m. 5 Sep 1805
- Tarkington S. Lower1830 - 1919
Facts and Events
||Tarkington S. Lower
||Tarkenton S. Lower
||Tark S. Lower
||29 Jul 1830
||Rush, Indiana, United States
||24 Jan 1856
||Monroe, Iowa, United States(his 1st wife)
to Mary Margaret Smith
||4 Sep 1911
||Monroe, Iowa, United States(his 2nd wife, her 2nd husband; no issue)
to Mary C. Evans
||26 Nov 1919
||Monroe, Iowa, United States
||Oakview Cemetery, Albia, Monroe, Iowa, United StatesHatton's 2nd addition, Lot 200
Monroe County, Iowa, 1860 census:S3
- Lower, Tarkington 29 yrs b. Pennsylvania Farmer (personal estate = $320)
- Mary M. wife 21 yrs b. Iowa Domestic Work
- Ella A. dau 3 yrs b. Iowa
- "Eom"[Eva?] M. son[?] 1 yr b. Iowa
[NOTE: David Rowles & William Smith are next door neighbors in 1860 census; Michael Lower & Tarkington Lower are 3 doors & 4 doors away. An important clue for this extended family group.]
Monroe County, Iowa, 1870 census:S4
- Lower, Tark S. 40 yrs b. Indiana Farmer (real estate = $14,900; personal estate = $2,660)
- Mary M. wife 31 yrs b. Indiana Keeping House
- Ella O. dau 14 yrs b. Iowa
- Eva M. dau 11 yrs b. Iowa
- Charles T. son 8 yrs b. Iowa
- Jennie dau 6 yrs b. Iowa
- William son 4 yrs b. Iowa
- Cora dau 2 yrs b. Iowa
- James son 8 mos b. Iowa
- Morris, David 19 yrs b. Missouri Farm Laborer (cannot read or write)
Monroe County, Iowa, 1880 census:S5
- Lower, Tark S. 48 yrs b. Indiana (father, b. Indiana; mother, b. ______) Farmer
- Mary M. 42 yrs b. Iowa (father, b. Iowa[?!]; mother, "don't know")
- Jennie R. 15 yrs b. Iowa
- William S. 14 yrs b. Iowa
- Cora F. 12 yrs b. Iowa
- James S. 10 yrs b. Iowa
- Nellie 4 yrs b. Iowa
- John W. 1 yr b. Iowa
Monroe County, Iowa, 1895 state census:S6
- Lower, T. S. 64 yrs b. Indiana Farmer Methodist
- Mary M. 56 yrs b. Davis Co, Iowa
- James H. 25 yrs b. Monroe Co, Iowa
- John W. 16 yrs b. Monroe Co, Iowa
Monroe County, Iowa, 1900 census:S7
- Lower, Tark S. Head 69 yrs (b. July 1830) (marr. 46 yrs) b. Indiana (parents, b. Pennsylvania & Virginia) "NG"[?]
- Mary M. Wife 61 yrs (b. Sept 1838) (9 chil, 8 liv) b. Iowa (parents, b. Indiana)
Monroe County, Iowa, 1905 state census:S8
- line 945: Tarkington S. Lower
- line 946: Mary M. Lower
Denver County, Colorado, 1910 census:S9
- Lower, Tarkington Head 79 yrs (marr. 54 yrs) b. Indiana (father, b. Virginia; mother, b. Pennsylvania) "Own Income"
- Mary M. Wife 72 yrs (9 child, 6 liv) b. Iowa (father, b. Virginia; mother, b. Kansas)
- Addie M. Gr/Dau 17 yrs b. Iowa (father, b. Iowa; mother, b. Kansas)
Monroe County, Iowa, 1915 state census:S10
- Lower, Tark. S. 84 yrs Married b. Indiana Retired Owns home ($750) 8 yrs school Methodist Father, b. Pennsylvania; mother, b. Virginia [no military service]
- ↑ Iowa, United States. Iowa 1856 state census, Troy Twp, p. 1042.
- ↑ A Memorial and Biographical Record of Iowa. (Chicago: Lewis Publishing co., 1896), p. 652-53, 1852-55.
Came to Monroe County with his parents in 1842. Reportedly went to California & Oregon during the Gold Rush.
- Monroe County, Iowa. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Troy Twp, p. 254, house/family 231/203.
- Monroe, Iowa, United States. 1870 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Troy Twp, p. 406, house/family 54/54.
- Monroe, Iowa, United States. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule, ED 139, p. 35.
- Monroe County, Iowa. 1895 Iowa State Census, Troy Twp, p. 11, house/family 69/69.
- Monroe County, Iowa. 1900 U.S. Census Population Schedule, ED 90, p. 6A, house/family 127/124.
- Monroe, Iowa, United States. 1905 Iowa State Census, INDEX ONLY.
- Denver (county), Colorado. 1910 U.S. Census Population Schedule, ED 82, p. 1A, house/family 5/2.
- Monroe County, Iowa. 1915 Iowa State Census, Albia, 4th Ward, card #737.
- Hindman, Sarah; Iowa) Monroe County Genealogical Society (Albia; Iowa) Iowa Genealogical Society (Des Moines; and Iowa) Albia Union (Albia. Albia newspaper extractions, Monroe County, Iowa : the Albia Union. (Des Moines, Iowa, United States: Iowa Genealogical Society, 1986- .), 2 Dec 1919.
Tarkington S. Lower was born in Rush County, Indiana, July 30, 1830 and came to Van Buren County, Iowa, with his family at age 14, and in the spring of 1844 came to Monroe County. He married Mary M. Smith Jan. 24, 1856 and had nine children, three deceased. His wife died Aug. 26, 1910, and he married Mary Williams, also deceased. Surviving are Mrs. W. T. Richey, Mrs. Jay Hinton, Mrs. W. R. Kimball, Lincoln, Nebraska; James H. Lower, Arvada, Colorado; and Mrs. E. W. Winslow of Colorado Springs, Colorado; 20 grandchildren, 8 great-grandchildren. He died aged 89 years, 3 months, and 26 days and was buried in Oak View Cemetery.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Grave marker, Oakview Cemetery, Albia, Monroe County, Iowa.
- ↑ Akerboom, Jack. Descendants of Hans Lauer Lower. (Morgantown, Pennsylvania: Masthof Press), 2002.