Facts and Events
William Brown was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
William Brown received a patent for 160 acres "on North River Shanandore" on 11th July, 1761, as listed in the record below:
- Page 101.---19th November, 1766. Benj. Logan to Jacob Hornbarrier, £40, 160 acres on North River Shanandore. patented to Wm. Brown, 11th July, 1761, and by him conveyed to Benj., below mouth of Cook's Creek. Delivered: Jacob Hornberry (Hornberger), November, 1768.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 272.--1760: Processioned by John Malkem and Alex. Blair, viz: For John Young, for Robert Young, for James Anderson, for Alex. Blair, for John Anderson, for John Francey, for Wm. Cunningham, fnr John McKemy. for Walter Trimble, for Hugh Dever, for John Davies, for _____ Doughlas, for Daniel Smith, for Bigham's land formerly known by the name of Gragg's, for Gabriel Pickens, for Robert Poage, for Abraham Smith, for Isaiah Shipman, for David Robiston, for Silas Hart, for John Cunningham, for Henry Smith, for Widow Ramsey, for Thomas Woodal, for Moses Hall, for Andrey McCown, for James Bell, for Edward Erwin, for Alex. Craig, for Wm. Frame, for Thos. Waterson, for Francis Brown, for John King, for John Searight, for John Kear, for Hugh Campbell, for Alex. Kile, for Robert Fowler, for James Gamble, for James Leeper, Sr. and Jr., for James Blair, for Edward Erwin's land formerly known as Brownlee's place, for Adam Stevenson, for Umphrey's place on North River, for Stevenson's place they live on, for Jacob and Christian Roleman, for John Malcom, for William Flimen, for Charles Campbell, for Robert Campbell, for William Brown, for Widow and John and James Alexander, for Michael Dickey, for James Young, for James Patterson, for Andrew Erwin, for John Erwin, for Edward Erwin, for Francis Erwin, for Hugh Campbell, Jr., for James McGill, for Robert Brown, for James Young.
Records of William Brown in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752. - Valuation of Samuel Porter's improvements on Buffalo Creek, 22d May, 1751. Petition for road from John Davis's Mill to Woods's Gap, or to the road now clearing over the mountain near said Gap: Andrew Erwin, Robert Fowler, Edward Erwin, Francis Ervin, Charles Campbell, Michael Dickey, Hugh Diver, John Davies, John Francis, Andrew McCombe, John Magill, Hugh Campbell, Robert Carskadan, William Frame, Robert Campbell, Robert Brown, Charles Diver, Daniel Smith, William Alexander, James Patterson, William Magill, John Erwine, Edward Erwine, Benjamin Erwin, William Brown, Henry Smith, David McCammis, James Anderson, Robert Gamble, Francis Brown, Gabriel Pickens.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 28, 1751. - (574) Road ordered from John Davis's mill to Wood's New Cleared Gap, and John King, with Andrew Erwin, John McGill, Wm. McGill, Robert Fowler, Hugh Campbell, John Erwin, Edward Erwin, Robert Carscaden, Francis Erwin, Edward Erwin, Wm. Frame, Benj. Erwin, Charles Campbell, Robert Campbell, Wm. Brown, Michael Dickey, Robert Brown. Henry Smith, Hugh Diver, Charles Diver, David McCummins, John Davis, Danl. Smith, James Anderson, John Francis, Wm. Alexander, Robert Gamble, Andrew Combe, James Patterson, Francis Brown, Gabriel Pickens, keep it in repair.
- Page 277.--29th November, 1751. Edward Erwin, Sr., yeoman, and Frances, to Edward Erwin, Jr., yeoman, 206 acres, part of 2 patents to Edward, 5th April, 1748, and March, 1747; Long Glade; corner Wm. Brown and John Anderson; Wm. Alexander's corner; John Erwin's line. Teste: Robert, Francis and Benjamin Erwin. Delivered: Benjamin Erwin, May, 1754.
- Page 456.--27th January, 1757. Edward Erwin, Sr., yeoman, to Francis Erwin, yeoman, £200, 184 acres, part of 350 acres patented to Edward, 6th April, 1748; cor. Edward Erwin, Jr., kern of stones; cor. Benj. Erwin. Also 100 acres, part of 220 acres patented to Edward, March, 1747; cor. Wm. Brown and Wm. Alexander. Teste: John, Andrew, Edward Erwin. Sent to Francis Erwin by order 28th September, 1774.
- Page 170.--15th September, 1758. William Dryer's estate sold to viz: Jno. Mooberry, Ephraim Love, Wm. Cunningham, Wm. Craig, Richard Shanklin, David Nelson, Edward McGary, Charles Differ, Jno. Hughbanks, John Cravens, Thos. Fulton, Wm. Ingles (English), Jas. Thomas, Andrew Erwin, Margt. Dyer, Mathew Black, John Herman, Wm. Brown. Sold and appraised, 5th December, 1759, viz: John Farris, Hugh McGary, Robt. Minnis. Cash due by John Cally. Settlement by Margaret Cravens, late Margaret Dyer, administratrix.
- Page 431.--19th August, 1761. John Megill (Magill, McGill) and Mary to Samuel Brigs, £24; 120 acres, part of 300 acres patented to said John, 12th May, 1759, on North River of Shanandoe; John McClure's land, opposite James Megill's. Teste: Will Brown, Frances ( ) Brown.