Facts and Events
Thomas Fulton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 209.--14th November, 1768. Col. Abraham Smith and Sarrah to Thomas Fulton, £110, 200 acres patented to Gabriel Pickens, 12th May, 1759, on a branch of Bever Creek; corner Hennery Smith's land; corner Jacob Gallespy. Teste: John Grattan, Ralph Lofftus, Jese Harrison. Delivered: Ezekiel Loagan, per James Magill's order, executor of said estate, 10th July, 1806. (Note: James Magill married Thomas Fulton's sister, Jane)
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Vol. 2 - Burgess and wife vs. Magill's executors--O. S. 303; N. S. 108--Bill in May, 1818, by Samuel W. Burgess and Maria, his wife, late Maria Fulton, who died in Rockingham, 1800, testate, leaving widow Elizabeth, son James and daughter Martha. Widow married William Cockran, Sr. In February, 1802, Martha died, leaving oratrix an infant, only issue. In June, 1816, Maria was 14 years old. Will of Thomas Fulton of Rockingham. Wife, Elizabeth; daughter, Martha; son, James; legatee, Eloner Harris (sister?); sister, Elizabeth Fulton. Dated 14th February, 1800. Recorded in Rockingham, April, 1800.
7. Thomas Fulton married Elizabeth; died testate, 1800. James Magill (14) , executor; bond set at 2000 pounds. Widow married William Cockran, Sr. on 31 December 1801. In his will, Thomas Fulton mentions his two children, James and Martha. Other legatees in his will were Eloner Harris (sister?) and Elizabeth Fulton, sister.
19. i. James Fulton(15) , born circa 1791, married Mary Hottel (16) , 5 November 1812.(17)
20. ii. Martha Fulton. Martha Fulton died before 8 February 1802, intestate; William Cockran, adm; bond set at 1000 pounds. On 17 February 1802, William Cockoran(18) , was named guardian of Maria Fulton, orphan of Martha Fulton (19) .
James Fulton's death record was located in Rockingham Co., Va. He died April 4, 1855, of rheumatism at the age of 64 yrs 1 mo. His father's name was Thomas and his mother's name was Elizabeth
Help fund new features!