Facts and Events
Thomas Bewes was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of Thomas Bewes in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - November 19, 1746. - (131) Road ordered from Ridge dividing waters of New River from waters of So. Br. Roanoak to end in a road that leads over the Blue Ridge--James Cambell and Mark Evans, overseers. Old Mr. Robinson and his sons, Thos. Wilson and his two sons, Wm. Beus and his brother, all the Ledfords, Saml. Brown, Henry Brown, Saml. Niely, James Burk, James Bean, Francis Estham, Ephraim Voss and servants, Francis Summerfield, John Mason, Tasker and Thomas Tosh, John and Peter Dill, Uriah Evans's sons, Mathuselah Griffiths and sons, John Thomas, Peter Kender.
- Vol. 2 - 1748 - Thos. Bues, Constable.
- Page 321.—10th August, 1750. Appraisement of Saml. Brown, on Round Oak, by Ephraim Vause, Wm. Buis, Thomas Buis. 7th November, 1750. Appraisement of above on Cowpasture, by Hugh Coffey, EHcksander Mealray, Jno. Donaley.
Information on Thomas Bewes
From Ancestry.com post:
- Notes from Jerome D.Simmons: 1985
- William Buis of Virginia was a brother of Thomas Buis who also moved from Virginia to North Carolina. :William's will was probated 1763 Rowan Co.NC. Thomas' will was probated 1759 Rowan Co.NC - heirs wife Ann and brother William. William Buis appears to have been a Quaker. He was a witness to a Quaker marriage in 1761 and a witness to a Quaker will in 1760.
- William's children were: Joshua, James, John, Grizella, Susannah, Rebecca, Ann, and Thomas. William's widow remarried 2. William Simmons and 3. William Raper.
- William's daughter, Rebecca Buis married in 1773 William Dills in Guilford Co.,NC. They moved to Montgomery Co.VA in the 1780's to the area that is now in Bland Co.,VA, by 1788. Their son Peter Buse Dills m. Mary Wysor which is my line.
- Jerome D.Simmons: 1996
- William Buis born before 1725, d. 1763 Rowan Co.NC in his home which still stands on Deep Creek; his home was operated as a tavern (inn) and has a DAR historical marker at the site.
- IGI-NC- bat# 7806101 call# 1126255 sh 58 - record is a will 1763
- father: William Buise
- child: Thomas, Susannah, Grezella, Ann, Rebekah,John Buise
- Rowan Co.NC will abstracts Vol.I BookA p.12
- William Buis 1763
- wife: unnamed
- sons: John,Thomas
- daughters: Grizella, Susannah, Ann,Rebecca
- exrs: wife, William Baldwin,Isaac Benson
- Witnesses: William Gray, William Simmons, Ann Harvey
Help fund new features!