Facts and Events
Stephen Ruddle was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 218.--24th May, 1751. Archibald Ruddle to Stephen Ruddel. Patented by Fairfax, 21st July, 1749, on Holman's Creek, land surveyed for John Dobkin, 406 acres. Teste: Peter Scholl, Jno. Dobekins, Andrew Bird.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 367.--10th August, 1753. Stephen Ruddle and Mary to Philip Harper, 1753. Haldman's Creek adjoining Peter Gartner, Cap. Jno. Dobkins, 460 acres. From Fairfax to Archibald Ruddle and by him to Stephen. Delivered: Chas. Hyleton (Styleton), October. 1753. (Note: one of the above records is probably incorrect as to the number of acres of this land, either 406 or 460 acres).
Records of Stephen Ruddle in Augusta County, VA
- FEBRUARY, 1750. - Stephen Ruddle vs. Daniel Bulgier.--Daniel married Sarah James.
- Page 353.--13th November, 1753. Wm. Rutledge, of Granville County, North Carolina, to Cornelius Ruddle, 237 acres. Brock's Creek, patented to Wm. 20th August, 1745. Teste: Stephen Ruddle, Thomas Lonetally, Erwin Patterson, Isaac Ruddle. Acknowledged before Thomas Lonetally, a J. P. for Granville County.
- Page 321.---14th April, 1773. Isaac Robinson's will--Being in the Township of Whitpan in County Philadelphia. Province Pennsylvania--To wife, Hannah; to youngest son, Luke, infant, to son, James, under 24, plantation on north side Shanandore, 365 acres; to eldest daughter, Elinner Robinson; to youngest daughter, Hanna; to second daughter, Catherine. Executors, wife Hannah, friend Stephen Riddle, of Hampshire County. Teste: Jonas Supplee, Thomas Fitzwaters. 26th September, 1774--Commission to George Bryan, Geo. Clymer, Justices of Peace; Peter Miller and Lewis Weise, gentlemen of Philadelphia County, Penna., to examine above witnessss. 5th November, 1774--Commission executed and return certified by Bryan and Clymer. 11th May, 1774--Affidavit of above witnesses at Philadelphia before Benj. Chew, Reg. Gen. Both witnesses are Quakers. 16th August, 1774--This will presented by Stephen Riddle and dedimus ordered to issue as above. 21st March, 1774--Proved and recorded. Stephen Ruddle qualifies with Cornelius Ruddle, John Gratton.
information on Stephen Ruddle
Birth: About 1725 in Chester County, Pennsylvania
Death: Aug 1800 in Woodford County, Kentucky
Father: John Ruddell Sr. b. 1695 in Londonderry, North Ireland
Mother: Mary Cook b. 1698 in Christina Hundred, Maryland
Spouses & Children
Mary Bird (Wife) b. 1727 in Shenandoah County, Virginia
Marriage: 28 Oct 1752 in Rockingham County, Virginia 25 Sep 2005 12:56
Ann Ruddell b. 20 Sep 1754 in Lost River, Hampshire County, West Virgin
Help fund new features!