- H. Thomas Shields1699 - Aft 1774
- W. Alice (add)
Facts and Events
Thomas Shields was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Thomas Shields' land (Beverley Manor SW, 202 acres, 1749) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 212.--5th April, 1749. Wm. Beverley to Thomas Shields, 202 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner Wm. Robinson and Col. James Patton's mill place. Place surveyed for Maj. Brooks. Francis Beaty's line. Corner John Cowan.
- Page 279.--19th March, 1760. John Campbell, yeoman, to Thomas Sheals, yeoman, £33, 270 acres in Beverley Manor; corner Patrick Campbell in Wm. Thompson's line; Charles Campbell's line. Delivered: Shields, August, 1761.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 85.--21st March, 1759. Thos. Shields to Robt. Douglass, £19, 129 acres on Pine Run on south side Beverley Manor; line of Charles Campbell; line of James Robinson. Teste: Hugh McClure, Andrew McClure, Thos. Shields.
- Page 30.--17th November, 1761. Thomas Shields and Alice to Mathew Thomson, 131 [of], 202 acres in Beverley Manor; cor. Thos. Blackwood and Robert Armstong; cor. said Blackwood and Jno. Hunter; cor. Andrew Alexander's land; cor. Wm. Dean; Dean's cor. in Robert Armstong's line. Delivered: Mathew Thomson, November, 1766.
Records of Thomas Shields in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 346.--18th August, 1747. Francis Beaty to Andrew Alexaner, £25 current money Virginia; 158 acres in Beverley Manor; corner to Robert Wilson's land; corner to Thomas Shield's land; Thomas Brown's line Teste: John Maxwell, James Hamilton, Michael Dickey. Acknowledged by Francis, 19th August, 1747, and wife Martha releases dower.
- Page 95.--15th February, 1748. Robert Allison to Joseph Paxton; James River; the Narrows on No. Branch of James. Teste: Thomas Sheals, Robert Alexander.
- Page 207.--5th April, 1749. William Beverley to John Cowan, 202 acres in Beverley Manor. Thomas Shield's corner in Co. Co., James Patton's line, Francis Beaty's line, Robert Christian's line. Teste: John Wilson.
- Page 330.--13th October, 1749. William Beverley to John Shields, 225 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner Thomas Brown, John Cowan's line. Corner Robert Christian. Corner Moffett's land. Teste: Thomas Shields, John Cowan, Samuel Brawford. (Note: John Shields was the brother of this Thomas Shields).
- Page 333.--13th October, 1749. William Beverley to Robert McCorkal, 269 acres in Beverley Manor. Branch of Christy's Creek known as Nutt's Mill Creek. James Caldwell's line. Teste: Thomas Sheels. Delivered to James McCorkle, 6th May, 1752.
- Page 348.--29th November, 1749. William Robinson to John Robinson, 188 acres on Christian's Creek, John Wilson's line. Corner Thomas Shields; corner Col. James Patton.
- Page 148.--26th February, 1750-51. John Cowan, yeoman, to Saml. Lusk, farmer, 202 acres; Thomas Shield's corner in Col. Patton's line; Andrew Alexander's line; corner Robert Christian, Jennet, wife of John. Teste: Edward Erwin, Hugh Campbell, George Anderson.
- Page 477.--27th August, 1751. William Robinson to Thomas Blackwood, 215 acres, Christian's Creek in Beverley Manor, by Beverley to Wm., 4th September, 1741; corner Wm. Kerr; Thomas Shield's line; William Wright's line; John Willson's line. Teste: Chas. Dalhouse, Jno. Christian.
- Page 450.--20th November, 1754. Samuel Lusk, farmer, and Agness, to Alexander Thompson, taylor, £55.10.0, 202 acres in Beverley Manor; Thomas Shields' corner in James Patten's line; Andrew Alexander's line, corner Rob. Christian. Delivered to Mat. Thompson, May 1761.
- Page 141.--4th August, 1755. John Glass' appraisement by James Caldwell, Andrew Alexander, John Shields. John Glass' estate due to Patrick Kenan, Thomas Shields, Robert Moody, Wm. Long, Jas. Moody, Jno. Bigam. Samuel Downy, Thos. Brown, Jas. McLong, Arthur Hamilton, Wm. Karr.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1757 (C). - Christian vs. Thomas Shields.--Same as above (because Thomas Shields refused to answer call to go out vs. French and Indians, 1756).
- Page 371.--__ day _____, 1760. John Hunter to Robt. Hunter, £__, 255 acres on Christian's Creek; corner Thos. Shields, Sayer's land; corner Robt. Wilson; Alexander's corner. Teste: James Logan. Delivered: Jno. Hunter, November, 1764.
- Page 727.--19th November, 1764. Robert ( ) Hunter, late of Augusta County, to William Doherty, £87.10, 255 acres on Christian's Creek: corner Thomas Shields' land; line of Sawyers' land: corner Robert William's land, Alexander's line. Teste: John Hunter. John ( ) Shield, Sr., Jno. Shields. Jr. Delivered: Wm. Dougherty, August, 1766.
- Page 369.--24th May, 1770. Robert Mitchell to Thomas Shields, 1 horse branded, 1 Dand Flower of de luce, cattle, furniture and crops. Teste: Wm. Thompson, Patt. Campbell. Delivered: Thos. Shields, 27th March, 1772.
- Page 176--23d January, 1772. John Shield's will, freeholder--To wife Margaret; to son, John; to son, William; to son, Thomas; to son, Robert; to daughter Mary: "I ordain Thomas Shields and my son William Shields and Wm Hays my sole executors." Teste: John Shields, William Shields, Wm Shields, Wm. Hays. 24th January, 1772--Codicil: To son, William, 1/2 of the tract whereon son John lives. Proved, 16th November, 1773, by John and William Shields. William Shields refuses to qualify, 17th November, 1773--Administration granted Margaret and Thomas Shields, who qualify with Mathew Thompson, William Shields. (Note: John Shields was the brother of this Thomas Shields).
- Page 199 15th March, 1774.-- Recorded. Appraisement of John Shield's estate by Robert Christian, Robt. Wilson, Mathew Thompson, Thos. Shields.
- Page 3.--17th February, 1778 (March?). Recorded. John Hays' appraisement by Robert Wilson, Wm. Thompson, Thomas Shields, James Cowan.
- Page 169.--Tract whereon Thomas Shields now lives in Beverley Manor Delivered: John Shields, October, 1780.