Facts and Events
William Frogge was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of William Frogge in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Stuart vs. Kesler--O. S. 227; N. S. 80--Bill, 1811. Orators Lewis Stuart, who on 20th April, 1808, purchased 450 acres in Greenbrier which had been conveyed in trust by Henry Hoffman and Anne and Michael Hoffman to Thomas Creigh and John Mathews, 24th June, 1806, to secure John Stuart for a debt, and by them sold to orator 28th June, 1808. The land was granted to William Frogg, 13th July, 1780, issued on a survey dated 30th April, 1751. It was sold by Frogg to John Stuart, 4th September, 1804, and he conveyed to the Hoffmans, 24th June, 1806. But Peter Kesler has possessed himself of 5 acres under patent to John Miller under a survey made in 1774. The survey of 1751 was for George Weaver. Kesler answers that he bought from Edward Miller 12 years ago, who bought from Col. _____ Brown, who bought from John Miller. the patentee (in 1783), who settled it about 1760. Patent to William Frogg, assignee of John Robinson, &c., 450 acres by survey 30th April, 1751, on Greenbrier River, part of Order Council to Greenbrier County, dated 1787. Deed 4th September, 1804, by William Frogg and Mary of Monroe County to John Stuart of Greenbrier, 2 tracts--1st, 450 acres patented above; 2d, 380 acres patented to William, 5th September, 1800. Recorded in Greenbrier, 25th September, 1804. Deed 24th June, 1806, by John Stuart and Agatha to Michael and Henry Huffman, conveys above two tracts. Recorded 24th June, 1806. Deed 24th June, 1806, by the Huffmans to Creighand Mathews, trustees. Recorded June, 1806. Deed 28th June, 1808. Deed by Creigh and Mathews to Lewis Stuart. Recorded 28th June, 1808. James McCoy deposes in Lewisburg, 7th May, 1814. John Miller settled on the land in 1772 and Frogg settled on the adjoining place the next year. Miller claimed under a settlement right. George Weaver had improved Frogg's tract before Miller settled. Samuel Brown deposes as above. John Miller was settled when deponent came to settle in 1771 or 1772. Isaac Estill deposes in Lewisburg, 7th May, 1814: He married Elizabeth, daughter of John Frogg on 9th December, 1788. John was killed in latter part of 1774. John and William were brothers. Elizabeth was born 14th August, 1771. Patent to John Miller, Sr., 220 acres by survey 17th February, 1774, part of John Robinson's and Co's. order Council in Greenbrier County in the Great Levels. Dated 1787. Deed 27 April, 1802, by Edward Miller and Peggy of Greenbrier to Peter Kelso, 138 acres in Greenbrier County. Recorded 29th June, 1802. Deed 29th January, 1798, by Samuel Brown and Elizabeth to Edward Miller, 220 acres. Recorded January, 1798. Deed 30th June, 1795, by John Miller of Harrison County and Jane to Col. Andrew Hamilton, attorney, to Samuel Brown of Greenbrier, 220 acres in Greenbrier, patent to John Miller 1787. Recorded June, 1795. William H. Cavendish deposes in Lewisburg, 24th February, 1813. He settled in Greenbrier in 1769. John Miller, in 1771 or 1772.
Information on William Frogge
44. William Frogge was born ABT 1746/1747 in , Augusta, Virginia, and died 1804 in , Fentress, Tennessee. He was the son of 88. John Frogge and 89. Elizabeth Strother.
45. Mary Mitchell was born ABT 1753 in , Augusta, Virginia, and died 1831 in , , Kentucky. She was the daughter of 90. Cornelius Mitchell and 91. Jane O'Berk.
Children of Mary Mitchell and William Frogge are:
- i. John Frogge was born 1778 in , Greenbrier, Virginia, and died 1803 in , Cumberland, Kentucky. He married Lucretia Miller 8 Jan 1795 in , Greenbrier, Virginia. She was born ABT 1778/1781, and died in , Morgan, Illinois.
- ii. Arthur Robinson Frogge was born 13 Apr 1776 in , Greenbrier, Virginia, and died 13 May 1855 in , Fentress, Tennessee. He married Jane Thompson Richardson 13 Jan 1799 in Wytheville, , Virginia, daughter of William B. Richardson and Martha Rebecca Hayes. She was born ABT 1778/1782 in , Washington, Virginia, and died 17 Jan 1839 in , Tippecanoe, Indiana. He married Luvisa Smith 18 Apr 1841 in , Fentress, Tennessee, daughter of Andrew Smith. She was born 25 Jan 1814 in , , Kentucky.
- iii. Strother Frogge was born 1777/1778 in , , Virginia, and died 1855. He married Sarah Richardson. She was born ABT 1770. He married Lovice. She was born ABT 1805/1806 in , , Kentucky, and died DECEASED.