Lt. John Stephen Conrad
d.12 August 1822
Facts and Events
Stephen Conrad, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 517.--10th August, 1769. Jacob Lingle and Ann ( ) to Peter Gunrod (s/b Conrad) and Stephen Gunrod (Conrod), £46, 280 acres on Tom's Creek of New River, conveyed to Jacob by Col. James Patton, patentee, corner Casper Barger, Draper's line.
- Page 431.--16th July, 1770. George Conrad (and Catherine ( )), eldest son and heir of Stephen Conrad to Stephen Conrad, brother of said George £__, natural love and affection. Two tracts 125 acres, 106 acres of which is part of 108 acres conveyed to said George by John Burk and 19 acres, part of tract whereon George now lives, on Boon's Run, a branch of Shanandore; also 24 acres patented to Stephen Conrad, father to Stephen, 30th August, 1763, and descended to George as eldest son and heir, lying between Lusk and Boon's Runs; corner John Sellers; corner Nutt's land; corner Wood's land; Kipling's (Kisling's, Rifling's) corner.
Records of Stephen Conrad in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 20, 1776. - (131) Stephen Conrad, vice Frederick Haynes--road overseer.
- Vol. 2 - 1780--March 27th, Following Militia officers qualify, viz: Josiah Harrison, Captain; Jacob Havener, Ensign; Richard Reagen, Captain; Elliott Rutherford, Ensign; Jeremiah Beesley, Captain; Joseph Rutherford, Lieutenant; Stephen Conrad, Lieutenant; Robt. Smith, Lieutenant. Relief of Jemima, wife of Emanuel Kelly, a soldier of United States.
- Vol. 2 - McGahey vs. Conrad--O. S. 153; N. S. 54--Complainants are, viz: Tobias R. McGahey and Mary Eve, his wife (formerly widow of Peter Conrad who died testate. Will in Rockingham). Peter Conrade's will of Rockingham; wife, Mary Eve; brothers and sisters, viz: Catharine Miller, Elizabeth Pirkey, Stephen Conrad, Margaret Pirkey, Nicholas Conrade; legatee, Joseph Conrade, living in Madison County; legatee, Christian Conrade, living in Pennsylvania; wife's sister, Christine, wife of John Hammer; wife's sister, Barbara, wife of Henry Sellers; brother, Stephen Conrad. Picked Mountain Congregation. Dated 2d June, 1800. Recorded in Rockingham, September-October, 1800.
- Conrad vs. Yancey--O. S. 291; N. S. 103--Deed, 24th November, 1804, by John Maggert to Stephen Conrode of Rockingham, right to take potter's clay on grantor's land adjoining Layton Yancey, Honorius Powel, the Mountain and Shenandoah River. Recorded in Rockingham, April 1805
Help fund new features!