Facts and Events
William English was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 38.--9th February, 1744 (prob. s/b 1754). Same (From Col. James Patton) to John Draper and Wm. Englcs, 440 acres, part, &c., as above. Cor. to land on which William Engles lives, estate in the Barrens. Cor. Barrier's land.
- Page 32.--10th February, 1754. Col. James Patton to Wm. Englis, 255 acres, part of Patton's patent on Tom's Creek, a branch of New River. Cor. John Draper's land; Lingell's line; Barrier's line.
Account of William English's family in Early Augusta County, VA
There is a lengthy account of the Indian Killings and capture of the English, Draper and other families in "Peyton's History of Augusta County, Virginia", beginning on page 211.
From Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, pg. 111-113:
Foote's Sketches of Virginia, second series, contain a long account of the circumstances attending the death of Colonel Patton, and of the captivity and escape of Mrs. Mary Ingles. Dr. John P. Hale, of Kanawha, a desceudent of Mrs. Ingles, in his work called "Trans-Alleghany Pioneers," gives a still fuller and, doubtless, more accurate account, and we shall mainly follow the latter.
Thomas Ingles, says Dr. Hale, came from Ireland when a widower, with his three sons, William, Matthew and John, and settled first in Pennsylvania. According to tradition, he, in 1744, accompanied by his son, William, then a youth, made an excursion into the wilds of Southwest Virginia, going as far as New River. On this occasion, it is supposed, he became acquainted with Colonel James Patton. The latter then or soon afterward held a grant from the British crown of 120,000 acres of land west of the Blue Ridge, at that time Augusta county, but in the present counties of Botetourt, Montgomery, etc. The old town of Pattonsburg, on James river, in Botetourt, was called for him, and the opposite town of Buchanan was so named for his son-in-law, Colonel John Buchanan.
During the same excursion, probably, the Ingleses for the first time encountered the Draper family, who had settled on James River, at Pattonsburg. This family consisted of George Draper, his wife, and his two children, John and Mary. While living at Pattonsburg, George Draper went out hunting, and was never heard of again. About the year 1748 the Ingleses, Drapers, Adam Harman, Henry Leonard and James Burke, removed from James river and settled near the present town of Blacksburg, in Montgomery county, calling the place Draper's Meadow, since known as Smithfield.
In April, 1749, the house of Adam Harman was raided by Indians, but, as far as appears, no murders were perpetrated. This is said to have been the first depredation by Indians on the whites west of the Alleghany. It was reported to a justice of the peace for Augusta county, with a view to the recovery of damages allowed by law.
William Ingles and Mary Draper were married in 1750, and John Draper and Bettie Robertson in 1754. The marriages no doubt took place in Staunton, there being no minister nearer Draper's Meadow authorized to perform the ceremony.
Account of Indian Massacre at Draper's Meadow:
In July, 1755, Colonel Patton went to the upper country on business, and was accompanied, it is said, by his nephew, William Preston. He was resting from the fatigues of his journey, and also seeking recovery from sickness, at the dwelling of William Ingles and the Drapers. It was on Sunday, the 8th of July, says Dr. Hale — but circumstances had led us to fix the date at least a week later*—that an unexpected assault was made on the house by Indians. Preston had gone to Philip Lybrook's to engage his help in harvesting. William Ingles and John Draper were away from the house. Foote says they and others were at work in the harvest field ; but if it was on Sunday the statement is quite certainly incorrect. Mrs. John Draper, being in the yard, was the first to discover the Indians. She hastened into the house to give the alarm, and snatching up her sleeping infant ran out on the opposite side. Some of the Indians fired upon her, breaking her right arm, and causing the child to fall to the ground. Taking up the infant with her left hand she continued her flight, but was overtaken, and the scull of the child was crushed against the end of a log. At the moment of the assault, Colonel Patton was sitting at a table writing, with his broadsword before him. Being a man of great strength, of large frame, and over six feet high, he cut down two Indians, but was shot and killed by others out of his reach. Other persons killed were Mrs. George Draper, the child of John Draper, and a man named Casper Barrier. The Indians plundered the premises, securing all the guns and ammunition, and setting fire to the buildings, immediately started on their retreat, carrying with them as prisoners Henry Leonard, Mrs. John Draper, and Mrs. Ingles and her two children,—Thomas four, and George two years of age (Note: the ages of Thomas and George appear to have been reversed from other records). The unarmed men in the field could only provide for their own safety. The country was sparsely settled, and some days elapsed before a rescuing party could be collected.
The Indians, on their hasty retreat, stopped at the house of Philip Barger, an old man, cut off his head and carried it in a bag to Lybrook's. Preston and Lybrook had gone back to Draper's Meadows by a different route from that taken by the Indians, and thus they escaped.
In letters written by Governor Dinwiddie on the nth of August (nine letters were written by him the same day) he referred to Patton's death. To Colonel David Stewart, of Augusta, he wrote .that Patton " was wrong to go so far back without a proper guard." He hoped the wagons with ammunition did not fall into the hands of the Indians ; but he could not conceive what Patton was to do with ammunition "so far from the inhabited part of the country." Writing to Colonel Buchanan at the same date, he expressed regret that the men sent by Buchanan "after the murderers, did not come up with them." This is the only information we have of any pursuit.
A letter written by John Madison, Clerk of the County Court of Augusta, to his cousin, Col. James Madison of Orange, father of President Madison, dated August 19, 1755 (erroneously printed 1753), shows the spirit of the times. We find it in Rieves's Life of Madison. The writer says : "Four families on their flight from a branch of New River this minute passed my house, who say that five men were murdered at the house of Ephraim Voss, on Roanoke, since the death of Col. Patton. 'Tis shocking to think of the calamity of the poor wretches who live on the Holston and New rivers, who for upwards of a hundred miles have left their habitations, lost their crops and vast numbers of their stock. Could you see, dear friend, the women who escaped, crying after their murdered husbands, with their helpless children hanging on them, it could but wound your very soul." He alludes to the appointment of Andrew Lewis as Lieutenant of the county, and expects to see his instructions on next court day. He is extremely obliged to "good friends for the guns sent," and will return them as soon as otherwise provided. He is also much obliged to Col. Madison for an invitation to take refuge with him, but his "train" is too large; and moreover, if he loses his all with his life, his children may as well go too. In a postscript he says: "I verily believe they are determined on our destruction. However, as they come in small parties, if they will be so kind as to stay till I have finished my fort, may Heaven send me a few of them."
Records of William English in Augusta County, VA
- Page 247.--4th August, 1749. George Draper's appraisement, by Richard Hall, Wm. Ingless, Thomas Ingless.
- FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT. - page 119, William Engles, (May), your brother's motion to have you allowed what of the Parish money was consumed in your house; (Note: The Fee Books are the Books of Charges for services rendered, required by law to be kept by the Clerks).
- Page 429.--18th June, 1752. Jacob Lorton and Jacob Harman's bond as administrators of Israel Lorton. with sureties Tobias Bright and Wm. English.
- 1755--List of Robert Breckinridge, Sheriff: Wm. Englis, Constable; Jno. English; Alex. Ingrim (poss. Inglis?) (Note: this record starts out as a list of delinquents, but the section that William and John English are listed in is apparently a processioning list).
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: (among many others) William Ingles, 11th February, 1754;
- Page 170.--15th September, 1758. William Dryer's estate sold to viz: Jno. Mooberry, Ephraim Love, Wm. Cunningham, Wm. Craig, Richard Shanklin, David Nelson, Edward McGary, Charles Differ, Jno. Hughbanks, John Cravens, Thos. Fulton, Wm. Ingles (English), Jas. Thomas, Andrew Erwin, Margt. Dyer, Mathew Black, John Herman, Wm. Brown. Sold and appraised, 5th December, 1759, viz: John Farris, Hugh McGary, Robt. Minnis. Cash due by John Cally. Settlement by Margaret Cravens, late Margaret Dyer, administratrix.
- Page 183.--1st July, 1760. Jomes ( ) Birk and Lucretia, of Cumberland County, North Carolina, to Thomas Walker, of Albemarle, £40, 100 acres on Goose Creek, William Campbell's line. Teste: Wm. Ingles, James Bane, Jno. Hawkins. Delivered: Thomas Madison, 11th March, 1763.
- Page 379.--19th May, 1761. John Draper and Elisabeth ( ) to Richard Doggett, of Bedford County, £75, 315 acres on Tom's Creek; cor. William Inglese's land, Lingell's line. Delivered by your order, September, 1763.
- Page 382.--19th May, 1761. Same to same (John Draper and Elisabeth ( ) to Richard Doggett, of Bedford County), £75, 220 acres, part of 440 acres conveyed to John Draper and William Inglis by Patton, 8th February. 1754 (230 to be laid off next to the land where said John formerly dwelt), cor. land whereon Wm. Inglis lived, stake in the Barrens; cor. Casper Barrier. Delivered.
- Page 78.--15th August, 1761. Johnston Hill's estate appraised by Abraham Smith, Daniel Harrison, Adam Stevenson--James Lawrence's note; Wm. Ingles' ditto; cash in Daniel Ponder's hands; cash in hands of Jonathan Douglass.
- Page 345.--23d November, 1703 (s/b 1763). Adam Wall's will--To sister, Apell (Apol ?), Wall, 1/2 of his estate which is 150 acres on New River, her part joining on Strupel's Creek; to brother's son, John Wall; to eldest brother's son, Andrew Wall; to Jacob Nomel (?); to sister, Apell Wall, £20 in Adam Harman, Sr.'s hands, and also what is due from Wm. Ingles for beef. Teste: James Calloway, Thos. Ingles, Ezel Morris. Proved, 19th June, 1764, by James Calloway. Apple Wall qualifies administratrix, with Pat. McCollom, Andrew Evans. (Apple's mark ).
- Page 763.--10th January, 1764. John Buchanan and Wm. Thompson executors of James Patton, £215, 400 acres on north side James River. Teste: Henry Field, Wm. Simpson, Thomas ( ) Garraway, Jno. Frazer, Wm. and Alex. Ingles (Note: this certainly indicates some type of relationship between William English and Alexander English (b. bef. 1744) who is also in early records of Augusta County, possibly a brother or cousin?)
- Page 357.--19th January, 1767. Daniel Brown, of Orange County, North Carolina, to Isaac Taylor, £30, 103 acres on Little River, a branch of New River, mouth of Old Field Creek. Teste: William Ingles, Samuel Adams, Henry Brown. Delivered: John Reaburn by your order, October, 1768.
- Page 424.--28th March, 1767. Richard Stanton and Charity ( ) to William Herbert, £105, tract that Thomas Stanton, Sr., purchased from John Bengamon, Sr., to whom it was patented, 20th June, 1753, containing 460 acres on a branch of Woods River at place called Poplar Camp. Teste: Is. Christian, Anthony Bledsoe, W. Ingles, John Hanha, Jacob Lorton ( ), Edmund Vausell, James Hodge, Andrew Miller. Delivered: Thomas Madison.
- Page 67.--21st November, 1767. William Ingliss' bond (with Israel Christian) to keep the public ferry established on his land across New River. (Note: this became known as "Inglis' Ferry")
- Page 81.--12th February, 1768. Frederick Starn (Stern) to George Teetar, £10, 85 acres by patent 22d August, 1753, on Crab Creek, a branch of New River. Teste: W. Ingles, William Davis, John Taylor, John and Wm. Buchanan. Sent to George Teeter by his order, April, 1769.
- Page 271.--14th March, 1768. William Bryan to James Bryan, £100, 267 acres on Roanoke, alias Goose Creek; corner William Bryans, Jr., James Burk's line. Teste: William Ingles, William Tutt, Samuel Woods, William Preston. Delivered: Mr. Samuel Lewis, 16th January, 1772.
- Page 49.--26th April, 1769. James ( ) Scaggs (Skeggs), Sr., and Rachel ( ) to James Scaggs, Jr., £100, 104 acres patented to Samuel Ratlive 22d August, 1753, and conveyed to James, Sr., on Meadow Creek, a branch of New River. Teste: William Preston, Richard Whitt, James ( ) Skggs, John ( ) Skggs, Is. Christian, James Buchanan, W. Ingles.
- Page 237.--(17th August, 1769. The estate of Col. James Patton, Dr.--) By cash from, viz (apparently in payment of piece of land belonging to Col. Patton's estate): Wm. Ingles (among many others).
- Ross vs. Smith--O. S. 14; N. S. 5--Bill filed 9th July, 1798. David Ross complains that in 1753, 24th October, under Order of Council granting lands to the Loyal Company, a survey was made of 190 acres for Timothy, Col _____, in Washington County, formerly Augusta, in Rich Valley on waters of the North Fork of Holstein River. The Company gave titles upon payment of surveyors' fees and £3 for every 100 acres. Dr. Thomas Walker, now deceased, had the management of the affairs of the Company, as well as being a member, and he appointed William English his agent. Cole abandoned his land, and then in September, 1768, Joseph Scott and Stephen Trigg paid the fees on the same tract and received a receipt therefor on 16th January, 1773. Scott transferred his right to Stephen. Ross purchased from Stephen, 18th August, 1775. George Smith was then in possession. The affairs of the Loyal Company were brought before the Supreme Court, and on 3d May, 1783, the title of the Company to all lands surveyed by them prior to 1776 was established. Answer says (Fisher? Jasper?) Cox first improved the land. The name is probably Jester Cocke. Dr. Walker was from Albemarle. See this suit for settlement of Holston and names.
- Maxwell vs. Pickens, &c.--O. S. 129; N. S. 45--Bill, 1807. Orator is James Maxwell of Tazewell County. In 1772 orator went from Botetourt, where he lived, to present Tazewell County to make a settlement. It was then a wilderness. He was in company with Samuel Walker. Found a tract with some improvements, viz: The foundation of a cabin, some rails split and some trees deadened. That night they fell in with a party of hunters, among them Uriah Stone, who claimed to have made the improvement, and orator purchased it, and the same year moved his family there and lived until 1784. In that time two of his daughters were killed by the Indians. William Ingles set up claim to the land and devised it to his daughter Rhoda, who married Bird Smith. Thomas Peery deposes in Tazewell County in 1809, that in 1772, when deponent went to that country, James Maxwell had made improvements on the lands and had corn growing in May. In 1781 or '82 Indians murdered two of Maxwell's daughters and Maxwell removed his family. James Peery deposes that he went to Tazewell with Major Maxwell. John Peery deposes that John Tollett moved from Georgia to New River. Thomas Witten deposes that he was on the land in 1771. Samuel Walker is about to remove out of the country and William Wynne is aged and infirm in 1807. Mathias Harman deposes, 1809 that when he first came to this country the land in dispute was called Ingles's Crabb orchard and there was an old improvement on it. This was in 1760. Henry Marrs deposes that he first knew Maxwell on the land in 1773 or 1774. About three weeks after murder of Maxwell's daughters, two of Robert Moffitt's sons were taken prisoners by Indians, and about a week after that the family of Capt. Thomas Inglis was taken out of Burk's Garden by Indians and depredations were committed until 1793. Daniel Harman, Sr., deposes 22d June, 1809, that about 49 years ago he was on a hunting expedition and camped on the land in dispute and took shelter in a small cabin built there, said to be Inglis's. Col. Inglis did not himself make the settlement, but it was made by his uncle, John Inglis. Joseph Hix deposes as above, that 44 years ago Col. Wm. Inglis told him that the land was his and he claimed it under his uncle, John Ingles. Lawrence Murry deposes as above, that 33 years ago he was in Wright's Valley at Uriah Stone's cabin. William Cecil deposes as above, that in or about 1771 he, in company with his brother and father, was on the disputed land. Deed dated 24th September, 1805, by John Tollett and Margaret of Tazewell County to Thomas Pickens: 200 acres by survey in 1753 part of Loyal Company's grant. Recorded in Tazewell, 24th September, 1805.
- Winn vs. Inglish's heirs--O. S. 48; N. S. 16. In 1771 Valentine Harmon took possession of a tract on Clinch River, in present Tazewell County and raised a cabin on it. In 1773 he sold to orator William Winn (Wynn) by writing executed September, 1800, acknowledged in Lincoln County, Ky. Orator lived on the land from 1773 until Commissioners sat to adjust titles, but a certain Wm. Inglish, since deceased, claimed the tract and got a certificate by a survey made for the Loyal County, which claim orator charges is fraudulent. Henry Harmon, Sr., had a son Henry Harmon, Jr.; also a son Hezekiah Harmon. William Christian and Daniel Trigg, executors of William Inglish; Abraham Trigg and Susannah, his wife, late Inglish; Bird Smith and Rhoda, his wife, late Inglish; John Gills (Grills) and Mary, his wife, late Inglish; John and Thomas Inglish, heirs and devisees of William; Henry Harmon, Sr., answers 27th October, 1804, that Obadiah Garwood made the first settlement in 1752. Henry was in the habit of collecting the men and fighting the Indians. On his return from such an expedition he called at his brother's (Valentine?), who lived near complainant. One of his sons named Daniel was killed by Indians. Henry Harman and Hezekiah Harman answer: In 1752 Obadiah Garwood and his two sons, Noah and Samuel, came from the Northward and settled; remained some time and then went to remove their families, but the Indian War broke out and the country became untenable. Valentine Harman removed to Kentucky about 1775-1776. William Inglish died in 1782 testate, leaving the land to his daughter Susannah, wife of Abraham Trigg. Jeremiah Pate deposes he helped the Garwoods improve the land. He says they were Samuel and his two sons, Obadiah and Noah. Thomas Pierie deposes 30th, May, 1805: Daniel Harman, Sr., is brother to Henry Harman, Sr., and uncle to Henry Harman, Jr., and his father-in-law and uncle to Hezekiah Harman. Jeremiah Pate, Sr., is a brother-in-law to Henry Harman, Sr., and an uncle to Henry Harman, Jr. Thomas Pierie's son married William Wynne's daughter. Col. James Maxwell deposes he went to Clinch in 1772. John Peerey deposes. Jesiah Wynne, son of William, deposes. Daniel Harman, Sr., deposes 30th May, 1805, that the spring he moved to the head of Clinch; Valentine Harman lived on the plantation where Henry Harman, Jr., now lives and Valentine sold to Wm. Wynne for a mare, a horse and a wagon. Samuel Walker deposes 30th May, 1805: In 1771 he came to the head of Clinch and met Valentine, who said he was coming to it or this country to see after "some Harres that run Hear." The following fall, deponent came again with Robert Moffitt. Shortly afterwards two men came out, viz: John Stutler and Uriah Stone, and the spring following, said Moffett moved his family out. Oliver Wynne deposes, son of William. Lawrence Murry deposes that the spring after the Chericee War he came into this country. William Wynne was in possession that and the next year, and then his son-in-law Peter Edwards was in possession 3 or 4 years, then Wynne occupied it one or two years, then a cropper named John Ridgel (Rigdgel) occupied it. Daniel Harman, Sr. (above), is brother of Henry Harman, Sr. Christopher Marrs, brother-in-law of Wm. Wynne, deposes Jeremiah Pate, Sr., of Little River in Montgomery County, is brother-in-law to Henry Harman, Sr., who is uncle to Henry Harman, Jr. Henry Harman, Sr., had one of his sons killed, skalped and massacred by the Indians in the attempt of settling the land who left a wife and four young children. John Peery (Blacksmith) deposes (there seem to have been two John Peerys).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Clark, Pat B. The History of Clarksville and Old Red River County. (Dallas: Mathis, Van Nort & Co., 1937), pp. 171-97.