Facts and Events
William Crawford was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Baptism at Tinkling Spring
William Crawford is listed in the Tinkling Spring List of Baptisms in Augusta County, Virginia on 1 June 1746.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's: (this may pertain to this William Crawford)
- Page 432.--22d May, 1782. Enos Atwater and Annahellena to Moses Early, William Crawford, John Beach, one-half acre in Staunton whereon Enos now lives, formerly occupied by Wm. Gilham and Thomas Smith, fronting the house and lot of the late Rodger North, deceased, conveyed to Enos by Gilham.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's: (this may pertain to this William Crawford)
- Page 209.--23d April, 1785. Moses Easley, Crawford Black & Co., by Wm. Crawford, to Henry Miller, mortgage, lot whereon Peter Heiskell now lives, formerly occupied by Enos Atwater, by William Gilham and Thomas Smith, fronting the house of the late Roger North, deceased, and also 80 acres, as described in deed, Gibson to Atwater. Teste: Charles Cameron, Benj. Roberts, Geo. Mayberry.
Will of William Crawford
- Page 23.--2d October, 1792. William Crawford's will--To wife, Rachel, land adjoining Robert Rennock's line, James Elliot's line, Samuel Gardner's line; to son, Alexander, land above, and to give George Crawford learning; to sons, James, John, and William; to son, George; to daughter, Polly Armstrong, £5; to Nancy Tolman, £5; to daughters, Jenny and Rachel; house to be finished and painted. Executors, wife Rachel, John Crawford, Samuel Crawford, Alex. Craig, and son Alexander. Teste: Joseph Thompson, Hannah Sawyers, Rachel Crawford, Rebecca Sawyers. Proved, December Court, 1792, by Hannah and Rebecca Sawyers and Joseph Thompson. Alexander and Rachel Crawford qualified. Alex. Craig expressly refused to qualify. Other executors have leave to qualify hereafter.
- William Crawford
- Birth: 1 Jun 1744 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Death: 19 Oct 1792 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Sex: M
- Father: Alexander Crawford b. 1716 in Ireland
- Mother: Mary McPheeters b. in Ireland
- Burial: Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Changed: 24 Jul 2001 23:29:56
- Spouses & Children
- Rachel Sawyers (Wife) b. 30 Apr 1750 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Marriage: 1765 in ,Augusta,Virginia
- Alexander Crawford b. 1 Jan 1766 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- George Crawford b. 1768 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Mary Crawford b. 14 Feb 1770 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Nancy Crawford b. 14 Feb 1770 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- James Crawford b. 29 Feb 1772 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- John Crawford b. 27 Mar 1775 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Jane Crawford b. 1777 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- Rachel Crawford b. 1779 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- William Crawford b. 13 Feb 1780 in Augusta Co.,Virginia
- CRAWFORD, WILLIAM, born June 1, 1744 in Augusta County, Virginia and died there on October 15, 1792. Married about 1765 to Rachel Sawyers, born in Augusta County, Virginia on April 30, 1750 and died in Howell, Lincoln County, Tennessee on September 4, 1821.
- SERVICE:Private and Patriot, manufacturing and supplying arms to
- Continental Army, Augusta County, Virginia.
- CHILDREN:1. Alexander.
- 2. James.
- 3. John, born March 27, 1775 married (1) Margaret Buchanan, (2) Elizabeth Rutherford.
- 4. William, born February 14, 1780, married (1) Rachel Titus (2) Nancy Gibson.
- 5. George, born 1786, married Elizabeth
- 6. Polly, married - Armstrong.
- 7. Nancy, married - Talman.
- 8. Jenny.
- 9. Rachel.
- MEMBERS:Christova Queenelle Sawyer Flache, No. 550602.
- Irene Elaine Falche Parks, No. 550603.
- [Citation: Roster of Revolutionery Ancestors - Texas Society, http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CRAWFORD/1999-07/0932324803].
- ↑ Wilson, Howard McKnight. The Tinkling Spring, Headwater of Freedom. (Privatetly published by The Tinkiling Spring and Hermitage Presbyterian Churches, pub. Fishersville, Virginia), pg. 472.