Facts and Events
Stephen Renfro was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Stephen Renfro's land (Beverley NE, apparently 191 acres, 1748, acquired from George Robinson) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 83.--25th May, 1748. George Robinson, gent., to Stephen Rentfrow; cor. John Buchanan. Teste: Jno. Ramsey, James Miller, Jr., Jno. Maxwell. (Note: the number of acres is not listed in this record, but it is apparently 191 acres of George Robinson's 892-acre tract, based upon the subsequent sale recorded in 1759, listed below).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 90.--12th February, 1759. Stephen ( ) Rentfro to Wm. Preston, £100, 191 acres; corner Jno. Buchanan, conveyed to Stephen by Geo. Robinson, Gent., 25th May, 1748. Teste: Jno. Dickinson, Wm. Ward, Wm. Davis, Edward McMullin, Jno. Shields, Henry Earnest. Delivered: Mr. Gilbert by your order, 3d October, 1759.
Other Renfro Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 259.--1st May, 1747. James Rentfroe, of Lunenburg County, to Archibald Graem (Gream), of Augusta, £_____ current money Virginia; 148 acres patented to _____, 28th September, 1745; near Buffalo Creek.-- James Rentfro, Esther Rentfro. Teste: Robert Mountgomery, Patrick Shirkey, James Mountgomery. Proved by first two witnesses, 21st May, 1747, and by last 18th May, 1749.
- Page 405.--17th September, 1760. Commission to Joseph Rentfrow and Turner Hunt Christian, of Bedford, to take privy execution of Alice to above. Executed, 22d September, 1760.
Records of Stephen Renfro in Augusta County, VA
- 1742 - COPIES OF MUSTERS OF AUGUSTA COUNTY. - Heare followeth a list of all the Muster (?) of Augusta County under their respective officers and Captains:
- Capt. George Robinson's List: George Robinson, Captain; James McFeron, Lieutenant; Pat. Shirky, Ensign; James Ranfro (brother of Stephen), Sergeant; Dan Manaughan, Mark Coal, Peter Ranfro (brother of Stephen), George Draper, Rob Roland, Edw. Smith, Fran Kelly, And. Ganghagall, Henry Stiles, Hen Philip, Thomas Rindel, Thomas Looney, Rob Looney, Dan Looney, Adam Looney, Mark Joans, John Askins, John Flower, James Coal, Bryan Cass, Cornel Dougherty, Wm. Acres, Tasker Tosh, Hen Brown, Sam Brown, James Burk, Wm. Bean, _____Evins, Sam Martin, Peter Kinder, Stephen Evins, Peter Watkins, Stephen Ranfro, Benj. Davis, Wm. Clark, Wm. Shepherd, Benj. Deeson, John Smith, Hugh Coruthers, Wm. Bradshay, John Coal, Wm. Craven, Simon Acres, Nicol Horseford, _____ Meason.
- Page 87.--10th August, 1748. Daniel Monahan's appraisement by James Davies and Mark Evans. (Note: ties to record below)
- Page 89.--Sale bill of above estate, 13th December, 1744, purchasers, viz: James Price, Wm. Akers, Pat Shirkey, Chas. Ewing, John Thomas, Mary Akers, Nicholas Harford, Mary Kinder, Wm. Armstrong, Wm. Carson, Archibald Grimes, Wm. Mills, James Burk, Bryan Cuff, Wm. Armstrong, Henry Brown, Daniel Creeley, Pat Shirkey, Mark Cole, George Barberer, Simon Akers, Peter Kinder, Joseph Love, Methusalem Griffith, Tobias Bright, Jno. McFall, Wm. March, Mark Cole, Jasper Terry. Henry Brown, Jr., Wm. Terry, Stephen Rentfro. 1740 The estate of Daniel Monahan, Dr. Cash paid Joseph Tate. Cash paid Edmond Cartledge. 1743--Cash paid Andrew Gaughagin
- Page 425.--87th August, 1751. Joseph Love and Margaret, to Baptist McNabb, 171 acres on Rentfroe's br. of Goose Creek, Rentfrow's line; corner George Robinson. Also 137 acres on Robinson's Br. of Roanoke; corner Bryan Cuff; corner Stephen Rentfroe.
- Page 57.--16th May, 1754. Persilla Rees' bond as administratrix of Thos Rees, with sureties David Cloyd, Stephen Renfro.
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: Stephen Rentfro, 5th May, 1753 (among many others listed)
- Page 34.--17th November, 1761. Baptist ( ) McNabb and Catherine to John Nealey, £155, 171 acres on Rentfroe's Branch of Goose Creek; Rentfroe's line, cor. George Robinson; also 137 acres on Robinson's Branch of Roanoke; cor. Bryan Cuff; cor. Stephen Rentfroe; cor. George Robinson's and Rentfroe's tract.
- Page 113.--17th February, 1762. Christopher Hicks' appraisement by Stephen Rentfro, David Luney, John Luney, recorded--His pay for ranging. Cash he left when he was "tuck prisoner."
- Page 346.--7th April, 1763. David Looney and Mary to Amos Potts and John Potts, Jr., £25, 204 acres by patent dated August, 1761, on waters of Craig's Creek of James River. Teste: Steven ( ) Rentfroe, Margret ( ) Looney. Sent to Pat. Lockhart by your order, 8th October, 1773. (Note: this record shows Stephen Rentfro and Margaret "Looney" as witnessing this deed in April, 1763. This appears to place Stephen and Margaret's marriage date between this date and on 22 June, when they were listed as being married in record below).
- Page 468.--17th June, 1763. Thomas Paxton and Rebeka ( ) to Mathew Robertson, £40, 210 acres on Southeast Branch of James River, part of the tract where Thomas now lives; corner Moses McClure. Teste: Benj. Benit, Stephen ( ) and Margaret ( ) Rentfroe. (Note: this record shows Stephen and Margaret were married by this date).
- JUNE 22, 1763. - (120 ) Robt. Rowland, security for Margaret Rentfro, late Margaret Looney, admx. of her deceased husband, asks counter security.
- MARCH 21, 1764. - (399) Margaret Rentfro, late Margaret Looney, required to give counter security to Robt. Rowland or deliver up the estate to him.