- William Adairest 1700 - bef 1763
Facts and Events
William Adair was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of William Adair
- Page 294.--17th October. 1763. William Adair's will--Daughter, Sarah Keys; to Roger Keys; to John Keys; to Saml. Keys; to Benj. Keys; to Sarah Keys; to Margaret Keys; to Wm. Wilson, Ann Poage, Nancy Wilson, the note of James Park, the money due by David Dredan; to Alex. McMolan; to Wm. McMolan; to William Wolson; to Ann Poage and Easter McMolan, Easter McMolan Poage, Ann Poage Baxter; to John Rays, whom I appoint executor. "Wolison on ye Sacrament." Executors, Roger Keys. Teste: John Paul, Sarah Keys, Margt. Keys. Proved, 15th November, 1763, by the witnesses. Executor qualified, with John Paul. (Note: John, Samuel, Benjamin, Sarah and Margaret Keys were all children of William's daughter Sarah with her husband Roger Keys).
- Page 309.--29th November, 1763. William Adair's (Gentleman) estate appraised--Watt's Philosophical Essays; 1 Medical Dictionary; 1 Ambrous Looking to Jesus; 1 Practical Physician; 1 Baley's Dictionary; 1 Complete English Dispensitory; 1 Landon Dispensitory; 1 Art of Surgery; 1 Confession of Faith; 1 The Divine Attributes; 1 The of the Sacraments; 1 Arithmetic; 1 The Dying Man's Testament; 1 Collection of Sermons; 1 The Sovereignty and Wisdom of God; 1 Death and Heaven; 1 Medicinal Experiments; 1 The Intrist of England; 1 Being Born Again; 1 Hyme Book; 1 Music Book; 1 Christian's Interest; Explanatory Chatechasm; 1 The Return of Prayer; The Demision of Sin and Grace; 1 Psalm Book; Direction to Communicants; 1 Durham on Death; 1 Divine Breathings; 1 The Wars of England; 1 Sacramental Directory; 1 To Walk with God; 1 Eleven Sermons; 1 Free Happiness; 1 The Free Nonconformist; 1 The Sacrifices of Moses; 2 bookcases.
Records of William Adair in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 16.--26th June, 1746. Robert Sayers, late from Pennsylvania. Will--Sons, William, Alexander; wife, Cathren; daughters, Margaret, Ann, Elizabeth. Executors, John Buchanan and Joseph Culton, Gent. (desiring Col. Patton to assist if he will grant me the favor). Teste: Jno. Buchanan, Wm. Adair, Francis McCown, Thos. Beard. Proved, 20th August, 1746, by all except Beard. Wm. and Alex. Sayers qualify executors 20th August, 1746, with sureties John Buchanan and John Hays.
- Page 159.--21st August, 1746. Samuel McCutchen and Francis, his wife to James Shields, cordwinder, £18.5.0; 298-1/2 acres, part of 600 acres on Moffetts Creek bought from Borden; corner to Nathan Lusk, adjoining patent line of Beverley Manor. Witnesses, William Adair, Rob. Graham, James Trimble. Frances ( ) McCouchen. Acknowledged by both, 21st August, 1746.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER, 1747. - John Carmichael vs. John Wilson.--Debt on bond by defendant to Mary Anne Campbell, dated 25th March, 1746. Witnesses, John Hays and Wm. Adair. Assigned to plaintiff last day of March, 1747. Morgan Camell.
- Page 250.--19th May, 1758. John Wilson's account, by Ann Wilson, administratrix--Paid Edward McColgan, Edward Tar, Samuel Buchanan, John Jones, Wm. Adair.
- Page 328.--20th September, 1758. Vendue of John Snodgrass' estate, by Agnes Patton--To David Edmund, Wm. Parris, Robt. McRandolph, John Wardlaw, Wm. Adair, Peter Angel. Paid to John Mountgomery, Edmond Tarr, James Henry, Jno. Rosamond, Patrick Hays, James McCown, Andrew Steel.
- Baptism Record for Sarah Adair, in Old Parish Records, Kirkmaiden by Drummore, Scotland.