m. bef. 1699
Facts and Events
William Henderson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
William Henderson's land (Beverley Manor SE, 1,415 acres, 1747) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. Note land of Thomas Henderson (391 acres, 1738) is adjoining this tract to the west, Thomas Henderson may have been a half-brother of William).
Will of William Henderson
From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Records:
Page 350 - - 2nd September, 1770. William Henderson's will, aged about 71 years - - To wife; two sons, William and David Henderson; to son, James; to three sons-in-law, David and Joseph Bell and John Leeper; to Shusanna Henderson, daughter to son John Henderson; to Shusanna Finley, daughter to daughter Martha; to granddaughter, Jeen Teas. Executors, wife and brother, Samuel Henderson, and testator's son, James Henderson. Teate: Walter Davis, John Carlile. Proved, 20th November, 1770. by the witnesses. James Henderson qualifies executor, with Samuel Henderson, John Carlile.
Parentage of William Henderson
William Henderson, b. abt. 1699 (based upon the age listed in his will in Augusta County) has been identified by some sources as a son of William Henderson and Margaret Bruce, but this is in error, since William and Margaret were not married until February 1704/05. William Henderson, Sr. had a prior marriage, some say to Grissel Russell (sources unknown*), who must have died prior to William Sr.'s marriage to Margaret Bruce. We know that this William Henderson was a son of William, Sr., because he named his "brother Samuel Henderson" in his will in Augusta County, which is listed above.
Information on William Henderson
From the Genealogical Research of David H. Jones (e-mail:earthalive@@earthlink.net) http://home.earthlink.net/~earthalive/hendersonva.html
The Henderson Family of Augusta County, Virginia
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had Henderson ancestors also on my father's side of the family. This family was located for many years in Augusta County, Virginia, near Staunton. They were members of the Tinkling Springs Presbyterian congregation. I have been in communication with Dr. Horace G. Loftin, Clan Genealogist of the Clan Henderson Society and am hopeful that I will in time discover the necessary documentary evidence to link William Henderson (number 3 below) with the Hendersons of Fordell, Scotland. The only question is whether William (number 2 below) was the father or uncle of William (number 3 below). The link is clearly within the same family group.
2. William HENDERSON - b. 30 Apr 1676 - d. 01 Aug 1757 Augusta Cnty, VA - m. (1) unknown - m. (2) Margaret BRUCE
3. William HENDERSON - b. abt. 1699 Scotland - d. Sep 1770 Augusta Cnty, VA - m. Susannah LOGAN
4. David HENDERSON - b. abt 1740 - d. bef 1811 Augusta Cnty, VA - m. abt 1770 Ann RUTLEDGE
5. James HENDERSON - b. abt 1771 - d. bef 1818 - Augusta Cnty - m. 01 Mar 1792 Ann CALDWELL
6. William HENDERSON - b. 07 May 1810 Augusta Cnty, VA - d. 04 Feb 1892 - m. 09 Sep 1834 Elizabeth SWISHER - b. 05 Dec 1813 - d. 07 Jan 1894
7. Lucy HENDERSON - b. abt 1843 - d. 16 Jan 1913 Jacksonville, FL - m. Jacob C. ECKESS - b. 15 Sep 1842 Lewis County, VA - d. 16 Mar 1927 Dinsmore, FL
8. Mollie Florede ECKESS - b. 4 Jul 1875 Upshur County, WV - d. 12 Jan 1933 Stuart, FL - m. Edward C. JONES, Sr. - b. 10 Nov 1872 Hartford County, MD - d. Sep 1939 Fairmont, WV
9. Edward C. JONES, Jr. - b. 5 Mar 1899 Hambleton,WV - d. 31 Dec 1978 Sarasota, FL - m. Laura Jane HENDERSON - b. 3 Jan 1915 Fairmont, WV - d. 12 Oct 1986 Fairmont, WV
10. David Henderson JONES, Sr. - m. Mary Thelma MAY
11. David Henderson JONES, Jr.
http://home.earthlink.net/~earthalive/GenRepJamesH.html Note: other sources have William Henderson's birthdate as abt. 1699, which appears to be more likely, based upon his father's birthdate.
Generation No. 3
WILLIAM HENDERSON was born about 1693 (1699?) in Scotland, and died before September 1770 in Augusta County, Virginia. William Henderson immigrated to the Colonies before 1741. His will was probated 20 Nov 1770 at Augusta County, Virginia. He married SUSANNAH LOGAN who was born about 1727(note: Susannah was probably born earlier, based upon other sources) and died before 21 May 1785.