Facts and Events
||Southwell, Nottingham, Eng
||12 Aug 1603
||Salford Priors, Warwickshire, England
||12 Aug 1603
||Southwell, Nottingham, , England
||Warwick, Engto Elizabeth
||Lynn, Middlesex County, MassachusettsMigration
||24 MAY 1638
||Lynn, Middlesex County, MassachusettsFreeman
||bet Mar and Jun 1639
||Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
There were two William Ballard's, one in Andover and one in Lynn, who are often intermingled in older sources.
This man has been profiled by the Great Migration Project, which comprehensively reviews the contemporary records.Their profile of William of Lynn includes the following:
- born about 1603, parents undetermined.
- On 13 July 1635, "W[illia]m Ballard," aged 32, husbandman, "Elizabeth Ballard," aged 26, "Hester Ballard," aged 2 and "Jo[hn] Ballard," aged 1, were enrolled at London as passengers for New England on the James [Hotten 107]
- Freeman in Lynn 24 May 1638
- Estate record, probably 1639, states:
Nicholas Browne and Gearard Spencer [worn]
affirmeth that being with Mr. Will[ia]m Ballard of Linn [worn]
before his death, & persuading him to make his will [worn]
said Mr. Ballrd told them, he intended to do it the next [worn]
died before he could put it in writing, he would have [worn]
half his estate, & the other half to be divided among [worn]
children the said Will[ia]m Ballard being then of perfect [worn]
taken upon oath 1 of 1st m[worn]
- Death, between 13 March 1638/9 (when he signed a committee report [MBCR 1:253]) and 6 June 1639 (when he was replaced on a committee [MBCR 1:263]). 
- Marriage to Elizabeth, who remarried in 1640 to William Knight.
The profile does not address speculation as to who William's parents were, which generally means that it did not find such speculation in any sources worth considering.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Great Migration Newsletter. (Boston, Massachusetts: Great Migration Study Project), William Ballard entry, accessed 26 May 2003.
- Ancestral File.
- ↑ Anderson, Robert Charles. The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995).
citing Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, 1628-1686, Nathaniel B. Shurtleff, ed., 5 volumes in 6 (Boston 1853-1854); Vol 1:253 and 1:263
- ↑ was admitted to the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company
- ↑ The sketch can be viewed by members ($10 subscription fee) here: http://greatmigration.org/research/sketches/william_ballard.html and should also be in the A-B 1634-1635 volume in hard copy.
- ↑ The Original Lists of Persons of Quality..., John Camden Hotten, ed. (London 1874; rpt. Baltimore 1974)
- ↑ MBCR is Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, 1628-1686, Nathaniel B. Shurtleff, ed., 5 volumes in 6 (Boston 1853-1854)