Facts and Events
William Bumpass was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land:
- William Bumpass, 267 acres, Cooks Creek. Adjoining Daniel Love, Mathew Blacks. April 27, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 7].
Records in Virginia
- Mar 1769: Downing (first name not given) vs Phagan, William Bumpass and Samuel Hunter - undertakes to be Spl. Bale & _____. [Bedford County, Virginia Order Book 3, pg. 524].
- Page 57.--16th March, 1773. Mathew Shawdon's estate to Susannah Shadon, executrix--Cash paid Robert Shipley, Archibald Fisher, James and Joseph Snodgrass, William Bumpass. Whiskey for the funeral, 20/0. [Chalkley's, Vol. 3].
Information on William Bumpass
From Rootsweb.com post:
From: "Bumpas" <Bumpas@erols.com>
Subject: [BUMP-L] Virginia, Tennessee BUMPASSes
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:36:25 -0400
Bettye Heinrich <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote on Thursday, July 09, 1998 10:15 PM
It has been about a year since I have looked at a Bumpass genealogy that was sent to me about 2 yrs ago. I went to the LAB scan for the Lynn Albert Bumpus bk and found that apparently this line is not included in his bk. It begins in Bedford CO VA in 1754 with William Bumpass, Sr and his wife, Mary. There children were:
- Elizabeth Ann Bumpass bc 1760-70 m. John Elgin.
- Robert Bumpass b 1770-75 m. Mary Hendrick Craddock
- Garret Bumpass b bef 1775
- Ann m. Richard Craddock
- Wm Bumpass Jr
- Mary H. Bumpass b 1780-90 m Boswell Goodman
- Patsey Bumpass bc 1786 m. Nathaniel Dews.
This family moved from VA to Wilson CO TN where William Bumpass, Sr died btw Dec 1804 and the March court of 1805.
Billy Frank Bumpass of Burleson, TX compiled this brochure on his Bumpass line.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).