Facts and Events
Theophilus Taylor was born in 1759 in Virginia. At an early age he moved with his family to North Carolina. In January, 1779, he was living in Montgomery Co., N.C., where was drafted for three months service in the Revolution. He served under Captain Pawns and Col. Childs. He then moved to Anson Co., N.C. where he was again drafted for an 18 month tour under Capt. Theophilus webb and Col. Lacey. Following his second discharge, he returned to Anson Co. and lived there for about five years. In 1786, approx., he moved to Cheraw Districe (Chesterfield Co., S.C.) and lived there for 18 years, where he raised his family. The family moved to Franklin Co., Ga. around 1805, where they purchased land from Jeremiah and Leah Taylor on the North Fork of the Broad River. Theophilus and his wife lived on the property until their deaths. Theophilus served as 1st. Lt. in the local militia from 1825 until 1829. On June 5, 1845, Theophilus Taylor deeded the land on which he lived to (blind) Stephen Taylor of Haversham Co., Ga., and Henry F.L. Taylor of Dekalb Co., Al for natural love and affection of his grandsons.