Walter Smiley, of Rockbridge County, VA
Facts and Events
Walter Smiley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from "A History of Rockbridge County, Virginia":
- 1775 - Walter Smiley "Jr." acquired 211 acres in "forks of Hays Creek". [Source: "History of Rockbridge County, Virginia", Morton, pg. 349].
Processioning List of 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 450.--1767-68: Processioned by John Pall, John Lyle: For John Keys, John Parks, Robert Caruthers, Roger Keys, Jno. Paul, John Hays, Thomas Willson, David Williamson, Jno. Boid, Thomas Boid, Walter Smiley, Jno. Clemans, James McClung, Wm. Alexander, John Lusk, James Ritchey, Jno. Sloan, Joseph Alexander.
Records of Walter Smiley in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- AUGUST 19, 1767. - (230) Overseers of roads appointed: Thos. Hicklin, Jr., vice John Estill; John Dailey, from North to South River; Walter Smiley, vice Wm. Kennedy.
- 22 March 1768, p. 127. [Grand Jury Presentments] - The King Against Walter Smiley, On a Presentment of the Grand Jury for not keeping the road whereof he is Overseer in repair According to Law. The Attorney for our Lord the King saith that he will not further Prosecute of and upon the Premises It is therefore Ordered that this suit Against him be Discontinued. [Augusta County Road Orders].
- Vol. 2 - Rockbridge Marriages - 1796 -- June 2d, Hugh Rhea and Rebecca Smiley. (Note: sources have Rebecca as the daughter of Walter Smiley).
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1800--June 28, Archibald Smiley, of Rockbridge County, and James Buchanan, Jr., of Augusta, surety. Archibald Smiley and Mary Hannah, daughter of Robert Hannah. Walter Smiley consents for his son Archibald. Teste: James Buchanan, Evan Evans.
- Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Records
- ↑ FamilySearch: Unidentified database - please replace source when identified.
Help fund new features!