William 'Brindle Bill' Hurst
Facts and Events
William Hurst was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 16-19. 6-7 July 1741. William Russell of Orange County to William Husk of Augusta County. Lease and release; for £20 current money. 400 acres on the south side of south river of Shanondoah... lower side of Gowry's run... pattent line to Richard Herrald's line... up the river...
- (signed) W. Russell.
- Wit: Richard (H) Harrald, Elizabeth (E) Harrald, Benjamin (X) Mathews.
- 23 July 1741. Acknowledged by Wm. Russell, Gent.
- [Source: Orange County, Virginia Deed Book 6, 1741-1743, Dorman, pg. 16].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 18, 1746/7. - (168) Road ordered from Caleb Jones's mill down to County line, James McKay, Moses McKay, Henry Harding, John Hill, Philip Crine, Thos. Land, Wm. Hursh, Thos. Burk, Wm. Harrel, Thos. Grubbs, Wm. Hawkins, Zachery McKay, Joshua Job, James McNeal, Adam Cunningham, Jacob Sterrell, Charles Coxe, Charles Burk, Ephrm. Leech, Caleb Job.
- Page 271.--18th August, 1749. Richard Harald, Sr., planter, to son, Richard Harrald, Jr., planter of Culpepper, Cave Branch, joining John Harrald, Capt. Russell's line. Teste: Leonard Burton, Judith Hurst. (Note: Judith was William's wife).
- Page 101.--31st January, 1750. Richard Harrald, Sr., planter, to Richard Harrald, Jr., planter, 51 acres on So. River, Shannando; corner to Moses Harrald. Teste: James McKeey, Jacob Harrel, Wm. Hurst.
- Page 247.--24th May, 1751. Reuben Paget and Elizabeth to Jacob Harril, 100 acres, on a branch of Flint Run; patented by Fairfax, 19th Septembre, 1749; corner John Calfee. Teste: John Sellers, Wm. Hurst, James McKay.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 28, 1751. - (571) Road ordered from Caleb Job's to James McKay's, crossing the river at a place called the Brush Bottom Ford, and so along the river by Henry Spears' plantation, and that the said Spears, with Mason Combs, John Sallers, Richard Sheitz, William Hurst, William Overall, Thomas Hues, Zachariah McCoy, Torrance Carroll, Wm. Dickenson, Steven Philips, Alexr. Gunnod (?), James McNeal, John Hawkins, Benj. Grider, Ephraim Leath, Charles Williamson, Josiah Parent, Wm. Parent, Thomas Parent, Edmond Bollen, Adam Coningham, Francis Grubbs, keep it in repair.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 27, 1751. - (179) Wm. Harrold appd. overseer of road, vice Wm. Hurst and James McKay, and tithables on west side So. River to Fred'k Cy. and on Goody's Run--keep it in order.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752. - Petition recites that last fall the Court sent James McKay and Richard Harrill to view a road. They accordingly viewed a road to strike out of McKay's road at Reuben Paget's and so to keep down the River on the east side to the County line. Prays an order to appoint Philip Crum, William Hurst or William Harrill to be surveyor, and order all tithables on Flint Run and its branches and Gowny's run and its branches from Walter Cunningham's down to the County line: Jacob Harrill, Peter Emlie, Anthony Horton, Reuben Paget, Richard Harrill, Sr., William Owens, John Kelly, Howard Gibson, James McCoy, Philip Crame, Joseph Hokens, William Hurst, Thomas Lann, Richard Harrill, William Harrill, Thomas Monmon, William Colbee, Thomas Harrill, John Harrill, John Jones, Joseph Ballinger, James Land, Moses Harrill.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752. - Petition of inhabitants of the North side of the South River of Shenandore for a road. About 3 years ago it was ordered to open a road from Caleb Job's plantation down the South side of the said North River to James McCoy's plantation, which road is not suitable, and prepare a location on North side crossing the river at a place called the Brush Bottom Ford and so along the river by Henry Speer's plantation. Prayer for survey: Mason Combs, William Hurst, Zachariah Mackay, Stephen Phillips, John Hankins, Charles Thompson, Thomas Parent, Adam Cunningham, John Sellers, Wm. Overall, Terence Corcal, Alexander Gunnel, Benjamin Guden, Josiah Parent, Edmon Bollin, Thomas Grubs, Richard Shirley, Thomas Hues, Wm. Dickerson, Thomas McNeal, Ephraim Leeth, William Parent.
Information on William Hurst
William Hurst was born about 1710 in Virginia and was no relation to the Hurst family of Leckhamstead, Buckinghamshire, England. His father was John "Of Stafford" Hurst, born about 1675 in Northumberland Co., Virginia, died December 6, 1747, in Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., Virginia, and who was overseer to the estate of Robert "King" Carter. William married Judith Caffrey/Caffree about 1730 in Rapphannock Falls, Virginia. William died before March 29, 1781 (the probate date of his last Will and testament) at his home on the south fork of the Shenandoah River, now known as River Bend, and which today is located in Warren Co., Virginia. He never owned land or lived at Hawksbill Creek, Shenandoah County, Virginia, as stated in the source: http://www.harrelld.freeservers.com/custom3.html (that was a different branch of the Hurst family).
Help fund new features!