Facts and Events
Thomas Fulton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 60.--16th May, 1760. Alex. Wright, merchant in Fredericksburg, to Thomas Fulton, of Staunton, £200; lots 8 and 9 in Staunton. also lots 6 and 7 of woodland. Livery by key of door. Delivered: Thomas Fulton, 29th January, 1762.
- Page 62.--16th June, 1760. Same to same (Alex. Wright, merchant in Fredericksburg, to Thomas Fulton, of Staunton), £100, lote 14, 15, 20 and 21, conveyed to grantor by Wm. Beverley, 1755. Livery by one fence rail. Executed and delivered, 29th January, 1762.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 231.--24th June, 1763. Relinquishment of dower by Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Fulton, in land conveyed by Thomas to William Preston and Robt. Bratton, 24th June, 1763.
- Page 231.--24th June, 1763. Thomas Fulton to Robt. Bratton and Wm. Preston, £26, household furniture, &c. Teste: Preston and Robt. Bratton. (Note: immediately follows record above)
- Page 343.--24th June, 1763. Thomas Fulton and Elisabeth to William Preston and Robert Bratton, £200, lots 8, 15 and 21 in Staunton, and two lots of woodland, Nos. 6 and 7, 50 acres each, all conveyed to Thomas by Alex. Wright, 1760.
- Page 421.--22d September, 1763. Thomas Fulton and Elisabeth to William Galloway, 165, 115 acres on west side Jackson's River, beginning about 3/4 mile above mouth of Cowpasture. Delivered: William Galloway. September, 1765.
- Page 429.--23d September, 1763. Thomas Fulton and Elisabeth to Rosannah Maus, £50, Vz acre, lot 14 in Staunton, one of the lots conveyed to Thomas, 7th July, 1783.
- Page 430.--Return of commission for privy examination of Elisabeth, 26th September, 1763. (Note: immediately follows record above)
- Page 764.--18th June, 1764. Thomas Fulton and Elisabeth, of Staunton, to Stephen Loye, £25, lot in Staunton, leased by Beverley to Alex. Wright, 22d February, 1749, who conveyed to Thomas. Delivered: Stephen Loy, April, 1767.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 174.--21st August, 1762. Thomas Fulton to Wm. Preston and Robt. Bratton, £50, conveys one negro boy named Murray.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 20, 1763. - (33) Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Fulton. Thomas Story, garnishee, declares he has the following of Thos. Fulton's: One corner cupboard, one old bed rug and blanket, one pair iron dogs, two tubs and churn. Many attachments vs. Fulton.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER, 1763 (B). - Elizabeth Crawford vs. Stephen Loy.--Attachment, 17th April, 1763. Stephen Loy, of Frederick Town, in Maryland, to Thomas Fulton. Bond 25th March, 1762.
- Page 765.--19th November, 1764. Margret Woods and Joseph Gamble (signed Gamwell) to Archer Mathews, £10, A, 14 acres, a part of No. 9 (woodland adjoining Staunton), joining Jno. Kerf's lot; corner said Gamble's part of said lot; also B, part of lot 5 in Staunton. (Note: this is an interesting record that immediately follows Thomas and Elizabeth's deed to Stephen Loye on 18th June 1764. "Margaret Woods" was Thomas Fulton's mother, who had re-married to James Woods. Joseph Gamble listed in the above record married Thomas Fulton's sister (and Margaret Wood's daughter), Margaret Fulton).
- Page 467.--7th October, 1776. Margaret Cawley's will, of Staunton--To grandchildren, William and Margaret Fulton, children of Thomas Fulton, of Town of Camden, South Carolina, house and half lot in Staunton; to grandson, William Gamel, son of Joseph Gamel; late husband, John Cawley. Executors, Sampson Mathews and her brother, Wm. Patton. Teste: Peter Hog, James Buchanan, Samuel Bell. Proved, 21st January, 1777. Executors qualified.
Records in Camden District, SC
- 28 Aug 1772: Thomas Fulton records deed, 450 acres, Camden, SC
- 3 Feb 1775: Thomas Fulton records deed, 450 acres, Camden, SC
- 1778-1779: Thomas Fulton, Camden, SC, juror
- 1793: Thomas Fulton, deceased (per will of William Patton)
Help fund new features!