Thomas Shanklin, of Muddy Creek
Facts and Events
Thomas Shanklin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 831.--18th August, 1750. James Wood, Gent., of Frederick, to Thos. Shankland, North Mountain, 400 acres on Muddy Creek, patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: Thos. Storey, David Ne(e)lson, Jno. Hopes, Thos. Wood.
- Page 486.--__ ____, 1753. James Wood, gent., of Frederick, to Thomas Shankland, 400 acres on Muddy Creek granted to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: John Harrison, Walter Patterson, Wm. Russell, Joseph Rutherford.
- Page 218.--21st November, 1759. Aaron Oliver, late of Augusta County, and Elizabeth ( ), to Thomas Shankland, £31.10.0, 196 acres on Mudd Creek below James Wood's land. Teste: Robert Shanklin, Richard Shanklin, Jno. Davidson.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 208.--18th February, 1760. Thomas ( ) Shanklin and Eleanor ( ) to John Shanklin, their son, £10, 220 acres on a branch of Muddy Creek, a branch of North River of Shanandoe, part of 400 acres where Thomas now lives; cor. Green's land. Teste: Robert Shanklin, William ( ) Pickens. Delivered: Thomas Shanklin, 27th August, 1763.
- Page 357.--17th September, 1763. Thomas ( ) Shanklin, Sr., to Thomas Shanklin, Jr., his son, £20, two tracts, one containing 100 acres, 80 acres of which is part of 400 patented to James Wood, 12th January, 1746, on branch of Muddy Creek; corner John Shanklin's land; the other tract containing 80 acres patented to Thomas Shanklin, Sr., June, 1755, on branches of Muddy Creek; O'Neal's land, John Fulton's line. Delivered: Thomas Shanklin, 30th August, 1790.
Will of Thomas Shanklin
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 301.--15th April, 1774. Thomas Shankland's (his mark) will, farmer--To wife, Eleanor, tract adjoining Thomas Gordon; to grandchildren, viz: Of son Robert's children, viz: Thomas, William, Robert, son John, son _____; son Thomas' son Thomas; to oldest son, Robert. Executors, sons Robert and John. Teste: William and Archibald Hopkins, George Baxter. Proved, 17th January, 1775, by Archd. Hopkins and Baxter. Executors qualify with Archd. Hopkins, Geo. Baxter.
- Page 384.--1st February, 1775. Thomas Shanklin's estate appraised by Ephraim Love, John Hopkins, Jesse Harrison.
- Page 29.--13th October, 1787. Settlement of Thomas Shanklin's estate by John Shanklin, accounts in 1774, and by Robert Shanklin, accounts in 1786. 1774, paid John Fairbern; 1786, paid Elizabeth Shanklin, executrix of John Shanklin, deceased. Commissioners report there is a balance in hands of George Baxter, Thos. Shanklin, and Elizabeth Shanklin (widow), and of Robert Shanklin; all these persons are reported as executors by Andrew Shanklin, who acts for his father, Robert Shanklin.
- Page 51.--Thomas Shanklin's estate to John Shanklin, executor. Dr. 1775, to James McVay for making coffin.
Processioning Lists of 1755 & 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 150.--1755: Thos. Moore and David Robson processioned as follows, viz: For Adam Reader, present Arnold Custard, Alex. Painter; for Adam Burd; for Nicholas Cane, present his son, Daniel Cane; for John Miller; for Wm. Pickins; for Jno. Porting; for Wm. Caslberry; for Wm. Hopkins, present Thos. Shanklin; for Francis Green; for Thomas Gordon; for James Beggs, present Uriah Humble; for Jacob Bare; for Jacob Trumbo, present Amrode Lamb; for Rees Thomas, present Jno. Thomas; for John Bare; for Thomas Moore, present Francis Hieghl; for David Robson.
- Vol. 2 - Page 295.--1760: Processioned by John Hopkins, David Ralston, in Capt. Ephraim Love's Company: For Thomas Gordon, for Francis Green, for Jeremiah Harrison, for Daniel Love, for Daniel Callkin, for Robert Cravens, for Thos. Harrison, for Ephraim Love, for Widow Johnston, for Alex. Herring, for Edward Shankling, for Widow Logan, for William Logan, for John Cravens, for Widow McDonel, for Joseph Cravens, for Wm. Hopkins, for John Hopkins, for Thomas Shankling, for Alex. Miller, for Mathew Black, for Thos. Campbell, for Daniel Harrison, for Daniel Harrison, Jr., for Samuel Harrison, for Robert Harrison, for Pat. Guin, for Wm. Snoding, for John Fowler, for David Nelson, for Samuel Briges, for John McGill, for Christopher Thompson, for John Wright, for Archibald Hopkins.
Records of Thomas Shanklin in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 16.--5th October, 1751. John Lynn to Robert Shanklin, 320 acres on No. River Shanandoe, joining Robert Scott, Stony Lick Br. Teste: Thomas Shanklin, Robert Hook, Thos. Shanklin, Jno. Stephenson.
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754 (Part 1). - Inhabitants of North Mountain, at head of Muddy Creek, petition for road from Ephraim Love's to the road from South Branch to Swift Run Gap: Ephraim Love, John Herdman, Jeremiah Hanason, Aaron Oliver, Thomas Campbell, Robert Pattison, John Slaven, Patrick Black, Robert Rallstone, John Negarry, Tomes Shanklin, John Taler, Daniel Harrison, John Foolton, Jesse Harrison, Patrick Cain.
- Page 91.--10th April, 1755. Jacob Green, farmer, and Sarah ( ) Green to Thomas Gorden, farmer, £22, 165 acres on head springs of Linwell's Mill Cerek. Teste: Ephraim Love, Thomas Shanklan, Isaiah Shipman. "Sent by P. Grant, August, 1760."
- Page 155.--15th August, 1759. Jacob Gillespy ( ) and Hannah ( ) to Jacob and Christian Rollman, £30, 280 acres on a branch of Beaver Creek called Howell's Branch; corner to land formerly belonging to Henry Smith. Teste: Thos. ( ) Shankland. Delivered: Jno. Shankland, May, 1762.
- Vol. 2 - 1766--Supernumeraries: Thos. Shanklin, 1; John Deniston, 2; James Bruister, 1; Perunia Regen, 1; John Taylor, 1; Chas. Powers, 1; Aaron Hughs, 1; Martin Shoemaker, 1; Thomas Gordon, 2; John Barley, 1; Philip Crites, 1; Geo. Conrod, 1; John Shanklin, 1; Adam Raeburn, 1; James Crawford, 1; Mich'l Shorley, 1; John Black, 1; Joel Robinson, 1; Thos. Frames, 1; Mich'l Mildeberger, 1; Thos. Hutcheson, 1; Ephraim Love, 3; Mark Rigs, 1; Charles Parsons, 1; Andrew Bushong, 1; David Keal, 1; Francis Hughes, 1; Henry Shoemaker, 1; John Stalp, 1; Sam Nicholas, 1; Wm. Lewis, 1; Jno. Slavin, 1; Boslin Nosier, 1; John Hopkins, 2; James Bell, 2; Geo. Shoemaker, 1; Geo. Jordan, 1; Adam Kelvie, 1; Edw'd Beard, 2; John Stephenson, 5; Petter Assomsis, 1.
- Page 118 - Land Survey for John Gordon, 318 acres, Muddy Creek. Adjoining Thomas Shanklin, Archibald Hopkins, James Woods, and his own land. November 25, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 43].
Help fund new features!