Facts and Events
William Craig was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 158.--16th February, 1748. David Logan, farmer, to Wm. Craig, Farmer. Corner Wm. Thompson; Samuel Givens; Cathey's River; Jane, wife of David.
- 16 Feb 1748 -- David Logan, farmer, transfers/sells property to Wm. Craig. Jane Logan, wife to David, as a witness.
Will of William Craig
- Page 348.--21st February, 1756. William (his "a" mark) Craig's will, yeoman--Wife, Janet; eldest son, Robert Craig; 3 sons, Robert, James and John. Executors, Robert and James Craig. Teste: Geo. Crawford, James Leard. Proved, 26th November, 1759. James Craig refused to execute. Robert qualifies, with Jas. Craig, Geo. Crawford.
- Page 353.--14th March, 1760. William Craig's appraisement, by Saml. Henderson, Jas. Beard, Andw. Leeper. John Craig, debtor; James Craig, debtor.
Records of William Craig in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1748. - (58) Saml. Lockhart to be added to list of tithables, Robt. Smith to be added to list of tithables, Wm. Craig to be added to list of tithables, also Robert Craig, James Craig, and John Craig.
- Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. - 1749: Petition, 18th May, 1749, of inhabitants of North River and Picot (peaked) Mountain for a road beginning at John Man's smithshop on the south side of the Peaked Mountain, thence eastward to John M(W)igard's joining to the mountain road and from the smithshop westward to the Stone Meeting House, joining to the Court House Road, and that Jacob Rodger, Robert Scot and James Berd be appointed to lay it out. Jacob Herman, Feldy Pence, Mathew Shope, Jacob Maler, John Bomgardner, John Lynn, Jacob Rodgers, James Berd, Jacob Perer, Mathew Sharp, ____ Man, Jacob Man, William Milburn, Jared Chambers, Robert Scot, Robert Hooks, George Scot, William Craig, John Craig, Mathew Thomson, Mathew Thomson, Jr.
- Page 147.--5th April, 1751. Sale held of the estate of Jacob Pence, and settlement of estate by Peter Miller, executor of Val. Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, recorded 18th May, 1762. Sold to Henry Dooley, James Bartley, Wm. Craig, Jno. Fudge, James Downey, Joseph Wait, Repentance Townsend, Jacob Harman, Saml. Muncy, Robt. Hook, Danl. Love, David Loran, Wm. Beard, Johnston Hill, David Crighton; to cash. Paid Jno. Wright, Henry Perkey, Jno. Maggart, Andw. Faught, Jacob Pence. Nicholas Trout, Thos. Crawford, Archd. Huston.
- Page 311.--17th May. 1759. Samuel Scott's estate settlement, by Robert Scott and Robert Hooks, executors. Paid Thos. Stevenson, Christopher Zimmerman, Robt. McFarson, David Nelson, Henry Downs, Saml. Wilkins, Wm. Craig, Wm. Snodon, Margaret Fowler, William Jordan, Jno. Vought, Patrick Cain, Doctor Harrison, Hugh Thompson, Jonathan Gibson, Jas. Beard; 1 coffin for Samuel Scott; 1 coffin for George Scott; keeping 3 negroes one year, nine months, bv R. Scott. Vendue to, viz: David Crighton, Jno. Paul Fought, David Logan, Jas. Underwood, James Berkley, widow McDonald, Patrick Quin. Joseph Kinkade, John Love, Bernard Man, Jacob Pence, John Wilkins, Ann Scott.