William Edmondson, of Rockbridge County, VA
Facts and Events
||William Edmondson, of Rockbridge County, VA
||bef. 5 February 1782
||Washington County, Virginia
William Edmondson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Parentage of William Edmondson
William Edmondson, apparently a different person than Col. William Edmondson, generally referred to as "Rockbridge William", is a possible son of David "Turk" Edmiston of Augusta County. He is likely a brother of James Edmondson, who also had his will recorded in Rockbridge County in 1783. [Source: Edmondson Family Association Bulletin Archives]
Will of William Edmondson
- WILL OF WILLIAM EDMONDSON OF ROCKBRIDGE CO, VIRGINIA
- February 23, 1779
- In the name of God amen, I William Edmondson of Rockbridge Co. Being Very weak in body but in perfect mind and mimory and calling to mind the Mortality of the body that is apointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament. This is to say principally and first of all I give and Recomend my soul to God that gave it and my Body I recommend to the Earth to be buried at the discretian of my Executora and my Worldly Estate I give and Dispose in the following manner and form.
- And first I allow my Lands and two work horses and all my Plantation impliments to be sold and the Money arising thin from to be equally divided amongst my three sons Viz William, Robert and John and I hereby impower my Execut to make a Title for my Lands when disposed of and also my stain of hogs to be Divided amongst my three sons equally and my Cattle and Sheep and Looms and (unreadable) and all Household Plenishings to be equally Divided amongst three daughters Isable, Anne and Mary excepting five pounds to be paid to my Daughter Elisabeth Peebles. And hereby appoint Constitute and Ordain Charles Campbell and Samuel Patterson my sole and ? Executors of this my Last Will and Testament and I hereby Revoke Disable and Disallow of all former wills by one mark. In Withness whereof I have set my hand and Seal this ?-?.
- Signed in the Presence of Thomas Steel and David Steel.
- At a court held for Rockbridge County February the Fifth 1782
- This Last Will and Testament of William Edmondson Deed was Presented in Court by Charles Campbell and Samuel Patterson the Executors therein named and proved by the Oaths of Thomas Steel and David Steel Witnesses thereto. And ordained to be Recorded and on the Motion of said Executors who made oath according to the Said Certificate is granted them for Oblixining Probate this of in due form giveing whereupon they together with Andron Hall and Jno Bruyer Acknowlege Bond in the sum of Five Hundred pounds Conditions According to Law.
- [Rockbridge County, Virginia Wills and Administrations Book 1. page 146, LDS film #033748.]