Facts and Events
Thomas Hanna was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Survey
- Survey 85 acres of land in Rockingham Co. Va. For Thomas Hannah, assignee of Casper Mifford, assignee of Robert Pollard, exchange warrant for 400 acres of land, N520, dated 29 May 1783, and bounded as follows: Beginning at a chestnut, corner of Henry Mace’s line and 396 poles west and --- in Henry Mace’s line and 66 poles to a branch west and --- in Henry Mace’s line and 66 poles to a branch of Dry Run and back to Henry Mace’s corner (Thomas Hannah was Casper Mifford’s son-in-law. He married Magdalene Mefford.)
- [Citation: Robinson, Marguerite E., "The Mefferds and their Kin", pg. 22].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond: 1787--January 8, John Mifford and Jacob Lemon, surety. John Mefford and Mary Lemon, daughter of George Lemon (consent). Teste: John Cofman, Thos. Hannah. John is son of Gasper Mefford (consent).
- Vol. 2 - 1796 (A to M). - Casper Mefford vs. Mathias Amon, Mathias Dout, Adam Bowlas, Jacob Kronck, Jacob Scott, Robert Mallory, Jacob Whitmore, James Beard, Martin Whitmer, Jacob Willberger, John Willberger, Adam Howe, Joseph Sevely, Daniel Williams, Joseph Long, John Kiblinger, Mathias Willberger, Michael Earmin, John Wideck, John Slasher, Peter Hoe, Jacob Koe, Valentine Softly, John Baker--Petition for road in Rockingham, 1793, from Mathias Amon's Mills crossing, North River, at Coal's Ford, near Jacob Scott's, thence to Rockfish Road, near Peter Kiblinger's. John Carthrae, John Kiblinger, William Trorabaugh, Alexander Fisher, affidavit viewers. Road passes through lands of Mathias Ockeltree, Thomas Hannah, John Baker, Casper Mefford, Jacob Scott, James Beard, Samuel Baker, Valentine Softly.
- Vol. 2 - Page 114--Thomas Hannah's heirs vs. Henry V. Bingham--John Shiflet deposes, 1815, the ford on South River was called Thompson's Ford 50 years ago. Jacob Scott deposes, at his home in Rockingham, he is 70 years old. When he was 20 years old he recalls that his half-brother lived then in a cabin on land now owned by Jno. Mohler on South River, near a cave then called Hannah's Cave, since known as Madison's Cave; present saltpeter works on the land; Mathias Amond lived near the ford; James Lamb and his son, James Lamb. The cave was also called Weyer's or Amond's Cave. Alexr. Hannah deposes, in Augusta, 1814, is 70 years of age; he was 14 years old when his father moved to the plantation where heirs of Thos. Hannah now live; Alexr. was son of Joseph; the Hannah's got Ocher out of the Cave; there was a schoolhouse near the mouth of the cave. Patent, 30th July, 1742, to Alexr. Thompson, 400 acres on South River above the Red Banks. Deed, 9th February, 1745, Thompson to Alexr. Downs of Orange, 300 acres part of above 400 acres. Deed, 18th February, 1746. Thompson to Wm. Beard, tract called Cave Bottom, 100 acres. Deed, 15th July, 1753, by Beard to Robert Frazer, conveys above. Deed, Henry Downs to Joseph Hannah, 5th October, 1758, 300 acres. Deed, 3d July, 1771, by Robert Frazier to Benj. Yearby (Yearly), 100 acres. Patent, 20th July, 1787, to Benj. Yearby (Yearly), 454 acres on South River, opposite Benjamin's other land. Deed, 21st October, 1788, by Benj Yearby to Mathias Amond, 1,180 acres on South River. Recorded in Rockingham. Will of Joseph Hannah, 27th July, 1789, of Rockingham. Sons, Thomas, Alexr., Joseph, David; daughters, Rosana, Mary Boon, Jane Olden; wife, Anna. Recorded in Rockingham, 28th September, 1789. Deed, 22d February, 1796, by Rosana Ocheltree to Mathias Amond, 10-1/4 acres in Rockingham on South River. Recorded in Rockingham, 1796. Deed, 26th September, 1808, by James Lamme and Elizabeth to Wm. Lamme, 90 acres, partly in Augusta and partly in Rockingham, at mouth of Middle River; 40 acres is part of 363 acres conveyed by Wm. Lamme, Sr., to said James and Samuel Lamme, 17th November, 1773; 50 acres were conveyed by Chas. Fox and Rosana to said James, 26th April, 1802. Wife, Magdaline; sons, William, Thomas, Joseph, John; daughters, Magdaline, Caty, Margaret, Mefford, Mary. Dated 6th December, 1808. Recorded in Rockingham. Deed, 9th December, 1809, Mathias Amond of Rockingham to Henry V. Bingham, 1,180 acres on South River. Recorded in Rockingham. Deed, 9th December, 1809, by same to same, 10-1/4 acres in Rockingham. Recorded in Rockingham.
- Vol. 2 - Austin vs. Carthrae--O. S. 262; N. S. 92--Orator is Richard Austin of Rockingham. On 28th November, 1805, Casper, alias Gasper Mifford, made his will in Rockingham and died, leaving a widow called Mary and children, viz: George, Ben, Cate (wife of Jacob Kile), John, Casper and Leancy, alias Magdalene, widow of Thos. Hana. Mary, the widow, died April, 1816, testate. John Mefford had a son George. George Mefford had a son George. Patent, 31st July, 1800, to Casper Mifford, 41 acres in Rockingham. Patent, 5th April, 1749, to Joshua Hickman for 100 acres on North River of Shenando. On April 6, 1816, George and Benj. Meffert, Catherine Kile and George Meffert, son of John Meffert, are non-residents of Virginia. Deed, 16th January, 1815, by Magdalena Hanah, daughter of Gasper Mefford and widow of late Thomas Hana, to Richard Austin of Rockingham, all her interest in her father's estate. Will of Gasper Mefford dated 28th November, 1805. Wife, Mary; son, Benjamin; daughters, Leoney, Caty Ryle; son John's son, George. Recorded in Rockingham, December, 1805. Deed, 24th August, 1778, by Henry Reburn and Jane of Rockingham to Casper Meffort of Rockingham, 100 acres on North River of Shennandoe below the Fork where Reburn now lives, granted to Joshua Hickman, 5th April, 1748, and conveyed to Henry by George Crawford, 18th November, 1760. Letter addressed to Ensign George Eskridge, Staunton: Dear Sir: Winchester, 28th April, 1813. Congratulations upon appointment and acceptance. Signed by Thomas Parker, Colo., 12th Infantry. Thos. Hannah, aged 28, deposes, in Rockingham, 2d June, 1817, is grandson of Gasper Mefford. (Note: the Thomas Hannah (age 28) appears to be the son of this Thomas Hannah).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robinson, Marguerite E. The Mefferds and their kin. (s.n., 1977), pg. 56.
Magdalene Meffert, b. May 1766, Fredericks Co. MD., d. 18 Mar. 1833, Est. Admn. and will, Rockingham Co. VA.
mar. 1785, in VA
Thomas Hannah, Sr., b. 1755, d. 1808, will pr. Rockingham Co. VA., son of Joseph Hannah.