Facts and Events
- ↑ New York City, New York, United States. Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949.
Name: Thomas Taber
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 12 Oct 1834
Event Place: Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Marital Status: Unknown
Birth Year (Estimated): 1834
Birthplace: New York
Reference ID: Vol. 9 , GS Film Number: 447548
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Transcription of Death Record; "12 Oct 1834, Taber, Thomas, Laurence Street, 5 months 10 days, Hooping Cough, Trinity, Edward Beatty" Source: City of N.Y. Municipal Archives, Deaths 1833-1834, Vol. 9: "Laurence Street could have been a misspelling of "Laurens Street," which is now named West Broadway and extends north from Canal Street. It is in the neighborhood of known Taber addresses. Trinity Church Registers: "Name: Taber, Thomas, Date: 10/12/1834, Church Reported: St. John's Burying Ground, Age: 7 months, Disease: cholera infantum, Gravesite: St. John's Burying Ground" http://registers.trinitywallstreet.org/files/history/registers/display_detail.php?id=23749&sacr=burial: St John's Burying Ground, also called Trinity Cemetery, was located at Hudson, Leroy, Clarkson, and Carmine Streets, across the street from the Taber Family residence on Carmine Street. https://nycemetery.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/st-johns-cemetery/ Although the address of this death does not coincide with the address for Thomas Taber, Jr., father, at 216 Sixth Ave., listed in the 1833-34 street directory, this address could have been a previous one. Thomas Taber, Jr., jeweler, first appears in the street directory in 1833-34, thus his address in 1832-33 is not known. In the alternative, the 216 Sixth Ave. address could have been a shop only, while the family lived elsewhere, or, the infant, Thomas could have been housed away from the family while ill with cholera. Trinity Church is an Anglican Church. It had a chapel, associated with St. John's Burying Ground, St. John's Chapel at 46 Varick Street. It is possible that Thomas Taber, Jr. joined this Anglican Church when he first came to America.
- ↑ Laurens Street, 1830
- ↑ Official Trinity Church Transcription
- ↑ St. John's Burying Ground
- ↑ St. John's Chapel, 1829