Facts and Events
William Carothers was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Carothers's land (Borden Tract SE, 340 acres, 1753 & 96 acres, 1754) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. Also adjoining these two tracts is the tract acquired from John Matthews (297 acres) earlier in 1748.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 505.--18th May, 1748. 165. John Mathews, yeoman, to William Carruthers, yeoman, 297 acres, 2 R., 10 P., part of Borden's 92,100, and conveyed by Borden to John, 11th June, 1742, on a hill called the Timber Ridge; corner to John Gray. Teste: Benj. Borden, Richard Wood, Alexander McCoskey. Acknowledged, 19th May, 1748.
- Deed Book 5:161 -- 19th March, 1753. Borden, etc., to William CARUTHERS, 340 acres of 92100; Mathew Lyle's corner; McSPADDEN's line; Alexander McCleery's line.
- Deed Book 6:406 -- 21st August, 1754. Borden's executors to William CARUTHERS, £3, 96 acres, part of 92,100; corner Wm. CARUTHERS and Samuel Gray. Delivered to Wm. Bowyer, May, 1758.
- Deed Book 7:114 -- 13th March, 1755. John White, yeoman, to Wm. CARUTHERS, yeoman, 10 acres adjoining said Wm. CARUTHERS in Borden's land; corner John White's little survey. Teste: Moses WHITESIDES, Jacob Gray. Livery by branches of an oak and hiccory.
- Deed Book 7:278 -- 6th March, 1756. John Robison and Margrey ( ) to Wm. CARRUTHERS, £43, 160 acres, part of Borden's 92100 and conveyed to John by Thos. Paxton, Jr., 29th May, 1751, on South River. John Lowry s line, cor. Thos. Paxton; cor. Moses WHITESIDES. Teste: James McKee, John Makey. [Chalkley, V3, page 341]. [BERRY site map # 248].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Deed Book 5:502 -- 21st November, 1753. Wm. CORUTHERS to John White, 187 acres in Borden's tract. Tract of John Gray, deceased, McCreary's line, MCSPEDEN's [McSPADDEN’s] line, Nathan People's cor.
- Page 505.--21st November, 1753. Same (From Wm. Coruthers) to Nathan Peoples, 187-1/2 acres Borden's land; James Greenlee's and John Gray's, deceased, line; cor. above, McSpeadin's line; Mathew Lyle's cor.
- Deed Book 7:117] -- 19th March, 1755. Wm. CARUTHERS, yeoman, to Jno. White, yeoman, 20 shillings, 10 acres in Borden's tract as above. Livery by branches of an oak and hiccory. [Chalkley, V3, page 336].
- Page 280.--13th March, 1756. William Coruthers and Margaret ( ) to John Macky, £115, 361 acres, part of Borden's 92.100 and conveyed to William by John Mathews, gent., 18th June, 1748. Cor. John White in James Greenlee's line; cor. Samuel Gray's new survey; said Coruthers' old survey.
- Deed Book 1 3:380 -- 14th August, 1767. William CARRUTHERS and Margret ( ) and Mathew Robertson and Elizabeth ( ) to Moses McClure, £1.5, 3-1/2 acres on South River, a branch of North Branch of James River, Moses McClures line. Teste: Joseph Walker. [Chalkley, V3, page 455].
Records of William Carothers in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 164.--18th August, 1749. Thomas Taylor's inventory and appraisement by Nathaniel Evans, Wm. Caruthers, Mathew Lisle.
- Page 414.--20th May, 1752. Improvements on John Hogshead's plantation. £40, by Simpson and John Archer. 21st May, 1752, John Gray's appraisement by Danl. Lyle, William Caruthers, Archd. Alexander.
- Page 444.--22d August, 1752. Alexander McCleary's appraisement, by Mathsw and Daniel Lyle, Wm. Caruthers. Cash due from Nancy.
- Page 276.--6th May, 1758. John McCroskry's (signed Coskry) will, planter--To wife Elizabeth, Thomas Hill's bond; to daughter Elizabeth; to son James, 10 shillings; to son William, 10 shillings; to son John, 10 shillings; to son-in-law, William Caruthers; to son-in-law Saml. Huston; to son Alex. McCroskry, 10 shillings; to son Samuel, 10 shillings; to son David, 10 shillings; to son-in-law James Hope, 10 shillings; to granddaughter Margaret Hope and her two brothers; Saml. and David to pay the bonds assigned to James and William in case they lose not their lands by the enemy; Robert and Alexander Tedford's bonds to pay Margaret Hope; James and Isaac Anderson's bond to be divided between sons and daughters. Executors, son Samuel. Andrew Hays, Alex. Miller. Teste: James Moore, Jno. Maskamell, Alex. McCroskry. Proved, 15th November, 1758, by Moore and McCroskry. McCroskry and Miller qualified (the other not appearing), with Samuel Huston, John Cunningham.
- Page 468.--21st November, 1771. Recorded. Charles McGee's estate, Dr. to Saml. McRoberts, administrator--Paid to. viz: Robert Montgomery, John McRoberts, Joseph Montgomery, James Montgomery, Wm. Caruthers. Received, viz: John Coonby's note. James Jervis' note, Josiah Ramsey's note.
Information on William Carothers
From GENEALOGICAL RECORD OF THE ANCESTORS AND DESCENDANTS OF JOHN FRANKLIN CAROTHERS CLARENCE AND PLATT CITY, MISSOURI, EDITED AND COMPLIED BY JOHN FRANKLIN CAROTHERS (http://www.carothers.org/CarothersFamilyHistory.pdf):
THE CAROTHERS FAMILY IN VIRGINIA
William Carruthers was descended from the family of Howmains of Annandale, Scotland, whose motto was “Promptus et Fidelis”, and who were distinguished in the fight against the English and Baliol. He was one of the first settlers in what is now Rockbridge County, Va. A deed of land in Augusta County, as early as May 1748 and other deeds of 1756 and 1758. No trace found of any Carruthers, other than William and his descendants. His wife’s name was Margaret. They
lived on a farm in the forks of the James and North Rivers, Rockbridge County, Va. They had five sons and two daughters as follows:
- 1. Samuel Carruthers married Rebecca Moffitt, died May 14, 1779.
A child Esther married Mitchell Woods.
- 2. Esther Carruthers married Henry McClung, died 1818.
- 3. Robert Carruthers married Anne Alexander, daughter of Archibald Alexander and Margaret Parks, aunt of Rev. Archibald Alexander of Princeton, died 1781 and children as follows:
a. William Carruthers, married Miss Wilson, removed to
b. Phoebe Carruthers married (-) Wilson, lived near
c. Esther Carruthers married Wm. McCrary of Rockbridge
d. Anne Carruthers married (-) Wilson of Rockbridge County,
e. Robert Carruthers not married in 1829.
f. Hannah Carruthers married Andrew Cummings, near South
- 4. Capt. John Carruthers was in the Revolutionary War. Married Miss Peage. Children as follows:
a. William Carruthers, merchant in Lexington, Va., married
Phoebe Alexander. Children were:
1. Juliet Carruthers married William Alexander in
2. John Franklin Carruthers, A. B. Washington
3. Wm. Alexander Carruthers, Washington College
1820. Physician in New York and Savannah, Ga.
Married Miss Gibson of Savannah, died 1846.
4. Archibald Alexander Carruthers, Washington
College in 1826. Civil Engineer on James Canal.
Died at Columbia in 1836.
b. Phoebe Carruthers married Alexander Shields, Rockbridge
County, Va. Children were:
1. A son moved to Richmond
2. A daughter married Burton
3. A daughter married J. A. Cummings.
c. Isaac Carruthers, married Jane Benson, lived at and partly
owned Sulpher Springs, Va.
- 5. James Carruthers, Justice of the County Court of Rockbridge County, Va. Manufacturer of iron, moved to Botetourt County, married Hannah Payton (Paxton), daughter of John Paxton and Martha Blair. Children were:
a. John P., moved to Mississippi
b. William, graduated from Washington College in 1818. A farmer, and lived in Rockbridge, Bedford and Nottoy
Counties. Held office in C. S. A. died in 1877.
c. Samuel Carruthers graduated from Washington College in 1821. Physician in Fincastle, Va. And Holly Springs Miss.
Surgeon in C. S. A. Married Anne Backus, died in 1870.
d. Benjamin F. Carruthers, A. B. Washington College 1828.
District Attorney, Carroll County Judge Circuit Court.
Died in 1855.
e. Polly Carruthers
f. Margaret Carruthers
g. Betsy Carruthers.
- 6. Joseph Carruthers married Rachel Trimble. Their son James Carruthers graduated from Washington College as lawyer. Moved to Jackson County, Tenn. Died in 1863.
- 7. Rachel Carruthers married (-) Wilson. Lived in Tennessee.
Name: William Caruthers
Given Name: William
Change Date: 16 Apr 2000 at 05:57:06
Father: James Caruthers b: in Scotland
Mother: M Morrison
Marriage 1 Margaret McCroskey b: ABT 1718 in Ireland
Robert Caruthers b: 1744 in Rockingham Co. VA
James H. Caruthers b: 1759 in Augusta Co. VA