Facts and Events
||Mentioned (but not named) in father's will
||not included in mother's will
When William Varney died in 1654, his probate records listed three sons and one daughter, names not given; the oldest son presumably already of or near legal age. This would give an estimated birth date of about 1633. When Bridget Varney died on 25 Oct 1672, her will mentioned two sons (Thomas and Humphrey Varney) and one daughter (Rachel Vinson). The Family Search Ancestral File lists two possible sons, a William and a Walter, but without documentation. The most recent published account of William Varney and his family neither mentions nor suggests any other children. Another possibility is the John, son of William Varney, who was baptized in 6 October 1634 in New Windsor, Berkshire, England. This seems a bit late for an estimated birth in about 1633. Unfortunately, very few records exist for the early years, including years in which possible siblings of John might be found, so that it is impossible to say that this John is the son of the William and Bridget who came to Massachusetts around 1649.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Babson, John J. History of the town of Gloucester, Cape Ann: including the town of Rockport. (Gloucester Mass.: Procter Bros., 1860), Secondary quality.
- ↑ Barber, Kathleen Canney, and Janet Ireland Delorey. William Varney of Ipswich and Gloucester, Massachusetts. The American Genealogist. (Jul 2006), Secondary quality.
- ↑ Baptisms, in Church of England. Parish Church of New Windsor (Berkshire). Bishop's transcripts, 1612-1836. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1986), Apr 1634-Oct 1634, Secondary quality.
There are no Baptisms for 1629-April 1631, April 1632-April 1634, October 1634-1670
Baptisms for April 1634 through 6 October 1634 inc.
John, son to William Varney on 6 October 1634
- ↑ Ancestral File, AFN FHW5-CT , Questionable quality.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Massachusetts, Probate Court (Essex County). The Probate Records of Essex County, Massachusetts. (Salem, Massachusetts: The Essex Institute, 1916, 1917, 1920), Vol. 1, p. 173; FHL #1033717, Secondary quality.
Estate of William Varney of Ipswich
Administration on the estate of William Varney, intestate, granted Mar. 28, 1654, to his widow, Bridgett Varney, He left three sons and one daughter. Ordered that the eldest son have 8li. within three months, and the other children 4li. each at the age of twenty-one. (Source: Ipswich Quarterly Court Records, vol. 1, page 45)
- ↑ Massachusetts (Colony). Quarterly Courts (Essex County). Records and files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts. (Salem, Massachusetts: The Essex Institute, 1911-1925, 1975), Vol. 5, p. 119, Secondary quality.