Facts and Events
The birth county was determined from the pension papers of Jonathan Hughes, in which he said where he was living at the time of the birth of this child. Jonathan said he removed "to Greenbrier County VA in middle of January 1792 until he removed in 1808 to Harrison County, Virginia." A timeline of his parent's various locations, based on Jonathan's pension application is available.
Stephen's 1882 death record at WV Vitals online says that he was 74 years old, s/o Jonathan & Abigail and he was born in Greenbriar Co. The informant was H. F. (Henry F.) Hughes, son.
1850 Census Dist 30, Lewis Co., Virginia
Stephen Hughes 42 M farmer VA
Mary Hughes 42 F VA
Allen W. Hughes 16 M farmer VA
Housten J. Hughes 14? M VA
Racheal E. Hughes 13 F VA
Henry F. Hughes 11 M VA
Anderson H. Hughes 9 M VA
Mary E. Hughes 3 F VA
1860 Census Lewis Co., Virginia
Post Office: Weston
Stephen Hughes 52 M farmer VA
Mary Hughes 53 F VA
Rachel E. Hughes 22 F VA
Henry F. Hughes 21 M VA
Loren Smith 8 F VA
1870 Census Willey, Lewis Co., West Virginia
Post Office: Weston
Hughes, Henry F. 31 M W Farmer VA
Hughes, Virginia 26 F W Keeping house VA
Hughes, Charles S. 2 M W WV
Hughes, Mary B. 9/12 F W WV (Sept)
Hughes, Stephen 63 M W Retired Farmer 5,000 VA
Hughes, Mary 62 F W VA
1880 Census Dist 136, Freemans Creek, Lewis Co., West Virginia
Hughs, Stephen W M 71 head married retired farmer WV WV GA
Hughs, Mary W F 72 wife married at home WV VA VA
Hughs, Anderson W M 37 son married farming WV WV WV
Hughs, Harriet W F 29 dau-in-law married keeping house WV WV WV
Hughs, Alvadore W M 8 grandson single WV WV WV
Hughs, Schuyler W M 7 grandson single WV WV WV
Hughs, Mary A. W F 3 granddau single WV WV WV
Hughs, Arthur W M 1 grandson single WV WV WV
(The record of Stephen's mother being born in GA is an interesting lead as to Abigail's birth location, but so far, I have not been able to verify this by any other means. Stephen's sister Martha's 1880 census also says her mother was born in GA, but it also says her father Jonathan was born in GA also - and that is not correct. So it puts the GA location for Abigail's birth in question.)
- ↑ West Virginia, United States. Vital Research Records Search Selection. (West Virginia, United States: West Virginia Archives and History).
- ↑ Research of Suzan Wedig, rec'd email Oct 2007 and July 2008. (http://www.strato.net/~wedig/genealogy.html).
- United States. 1850 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Dist 30, Lewis Co., Virginia.
- United States. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Lewis Co., Virginia.
- United States. 1870 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Willey, Lewis Co., West Virginia.
- United States. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Freemans Creek, Lewis Co., West Virginia.