Stephen II Henry "The Sage" , Count of Blois
- Stephen II Henry "The Sage" , Count of Blois
Facts and Events
||Stephen II Henry "The Sage" , Count of Blois
||, Count of Champagne
||Blois, Loir-et-Cher, Centre, France
||Breteuil, Eure, Haute-Normandie, Franceto Adela of Normandy
||bef. 2 Apr 1090
||to Adela of Normandy
Cohabitation without marriage formalities?
||19 May 1102
||Reims, Marne, Champagne, FranceSecond Battle of Ramla
|Ancestral File Number
||House of Blois
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Stephen II Henry (in French, Étienne Henri, in Medieval French, Estienne Henri) ( – 19 May 1102), Count of Blois and Count of Chartres, was the son of Theobald III, count of Blois, and Garsinde du Maine. He is numbered Stephen II after Stephen I, Count of Troyes.
In 1089, upon the death of his father, he became the Count of Blois and Chartres, although Theobald had given him the administration of those holdings in 1074. He was the father of Stephen of England.
Count Stephen was one of the leaders of the First Crusade, often writing enthusiastic letters to his wife Adela of Normandy about the crusade's progress. Stephen was the head of the army council at the Crusaders' siege of Nicaea in 1097. He returned home in 1098 during the lengthy siege of Antioch, without having fulfilled his crusading vow to forge a way to Jerusalem. He was pressured by Adela into making a second pilgrimage, and joined the minor crusade of 1101 in the company of others who had also returned home prematurely. In 1102, Stephen was killed at the Second Battle of Ramla at the age of fifty-seven.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Stephen II, Count of Blois, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia.
- ↑ Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999 (24), 262-26.
- The Royal Lines of Succession, A16A225, p. 8.
- Burke's Peerage, Eng. P, 1949, pref. p. 252.
- Kings of Eng., Eng. 176, p. 10-12, 38-44.
- The Royal Daughters of Eng., Eng. 120, v. 1, p. 3, 10-11.
- Tab. Souv. Gen., France 22, Tab. 32, 48.
- Dict. of Nat'l Biog., Eng. Pub. A, v. 54, p. 151-56.
- The Complete Peerage, G.E.C., Eng. V, v. 3, p. 165-66.
- Stephen II Henry, Comte de Blois, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
- ETIENNE [Henri] de Blois, son of THIBAUT III Comte de Blois & his [first/second wife Gersende du Maine/Gundrada ---] (-murdered Ramla 19 May 1102), in Cawley, Charles. Medieval Lands: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families.
- The above husband is known in all English sources as Stephen, Count of Blois, but inasmuch as his residence and title are in and of France his French name has been used for this compilation. Children No.'s 4 and 5 are only shown in (Eng. 120) and are therefore not fully proven to belong to this family.
Help fund new features!