christ Church Parish, Virginia. She died 22 Jan 1737/1738 in Christ Church Parish, Virginia.
Help fund new features!