Facts and Events
||Lt. William Fobes
||Duxbury, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
||Lieutenant. With Capt. Church in Phillip's War
||to Elizabeth Southworth
||Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island, United Statesto Martha Pabodie
||Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Islandto Martha Pabodie
||BET 1683 AND 1712
||Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
||04 NOV 1712
||Described in Little Compton Families Vol 1
||6 Nov 1712
||Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island
|Ancestral File Number
||18 DEC 1712
||Bristol, Rhode Island, USA
||Old Commons cemetary, Little Compton, RI
Wm. Fobes mentions son-in-law Joseph Seabury in his will, and Joseph Seabury is named as an executor of his will. Joseph Seabury is William Fobes son-in-law, by virtue of Joseph's marriage to Phebe Fobes. Phebe is William's daughter by his first marriage, to Elizabeth Southworth. However, Joseph Seabury is also William Fobes' stepson. William's wife, Martha Pabodie, was first married to Samuel Seabury, and had son Joseph.S3
Little Compton Residence: "Lived on the main road in Little Compton on Lot No. 4 of the great lots and near Windmill Hill. He ran a ferry from there to Newport in that part which is now Middletown" - Little Compton Families.
Will (abstracted) of William Fobes
Much of the above statement is incorrect. Joseph Seabury is son-in-law of William Fobes because William Fobes married his mother. In modern usage we distinguish between step-son and son-in-law, but in colonial times, both were called son-in-law, basically son by any reason but blood. Therefore, there is no implied relationship of Joseph's wife Phebe to William Fobes, and she is actually thought to be Phebe (Smith) Seabury. Further William Fobes probably never married Elizabeth Southworth. See a fuller discussion of this at Family Talk:William Fobes and Elizabeth Southworth (1).
- ↑ 16. Martha Pabodie, in Alden Kindred of America Genealogy Database.
"16. Martha Pabodie (Elizabeth Alden, John) was born on 24 Feb 1650/1651 in Duxbury, Plymouth Co., MA. She died on 25 Jan 1711/1712 in probably Little Compton, Newport Co., RI. She was buried in Little Compton, Newport Co., RI.
"Martha married (2) William Fobes about 1682 in probably Duxbury, Plymouth Co., MA. William was born about 1649 in probably Duxbury, Plymouth Co., MA. He died on 6 Nov 1712 in probably Little Compton, Newport Co., RI."
- Wilbour, Benjamin Franklin, and Little Compton Historical Society [Rhode Island]. Little Compton Families. (Little Compton [Rhode Island]: Little Compton Historical Society, 1967 (College Hill Press : Providence, R.I.)), Vol 1 p271-272, Secondary quality.
- ↑ Alden, Mrs. Charles L (Mary Langford Taylor). Elizabeth (Alden) Pabodie and descendants. (Salem, Massachusetts: Eben Putnam, 1897), p 11-13.
- ↑ Webber, Samuel G. (Samuel Gilbert). A genealogy of the Southworths (Southards), descendants of Constant Southworth: with a sketch of the family in England. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1981), 33.
- ↑ Mitchell, Nahum. History of the early settlement of Bridgewater, in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, including an extensive family register. (Boston, MA: Kidde and Wright, 1840), p 159.
- ↑ Wilbour, Benjamin Franklin, and Little Compton Historical Society [Rhode Island]. Little Compton Families. (Little Compton [Rhode Island]: Little Compton Historical Society, 1967 (College Hill Press : Providence, R.I.)), p 271.