Facts and Events
Johan Stephen Conrad was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Stephen Conrad received a patent for 24 acres "lying between Lusk and Boon's Runs; corner John Sellers; corner Nutt's land; corner Wood's land; Kipling's (Kisling's, Rifling's) corner" on 30 August 1763, as proven in the record below (this was near the South Branch of the Shenandoah River):
- Page 431.--16th July, 1770. George Conrad (and Catherine ( )), eldest son and heir of Stephen Conrad to Stephen Conrad, brother of said George £__, natural love and affection. Two tracts 125 acres, 106 acres of which is part of 108 acres conveyed to said George by John Burk and 19 acres, part of tract whereon George now lives, on Boon's Run, a branch of Shanandore; also 24 acres patented to Stephen Conrad, father to Stephen, 30th August, 1763, and descended to George as eldest son and heir, lying between Lusk and Boon's Runs; corner John Sellers; corner Nutt's land; corner Wood's land; Kipling's (Kisling's, Rifling's) corner.
- Page 902.--25th April, 1765. James and Moses Green to Steven Conrad, £60, 234 acres, part of 2000 acres patented to James Wood and Robert Green, on Boon's Run between Picked Mountain and Shanandore River, between John Burke's and Runkle's land. Teste: Henry Long, Jacob ( ) Parshinger, George Conrad. Delivered: George Conrad, August Court, 1776.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 742.--21st November, 1764. Stephen Conrad and Catherine ( ) to George Huffman, Jr., £85, 220 acres; corner Wood's land on Boon's Run. Delivered: Geo. Huffman, 21st May, 1771.
Estate Records of Stephen Conrad
- Page 46.--26th October, 1767. Catherine Conrad, widow of Stephen Conrad, on account of ill health and age refuses to administer on Stephen's estate and asks to have her eldest son George Conrad appointed. Teste" Jacob Purkey, Henry Lung.
- Page 47.--17th November, 1767. George qualifies as above.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1767. - (338) George Conrad qualifies administrator of Stephen Conrad.
- Page 96.--24th November, 1767. Stephen Conrod's estate appraised, by Jacob Bare, Mathias Kersh, Archd. Huston.
- Page 239.--17th August, 1769. Settlement recorded of estate of Stephen Conrad (Geo. Conrod, executor)--Paid, viz: Jacob Bear, John Fudge, Jno. Michl. Stophelmire, Mathias Kersh, Michl. Summy, Jno. Seller, Valentine Mitcher, Paul Lingal, Mauks Swadley, Jacob Archinbright, Peter Smith, Saml. Maggot, Michl. Shirley, Jacob Shell, Christian Pikle, Jacob Peters, Conrad Peterfish, George Fullingar, Geo. Mallo.
- Page 241.--26th November, 1767. Stephen Conrad's estate sold to, viz: John Coutch, Lewis Fisher, Stephen Hensbengar, Zachariah Rexrode, Henry Tamewood, Peachey Gilmore.
- Page 431.--19th August, 1776, Stephen Conrad's further settlement-- To paid John Sworback, the minister, part of the testator's subscription; by a tract of land sold my brother. George Conrad, executor.
Records of Stephen Conrad in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 28.--28th June, 1758. Peter Moser's estate settlement, by Michael Mallow, allowed 19th May, 1761--To Cathron Moser, Jno. Hopkins, Danl. Love, James McDole, Jno. Wright, Fardrick Kestor, Jacob Harper, Andrew Arewen, Powl Shaver, Eaform Love, Nickles Hofman, Edward McGary. (2nd vendue held 8th November, 1758?) To Alex. Miller, James McGill, Jno. McCoy. (3d vendue held 3d October, 1760.) Credit by Patterkole money received on Peter Moser's account. From Jno. Madison, from George Caplinger, from Henry Carr, from Captain Cartley (Keartley), Capt. Abraham Smith (patterole money), from Captain Smith, for provender; from Captain Smith, on account of Wm. Wood; from Jno. Hogleer; from Capt. Ephraim Love, for provender and paterrole (patrol) money; from Capt. Smith, patterole money. Paid Jacob Rolman, paid Daniel Smith for clorking, paid Fredk. Opp for schooling, paid Fredk. Easter for salt and store goods, paid Johnson Hill for weaving, paid John Hughes, paid Stephen Conrad, the blacksmith.
- Page 358.--8th February, 1759. Vendue of John Wingord's (Vinegard) estate--To Henry Colar, Christopher Kishlinger, Christopher Wingord, Ludwick Francisco, Augustine Price, Tetrach Couch, Conrad Bloze, Frederick Ermantrout, Jacob Nicholas, Margt. Wilmouth, Brice Russell, Alvenus Byar, Jacob Parsinger, Charles Man, Nicholas Millberry, Jno. Craig, Danl. Price, Jno. Fuge, Jacob Man, Henry Perkey, Nicholas Null, Jas. Laird, Charles Ty (Fy?), Paslin Hover, Valentine Cough, Valentine Cook, Valentine Pence, Robt. Scott, Jacob Man, Stephen Conrad, Christian Tetrach, Valentine Butcher, Peter Herman, Wm. Beard, John Couch.
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1759: page 10, Stephen Gurod, alias Conrad.
- Page 479.--13th August, 1762. Jacob Coger, of Hallifax County, to Michael Coger, £100, 455 acres on Shanando, part of 930 acres patented to Jacob, 24th April, 1753. Cor. Thomas McCready (conveyed from Jacob), the patent lines. Teste: Felta Kop (Valentine Cope), Stephen Conrad. Delivered: M. Coger, 26th April, 1763.
- Page 358.--22d August, 1764. James Frazier's bond (with Michael Coager, Stephen Conrad), as administrator of Wm. Frazier.
- Page 469.--21st May, 1766. Bamet Man and Margret ( ) to Georgev Man, £20, 100 acres, part of tract patented to Barnet, 12th May, 1759, on Stoney Run, corner Jacob Man's land. Teste: Jacob Parsinger, Steven Conrod, John Man.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1767. - (384) Stephen Conrad vs. George Hoffmans.--Abates by plaintiff's death.
- Page 384.--20th June, 1769. John Burk to Nicholas Alstot, £200, 163 acres, part of 400 patented to Lewis and John Neal, 1st December, 1740, and by them conveyed to William Burk, deceased, and by him devised to said John; corner Steven Conrod. Delivered: Peter Conrod. 21st April. 1784.
- Page 182.--22d May, 1771. George Huffman ( ) to John Herdman, £60, 230 acres conveyed to George by Stephen Conrad. 21st November, 1764 corner Wood's land, on Boon's Run. Teste: Thos. Bowyer and Wm S. Madison.
Note: the following suit in Augusta County helps to list many of Stephen Conrad's children:
- Vol. 2 - McGahey vs. Conrad--O. S. 153; N. S. 54--Complainants are, viz: Tobias R. McGahey and Mary Eve, his wife (formerly widow of Peter Conrad who died testate. Will in Rockingham). Peter Conrade's will of Rockingham; wife, Mary Eve; brothers and sisters, viz: Catharine Miller, Elizabeth Pirkey, Stephen Conrad, Margaret Pirkey, Nicholas Conrade; legatee, Joseph Conrade, living in Madison County; legatee, Christian Conrade, living in Pennsylvania; wife's sister, Christine, wife of John Hammer; wife's sister, Barbara, wife of Henry Sellers; brother, Stephen Conrad. Picked Mountain Congregation. Dated 2d June, 1800. Recorded in Rockingham, September-October, 1800.
Information on Stephen Conrad
From Ancestry.com post:
Original Conrads in Virginia, moving to D.C.
shootcraps (View posts) Posted: 26 Aug 2009 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Conrad, Parker, Stahlschmidt
I am looking for information on the Conrad family that settled in Rockingham Co, Va (now Harrisonburg, Va). The following is the tombstone inscription at East Point Cemetery in Rockingham:
"John Stephen Conrad Sr., his wife Anna Catarina Stahlschmidt and more than fifty decendants are buried in this lot outlined by 14 granite posts. Coming from Germany they settled here about 1758. John Stephen Sr. died in 1767 and his wife in 1768. Their rough unlettered gravestones now support this tablet. East Point Cemetery thus began."
I am specifically looking for the line with Charles E. Conrad was born abt 1834 in Virginia. He married Rebecca Parker, then Virginia Parker (maybe cousins). His father may have been David Conrad, born abt 1793. I believe that David maybe a grandson or uncle of John Stephen Conrad and his wife Anna.
If you see a connection, please email me at Ourfamilylegacy@aol.com