Tunis Van Pelt, of Linville Creek
Facts and Events
Tunis Van Pelt was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Land Grant Surveys in Virginia:
- Page 12 - Tunis Vanpelt, 8 acres, Dry Branch of Linvils Creek. Adjoining John Crow, Robison, April 26, 1780. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 100].
Processioning List of 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 446.--1767-68: Processioned by Joseph Skidmore, Geo. Dice, Henry Banener, viz: For Samuel Morrels, present Wm. Eaverman; for John Skidmore, present Valentine Cassel and Jacob Conrad; for Geo. Caplinger, present Jacob Harper and Jno. Caplinger; for Valentine Giles, deceased, present Geo. Giles; for Peter Flesher, for Henry Banener, for Woolrey Conrad, for George Dice. Processioned by Cornelius Ruddle, David Robeson: For Thomas Bryan, for John Linkhorn, for Robert Belshee, for Wm. Dunlap, for John Miller, for Wm. Pickens; for Mathias Leer, Jos. Leer present; for Tunish Vanpeter [sic], for Abraham Miller, for George Speare, for Skid Muncy's land, for Cornelius Ruddle, for Thomas Moore, for David Robinson. Processioned by John Coutts and John Miller, viz: For John Miller, for John Fudge, for John Munge (Conrad Fudge present), for Geo. Hufman, for Geo. Gunrod, for Henry Dick, for Peter Brunemer, for Henry Lung, for Francis Kirtley, for Christopher Cisling, for Boston Nester, for Jerod Peterfish, for Stephen Hanceberry, for John Sellers, for Jacob Runkle, for Nicholas Null, for Charles Fie, for Daniel Link, for Daniel Price, for David McComis, for John Burk, for Mathias Cersh, for Jacob Hammer
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - VARIOUS OLD PAPERS--1760--1770. - Petition for road from Adam Reader's Mines to Isaac Robertson's, from thence to Widow Wright's Mill; thence to Thomas Harrison's in the Great Road to the Court House, 2d January, 1761. Thomas Pickins, Isaac Robertson, James Wright, Tunes Van Pelt, John Chrisman, Lydia Wright, William Munsey, Robert Bellshe, Jacob Gum, Jacob Gum, Jr., John White, Leonard Herring, John Black, Thomas Harrison, William Dunlop, Robert Kearr, Alexander Painter, Jacob Miller, Scidmore Munsey, William Pickins, John Jackson, David Robertson, Henry Mase, James Thomas.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY, 1763 (A). - Tunis van Pelt vs. Samuel Hutton.--Defendant lives with his brother, James Hutton, in the Forks.
- Page 224.--17th February, 1763. Daniel Smith (on behalf of Margaret Van Pelt's) bond, (with Francis McBride) as administrator of Peter Bowman.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 17, 1763. - (462) Margaret Van Pelt qualified admx. of her late decd. husband, Peter Bowman.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1764 (B). - Bowman vs. Bird.--Cornelius Bowman, father of George and Peter Bowman. Peter Bowman's widow, Margaret, married Van Pelt.
- Vol. 2 - Daniel Smith's Delinquents and Supernumeraries for 1773: Martin Crawford, Jacob Keil, Jacob Miller, poor body; James Randolph, Martin Smith, James Stuart, John Coffison, John David, twice returned; John Paris, twice returned; Elijah Garton, William Hawkins, John Higgins, Edmund Harris, Benj. Kindley, John Logan, John McClure, John Trotter, Jr., Bethuel Kerse, Henry Luther, Sam'l Munsey, Skidmore Munsey, Michael Morris, George Morris, Jacob Mocks, Andrew McFerson, Mathias Rader, twice returned; Henry Runyan, Abraham Rozaman, Thomas Cleyton, Jno. Rice, Benj. Robinet, John Clark, Jno. Sutter, Jno. Davis, Robt. Smith, Wm. Matticks, Peter Cephas, George Silas, Peter Shuck, Aaron Vinsky, Jno. Wamsley, Thos. Dooley, Edward Ferrel, Troy Joseph, Benj. Wheaton, Phillip Wingot, Jacob Yarlos, John Crawney, John Waid, twice returned; John Briggs, Henry Gragg, Dennis Cohoson, John Cain, Wm. Crueshorns, Wm. Coler, Abraham Compton, Morris Custard, John Cummins, Elias Hawkins, Morris Runyan, Peter Sircle, Valentine Sevear, James Marshell, Constable; Tunis Van Pelt, twice returned; Timothy Waran, Jacob Booser, Thomas Borer Jeremiah Burns, Zachariah Bryan, Jacob Christes, Peter Vaughan, James Cunningham (blind), Charles Ramsey, Jno. Sleath, Wm. Crow, Wm. Smith, Jno. Faires, Jno. Sriver, David Hutson, Jno. Lambert, Jr., Jno. Lambert, Barnet Moise, Jonathan Watts, Francis McBride, twice returned.
- Land Grant Survey: Page 66 - Peter Vanpelt, 100 acres, Linvils Creek. Adjoining Tunis Vanpelt', John Ewin, Mesicks. April 6, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 120].
- ↑ Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
- ↑ http://genforum.genealogy.com/vanpelt/messages/503.html
Help fund new features!